|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishi give the enclosed note to Majapa?
(a) Majapa asks Ishi if he can read the note.
(b) Ishi does not know how to read, so he asks Majapa to read the note.
(c) Ishi does not realize that the note is for him.
(d) Ishi is overwhelmed by the package and does not want to read the note.
2. Why does Ishi not take the basket of Tushi's that Majapa offers him?
(a) It was not one of her best pieces of work.
(b) He says that it is a part of the museum's treasures and belongs there.
(c) It brings too many sad memories for him.
(d) He says that he wants nothing to do with the old life.
3. When is a Yahi allowed to kill and eat Porcupine?
(a) Only when Porcupine is in the Yahi village.
(b) Only if the Porcupine is threatening a Yahi.
(c) Only if a Yahi is starving and has lost his bow and arrows and harpoon.
(d) Only when the Yahi is in mourning.
4. How does Ishi die?
(a) Back at Tuliyani with Majapa and Maliwal.
(b) In a hospital room surrounded by his friends.
(c) Among his friends at the museum.
(d) On the shores of Outer Ocean.
5. How does Ishi decide he will preserve the Yahi Way?
(a) He will return to the Yahi world and live as he used to.
(b) He will marry and raise a child who will carry on the Yahi tradition.
(c) He will teach children who visit the museum about the Yahi Way.
(d) He will tell stories and describe the Way so that Majapa can write it down.
6. When the Sheriff asks Ishi whether he would like to return to the Yahi world, why does Ishi decline?
(a) Ishi does not want the saldu to know where the Yahi lands are.
(b) Ishi says the Yahi world no longer exists.
(c) Ishi does not trust the Sheriff to return him safely.
(d) Ishi is excited about the opportunity to explore.
7. Whose Dream do Ishi and the others follow as they travel into the Yahi world?
(a) Majapa's Dream.
(b) Ishi's Dream.
(c) Maliwal's Dream.
(d) Tushi's Dream.
8. What does Ishi ask to do before he puts on the saldu clothing?
(a) He wants to wash.
(b) He wants to make an offering to the Spirits.
(c) He wants to use the bathroom.
(d) He wants to eat.
9. As Majapa and Maliwal leave Outer Ocean on the final day of their prayers, what does the moon look like?
(a) A Yahi water basket.
(b) Ishi's face smiling down upon them.
(c) A Yahi bow at full draw.
(d) An acorn top.
10. What does the Sheriff give to Ishi that makes him smile?
(a) A plate of food and a cup of water.
(b) A warm blanket.
(c) A cigar and a smile.
(d) Fresh clothes.
11. According to Ishi, what is the best saldu magic?
(a) Black coffee.
(c) The "quick-fire" at the end of the match stick.
(d) The "firesticks" that they use to hunt.
12. What does Ishi make in the museum and give to Majapa?
(a) A Yahi harpoon.
(b) A Yahi basket.
(c) A Yahi arrowhead.
(d) A Yahi flute.
13. What does Ishi share with Majapa as they sit on the bank of Banya Creek?
(a) His story about his Dream.
(b) His deerskin blanket.
(c) His acorn mush.
(d) His pipe and tobacco.
14. Why does Mother pour the water out of the baskets every evening?
(a) A basket of water will tempt a spirit to stay close by.
(b) Wild animals will be drawn to the water if it is left in the basket.
(c) Water left overnight will be harmful to the body.
(d) Pouring the water out will prevent bugs from gathering near the shelter.
15. When does Majapa wish to visit the Yahi world?
(a) When the museum closes for the summer.
(b) On the anniversary of Ishi's arrival in the saldu village.
(c) At the beginning of the Harvest.
(d) When the salmon return in the spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishi's visitor talking about when they are having tea?
2. What ritual does Ishi share with Majapa and Maliwal when they first arrive in Gahma?
3. What suggests to Ishi that the mother bear he sees is the same one that fought him for the cave?
4. What is contained in the notebooks that Majapa shows to Ishi?
5. What do Majapa and Maliwal scatter over the waves as their sacrifice?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)