|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dinesen believe about her relationship with Bjornvig?
2. Where did Dinesen go when she needed a break from her life for awhile?
3. What was one thing Dinesen had trouble adjusting to upon her return to Denmark?
4. Which of the following did Dinesen NOT auction off?
5. What topic did Thomas suggest for Dinesen's writing during this period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dinesen's sensibilities and interests slot her work as Romanticism.
2. What is known about the depths of despair Dinesen experienced after the loss of the coffee plantation and how did Deny's death, ironically, free her in a way?
3. How did Dinesen fare when trying to run the coffee plantation on her own and why was her temporary return to Denmark not a positive move for her?
4. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig, and what role did he play in Dinesen's life?
5. What was the underlying theme in the stories contained in "Winter's Tales" written during the early years of the war?
6. In what ways was Dinesen alienated from her own people during the war?
7. How well did Dinesen adapt to her return to Denmark?
8. How did the syphilis take its toll on Dinesen, and who helped her through this difficult time?
9. In what ways did Dinesen suffer after her departure from Africa?
10. Why did Bjornvig leave Dinesen after four years together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the mid-20th century and why Dinesen's work did not always meet with overwhelming acceptance. How did the perception of Dinesen's work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Dinesen's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author points out more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two examples which either embody or create disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bror Blixen. What did he look like? What was his family background? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)