|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tushi suggest the gray pine actually is?
(a) The Guardian of Wowunupo.
(b) Grandfather's spirit tree.
(c) The Sky Pole.
(d) The beginning of the Trail to the Land of the Dead.
2. Why does Ishi retrieve his arrow from the tree into which he had misfired?
(a) It takes a lot of work to make an arrow, and the arrowhead is treasured.
(b) He does not want any saldu to see it and suspect that there are Yahi nearby.
(c) He is embarrassed that someone will see it and know that his first shot missed.
(d) He wants to keep it as a memento of his first deer.
3. What is Ishi's job in the spring?
(a) To catch salmon.
(b) To wash the baskets.
(c) To grind salmon bones into flour.
(d) To clean the feather and fur wraps.
4. How are the mountain fish that Timawi and Ishi catch different from the fish in the canyon?
(a) The mountain fish are poisonous.
(b) The mountain fish are larger than and not as flavorful as the canyon fish.
(c) The mountain fish move more slowly and are easier to catch.
(d) The mountain fish are smaller and richer than the canyon fish.
5. Where does Tushi say she will keep the sweetgrass bracelet that Timawi made for her?
(a) With her treasures.
(b) In the woman's shelter.
(c) In Mother's treasure bundle.
(d) She will wear it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "tube-stick" that Tushi and Ishi see the saldu using?
2. What is the purpose of the sticks that Ishi makes for Elder Uncle?
3. According to the Yahi creation story, into what did the god Kaltsuna transform after he finished creating humans?
4. According to their plan, where will Tushi and Elder Uncle go to hide if they need to leave the cave village?
5. Why does Ishi release the rabbit that he catches while he is out collecting lichen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Elder Uncle and Grandfather begin to prepare Ishi for manhood in Section 5 of "The Moon Seasons?"
2. What makes Ishi's hunting trip with Elder Uncle so memorable?
3. According to Timawi, how were the seven remaining members of the Yahi tribe able to survive?
4. What assurance does Grandmother offer to Mother and Tushi after she realizes they have been crying over her approaching death?
5. Why does Ishi choose not to kill the snow rabbit?
6. How is Ishi's bow important for his development into manhood?
7. Why does Ishi go the Black Rock?
8. What comment does Grandfather make regarding Ishi's eating after he returns from his journey?
9. What reservations does Grandfather have about moving the tribe to the mountain?
10. Why does Elder Uncle say that they should no longer hunt on the mountain next to the village?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)