|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Elder Uncle give Ishi and Timawi regarding the saldu?
(a) Train faithfully and look for an opportunity to seek revenge.
(b) Forgive them and offer them peace.
(c) Study them and learn their ways.
(d) Do not think about the saldu; avoid them in thought and action.
2. How much time has passed at the beginning of The Cave section?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
3. Why do Elder Uncle and Ishi spend time observing the elk?
(a) They are trying to decide what kind of animal the elk is.
(b) They are in awe of its beauty and strength.
(c) They think the elk may be difficult to kill and are deciding how to hunt it.
(d) They are trying to learn to imitate the elk call.
4. What does Tushi suggest the gray pine actually is?
(a) Grandfather's spirit tree.
(b) The Guardian of Wowunupo.
(c) The Sky Pole.
(d) The beginning of the Trail to the Land of the Dead.
5. Why do Elder Uncle and Ishi shoot the young buck rather than the old leader of the elk herd?
(a) Ishi and Elder Uncle are not skilled enough to kill the old elk.
(b) Elder Uncle suggests that the old buck would give tough meat.
(c) Elder Uncle observes that the herd would be lost without the old buck.
(d) The young buck is closer to them and easier to take.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elder Uncle purify Ishi of any danger that might have followed him from the spirit world?
2. How are the mountain fish that Timawi and Ishi catch different from the fish in the canyon?
3. What is Ishi's reward for constructing a superb bow?
4. What regret about Timawi doe Tushi express to Ishi?
5. What advice does Elder Uncle give to the tribe after Timawi expresses his anger with Ishi for letting the saldu escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Elder Uncle and Grandfather begin to prepare Ishi for manhood in Section 5 of "The Moon Seasons?"
2. What comment does Grandfather make regarding Ishi's eating after he returns from his journey?
3. How do the saldu treat Ishi's village when they discover it?
4. How does Ishi know what to do with Timawi's body after he finds him dead in the woods?
5. Why does Elder Uncle say that they should no longer hunt on the mountain next to the village?
6. Why does Elder Uncle agree to move into the abandoned bear den in spite of his reservations?
7. What does Tushi refuse to wear the sweetgrass bracelet that Timawi wants to give her?
8. What does Ishi discover when he returns to the village after he moves Mother?
9. According to Timawi, how were the seven remaining members of the Yahi tribe able to survive?
10. Where does Ishi decide to go on his journey?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)