|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed since the Yahi have moved to Wowunupo?
(a) Over twenty years.
(b) Over twelve years.
(c) Almost five years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
2. How does Ishi know that the saldu have made it to the ledge of their village?
(a) He hears their knives cutting through the brush.
(b) He can smell them approaching.
(c) He has had a dream that warned him of this.
(d) He can see them from the top of the pine tree.
3. According to their plan, where will Tushi and Elder Uncle go to hide if they need to leave the cave village?
(a) Ishi's fishing shelter.
(b) Lookout Point.
(c) Green Cave.
(d) Back to Tuliyani.
4. According to the story that Grandfather tells, where did the old woman hide the fire that she had stolen from the Fire People?
(a) In her ear.
(b) In her stomach.
(c) Under her shawl.
(d) In her mouth.
5. What advice does Elder Uncle give Ishi and Timawi regarding the saldu?
(a) Study them and learn their ways.
(b) Do not think about the saldu; avoid them in thought and action.
(c) Train faithfully and look for an opportunity to seek revenge.
(d) Forgive them and offer them peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Elder Uncle give to the tribe after Timawi expresses his anger with Ishi for letting the saldu escape?
2. After Ishi returns from his journey, what does he notice about Timawi?
3. How does Mother respond to the cave after she sees it?
4. By the time that Ishi and Tushi see the saldu at the marsh, how long have the Yahi been in hiding?
5. Ishi learns to stay awake for how many nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandfather say to Elder Uncle in order to reassure him after Timawi and Ishi leave?
2. What comment does Grandfather make regarding Ishi's eating after he returns from his journey?
3. How has the relationship between Ishi and Tushi changed since they first came to Wowunupo?
4. What does Tushi refuse to wear the sweetgrass bracelet that Timawi wants to give her?
5. How do the saldu treat Ishi's village when they discover it?
6. How does Tushi's contribution to the move conflict with the traditional expectations that the Yahi have for women?
7. Why does Ishi get the privilege of shooting the first deer of the season?
8. Why does Ishi go the Black Rock?
9. How does Ishi know what to do with Timawi's body after he finds him dead in the woods?
10. What assurance does Ishi give to Timawi when Timawi observes that Tushi prefers Ishi's company?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)