|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Elder Uncle give Ishi and Timawi regarding the saldu?
(a) Do not think about the saldu; avoid them in thought and action.
(b) Forgive them and offer them peace.
(c) Study them and learn their ways.
(d) Train faithfully and look for an opportunity to seek revenge.
2. After the deaths of Grandfather and Grandmother, what name does Ishi use to refer to himself and the remaining Yahi?
(a) The Ancestors.
(b) The First People, the Beginners.
(c) The Ending, or Last, People.
(d) The People of Wowunupo.
3. How does Ishi attempt to hide Mother from the saldu who enter the village?
(a) He hides her in a bush just outside the village.
(b) He takes her with him up into the boughs of the pine tree.
(c) He covers her with a cape and blanket.
(d) He moves her into the darkness at the very back of the cave.
4. According to Elder Uncle's story, why did Ishi's father kill the saldu who had come to their village?
(a) The saldu had killed and scalped a man from a neighboring village.
(b) The saldu had stolen food from the village.
(c) The saldu had shot a hole through the men's house.
(d) The saldu had threatened Ishi's mother.
5. To whom do the adults compare Ishi now that he has grown?
(a) Older Brother, Elder Uncle.
(d) Younger Brother, Ishi's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tushi suggest the gray pine actually is?
2. What concern does Mother express about Elder Uncle's decision to have Ishi sleep in the men's house?
3. What does the saldu intend to do with Tushi?
4. How tall is Black Rock?
5. How does Timawi respond to Elder Uncle's suggestion that he teach Ishi about what he had done wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ishi get the privilege of shooting the first deer of the season?
2. Why does Elder Uncle agree to move into the abandoned bear den in spite of his reservations?
3. How has the relationship between Ishi and Tushi changed since they first came to Wowunupo?
4. What observations do the older members of the tribe make about Ishi?
5. Why does Elder Uncle say that they should no longer hunt on the mountain next to the village?
6. How does Tushi's contribution to the move conflict with the traditional expectations that the Yahi have for women?
7. What does Tushi's dream seem to foretell, and how does Ishi respond to her dream?
8. Why does Ishi choose not to kill the snow rabbit?
9. Why does Ishi go the Black Rock?
10. What does Ishi discover when he returns to the village after he moves Mother?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)