|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Majapa, why had he and his friend come to the Yahi world after the heat moons?
(a) They were looking for more artifacts for the museum.
(b) They wanted to learn more about the geography of the area.
(c) They wanted to find and help Ishi and his mother.
(d) They were hunting for elk.
2. Why does Mother pour the water out of the baskets every evening?
(a) Water left overnight will be harmful to the body.
(b) Pouring the water out will prevent bugs from gathering near the shelter.
(c) A basket of water will tempt a spirit to stay close by.
(d) Wild animals will be drawn to the water if it is left in the basket.
3. Where does Ishi go in order to try to find traces of the Lost Ones?
(a) To Ancestor Cave.
(b) To Tuliyani.
(c) To all of the places that he and Tushi went to when they were children.
(d) To Lookout Point.
4. What does Tushi's basket smell like to Ishi?
(a) It smells like Tushi's skin.
(b) It smells like the cave at Wowunupo.
(c) It smells like dried acorns.
(d) It smells like Banya Creek.
5. Who will go on the trip to the Yahi world?
(a) Ishi, Majapa, and Maliwal.
(b) Ishi, Majapa, Maliwal, and the Kuwi.
(c) Ishi, Majapa, Maliwal, and another museum man.
(d) Ishi and Majapa.
6. What does the doctor's son tell Ishi he would like to be when he grows up?
(a) An archaeologist.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A museum curator.
(d) A doctor.
7. How does Ishi die?
(a) On the shores of Outer Ocean.
(b) In a hospital room surrounded by his friends.
(c) Back at Tuliyani with Majapa and Maliwal.
(d) Among his friends at the museum.
8. What is Ishi looking for when he wanders into the saldu village?
(a) The Trail to the Land of the Dead.
(b) His old fishing shelter.
(c) The entrance to the cave at Wowunupo.
(d) The Outer Ocean.
9. What do Majapa and Maliwal scatter over the waves as their sacrifice?
(a) Barley meal.
(b) Sacred tobacco.
(c) Acorn meal.
10. What is Ishi's visitor talking about when they are having tea?
(a) He is describing an archaeoligical discovery.
(b) He is talking about the war across the ocean.
(c) He is talking about fishing in the Outer Ocean.
(d) He is telling him about the city.
11. One day, Mother tells Ishi that he looks like a hunter again and that she no longer fears for him. How soon after this does she pass away?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
12. What does Ishi do after Majapa and Maliwal are asleep?
(a) He takes a sweat bath and bathes in the river.
(b) He watches them and prays over them.
(c) He goes to Ancestor Cave to pray and make a sacrifice.
(d) He goes into the woods to hunt for deer.
13. What event of concern to Majapa may take him away from the museum?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Cold War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Vietnam War.
14. What is inside the package that the expressman delivers?
(a) Ishi's fishing nets and harpoon.
(b) Tushi's treasure bundle.
(c) Ishi's old otterskin quiver and his rock-glass knife and case.
(d) Ishi's old juniper bow and arrows.
15. What does Ishi believe is responsible for holding him to life?
(a) The voices of the Lost Ones.
(b) The Spirit of Waganupa.
(c) His own strong will to live.
(d) Kaltsuna and Jupka.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Ishi looking when he goes to the mountain?
2. How long do Ishi and his friends stay in the Yahi world?
3. Where do Ishi and Mother move after Tushi and Elder Uncle disappear?
4. Who is the first saldu to speak to Ishi?
5. For how long does Ishi sleep after he buries Mother?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)