|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Cave Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ishi's job in the spring?
(a) To clean the feather and fur wraps.
(b) To wash the baskets.
(c) To catch salmon.
(d) To grind salmon bones into flour.
2. Why does Timawi carry the elk antlers on his head?
(a) The antlers are so heavy that he rests them on top of his own head.
(b) Ishi had asked him to do this as a signal that the hunt had been successful.
(c) It is a Yahi tradition that gives thanks to the gods.
(d) He wants to trick Ishi into thinking that an elk is approaching.
3. Why do Ishi and his family smile when they hear the rush and roar of the wind coming down the canyon?
(a) They know that the winds will destroy the saldu settlement.
(b) They know that they winds are the spirits of Yahi ancestors.
(c) They know that the winds will drive the animals down into the canyon.
(d) They know that the winds mean that spring has arrived.
4. What is Tushi collecting while Ishi counts Beaver?
(a) Wild berries.
(b) Boadicea bulbs.
5. Why does Ishi retrieve his arrow from the tree into which he had misfired?
(a) He wants to keep it as a memento of his first deer.
(b) It takes a lot of work to make an arrow, and the arrowhead is treasured.
(c) He does not want any saldu to see it and suspect that there are Yahi nearby.
(d) He is embarrassed that someone will see it and know that his first shot missed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ishi and Timawi know that they are near a herd of deer?
2. What reason does Timawi give to explain why it is acceptable to steal saldu food?
3. According to the Yahi creation story, from what were the first humans created?
4. How does Ishi think his mother feels when he sees that she is wearing her sweetgrass bracelet?
5. What do the women do while the men hunt for deer?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)