|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does the little girl in the arroyo remind Ishi?
2. Why is Ishi amazed when the Stranger tells him that they will travel by train?
(a) He is surprised that the train pulls a wagon.
(b) He did not realize that they would be going that far.
(c) Ishi had expected to walk.
(d) He is surprised that the saldu would allow him on the train.
3. Why is Ishi concerned about Tushi and Elder Uncle when he gets to the creek?
(a) The rain has been heavy, so the creek is high and muddy.
(b) The saldu now know the trail that they had taken.
(c) He hopes they are not angry with him for not being prepared.
(d) They are both very sick when he finds them.
4. What does Ishi hear when he is swimming in Banya Creek?
(a) He hears the howling of a wolf.
(b) He hears Tushi's spirit calling him.
(c) He hears the Monster.
(d) He hears the noise of a saldu camp.
5. Why does Ishi give the enclosed note to Majapa?
(a) Ishi is overwhelmed by the package and does not want to read the note.
(b) Majapa asks Ishi if he can read the note.
(c) Ishi does not know how to read, so he asks Majapa to read the note.
(d) Ishi does not realize that the note is for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Majapa agree to start their journey in Gahma?
2. When the Sheriff asks Ishi whether he would like to return to the Yahi world, why does Ishi decline?
3. What does Ishi do after Majapa and Maliwal are asleep?
4. What does Tushi's basket smell like to Ishi?
5. How does the crowd of saldu react to Ishi when he tries to speak to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ishi's friends show respect for him after his death?
2. What evidence in Section 4 of "The Ending People" reveals Mother's emotional strength?
3. How does Ishi discover a way of preserving the Yahi world?
4. How does Majapa comfort Maliwal after Ishi's death?
5. How is Ishi affected by seeing the baskets that Tushi had made?
6. What are Ishi's initial reactions to the City?
7. Why is Ishi hesitant about bringing Majapa and Maliwal into the Yahi world?
8. Why does Ishi choose to return to the museum rather than stay in the Yahi world?
9. Why is it important for Ishi to teach Maliwal?
10. How do Mother and Ishi support each other after they are separated from Elder Uncle and Tushi?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)