|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishi know that the saldu have made it to the ledge of their village?
(a) He can smell them approaching.
(b) He has had a dream that warned him of this.
(c) He hears their knives cutting through the brush.
(d) He can see them from the top of the pine tree.
2. What kind of place does Ishi find for the location of the new village?
(a) A beach area along the riverside.
(b) A well-hidden clearing in the forest.
(c) An abandoned saldu cabin.
(d) An abandoned grizzly bear den.
3. Why does Ishi not like the Green Cave?
(a) Ishi was once attacked by a bear at Green Cave.
(b) Grandfather has told him that evil spirits live in the cave.
(c) The bones of many Yahi are buried in the cave.
(d) It is dark and full of unknown creatures.
4. Why do Elder Uncle and Ishi spend time observing the elk?
(a) They are in awe of its beauty and strength.
(b) They think the elk may be difficult to kill and are deciding how to hunt it.
(c) They are trying to learn to imitate the elk call.
(d) They are trying to decide what kind of animal the elk is.
5. How does Ishi think his mother feels when he sees that she is wearing her sweetgrass bracelet?
(a) Ishi thinks his mother is angry.
(b) Ishi thinks that his mother feels lonely.
(c) Ishi thinks his mother feels sad.
(d) Ishi thinks his mother is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ishi's new look out point better than Black Rock?
2. How long is Ishi away looking for a new location for the village?
3. Where does Tushi say she will keep the sweetgrass bracelet that Timawi made for her?
4. What worries Ishi when he sees the saldu stop at Black Rock?
5. According to the Yahi creation story, from what were the first humans created?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ishi's relationship with Timawi similar to his relationship with Tushi?
2. What reservations does Grandfather have about moving the tribe to the mountain?
3. What details about the Harvest Feast suggest that Ishi and his family are the last of their tribe?
4. Why does Ishi go the Black Rock?
5. What does Tushi's dream seem to foretell, and how does Ishi respond to her dream?
6. Where does Ishi decide to go on his journey?
7. How has the relationship between Ishi and Tushi changed since they first came to Wowunupo?
8. How does Tushi's contribution to the move conflict with the traditional expectations that the Yahi have for women?
9. What does Grandfather say to Elder Uncle in order to reassure him after Timawi and Ishi leave?
10. How is the Yahi creation story similar to the Judeo-Christian creation story (the creation story of the white man)?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)