|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Ishi continue to live in the museum?
(a) For many moons.
(b) For twenty more years.
(c) About a year.
(d) Only four more changings of the moon.
2. One day, Mother tells Ishi that he looks like a hunter again and that she no longer fears for him. How soon after this does she pass away?
(a) One week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
3. Why is Ishi amazed when the Stranger tells him that they will travel by train?
(a) He did not realize that they would be going that far.
(b) He is surprised that the train pulls a wagon.
(c) Ishi had expected to walk.
(d) He is surprised that the saldu would allow him on the train.
4. What does Ishi make in the museum and give to Majapa?
(a) A Yahi flute.
(b) A Yahi basket.
(c) A Yahi arrowhead.
(d) A Yahi harpoon.
5. When the Sheriff asks Ishi whether he would like to return to the Yahi world, why does Ishi decline?
(a) Ishi does not want the saldu to know where the Yahi lands are.
(b) Ishi says the Yahi world no longer exists.
(c) Ishi does not trust the Sheriff to return him safely.
(d) Ishi is excited about the opportunity to explore.
6. What service does Ishi offer to the museum?
(a) He offers to keep the rooms clean and to polish the artifacts.
(b) He offers to make a variety of Yahi objects for the museum's displays.
(c) He offers to guide the visitors through the exhibits.
(d) He offers to tell his story to the museum visitors.
7. According to Ishi, when should they go to visit the Yahi world?
(a) At the time of the Dry Canyon (summer).
(b) At the time of the Harvest (fall).
(c) At the time that the Bear sleeps (winter).
(d) At the time of the New Year (spring).
8. What items are buried with Ishi?
(a) His best bow and five arrows, a basket of acorn meal, and his treasure bundle.
(b) His treasure bundle, a bag of tobacco, and a basket of acorns.
(c) His pipe and tobacco, a handful of acorn meal, and his rock-glass knife.
(d) Tushi's baskets, a handful of tobacco, and seven arrowheads.
9. What is Ishi's visitor talking about when they are having tea?
(a) He is talking about the war across the ocean.
(b) He is talking about fishing in the Outer Ocean.
(c) He is telling him about the city.
(d) He is describing an archaeoligical discovery.
10. Why does Majapa agree to start their journey in Gahma?
(a) That is where Ishi was born, where his journey began.
(b) He has heard that it is a beautiful place.
(c) It is the closest village along their journey.
(d) He is happy to go anywhere that Ishi wants to go.
11. Of whom does the little girl in the arroyo remind Ishi?
12. Once Ishi realizes that his loved ones are no longer wandering, where does he decide to go?
(a) Back to Wowunupo.
(b) To Ancestor Cave.
(c) To Three Knolls.
(d) To the Land of the Dead.
13. What do the waves leave for Ishi when he stands on the shore?
(a) A piece of sea glass.
(b) A white shell.
(c) A heart-shaped rock.
(d) A broken arrowhead.
14. What does the doctor's son tell Ishi he would like to be when he grows up?
(a) An archaeologist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A museum curator.
(d) A hunter.
15. Why does Ishi at first refuse the food and drink that the Sheriff offers him?
(a) The food does not look appetizing.
(b) He is too afraid to be hungry.
(c) He thinks it might be poisoned and too many people are staring at him.
(d) He is still in mourning, so he is fasting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed since Ishi's arrival in the City by "To the Edge of the World, Section 5?"
2. What does Ishi share with Majapa as they sit on the bank of Banya Creek?
3. in "To the Edge of the World, Section 6," how much time has passed since Ishi's arrival at the museum?
4. Why does Ishi not disturb the icicles that have formed on the entrance to the cave?
5. What suggests to Ishi that the mother bear he sees is the same one that fought him for the cave?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)