|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Ending People Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishi burn off his hair?
(a) He believes that it will keep the saldu away.
(b) It is a sign of mourning for the family members that have died.
(c) He falls asleep too close to the fire.
(d) As a man, he must keep his hair short.
2. Why does Ishi release the rabbit that he catches while he is out collecting lichen?
(a) The rabbit came because it was curious, not because Ishi had been hunting.
(b) The rabbit appears to be as hungry and weak as he and his family.
(c) Ishi thinks the rabbit is too cute to eat.
(d) Somehow, the rabbit reminds Ishi of Tushi.
3. One day, Mother tells Ishi that he looks like a hunter again and that she no longer fears for him. How soon after this does she pass away?
(a) Five days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
4. What detail does Grandmother add to the end of Grandfather's story about Jikula and Ahalamila?
(a) The Yahi women are responsible for ensuring that the men remain peaceful.
(b) The son of Ahalamila, Topuna, avenged his father's death.
(c) Jikula felt remorseful and sought out forgiveness from Ahalamila's mother.
(d) Ahalamila's mother forgave Jikula and brought peace to the Yahi.
5. From Tuliyani, which direction is the Trail to the Land of the Dead?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the east.
(c) To the north.
(d) To the south.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ishi returns from his journey, what does he notice about Timawi?
2. Where do Ishi and Mother move after Tushi and Elder Uncle disappear?
3. What prediction does Mother make about the New Year?
4. Why does Tushi spread black raspberries and manzanita berries onto mats?
5. What is the "tube-stick" that Tushi and Ishi see the saldu using?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)