|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did 7,200 Jews evacuate to during the war?
2. Dinesen gained a reputation as one of the most ______________________.
3. Which of the following was NOT a typical theme for Dinesen's work?
4. After the war, Dinesen entered the ___________________ market in the United States.
5. Which of the following did Dinesen NOT auction off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dinesen and Denys live during their relationship?
2. Why did Bjornvig leave Dinesen after four years together?
3. How did Denys die and why was his death especially painful for Dinesen?
4. How did Dinesen's pregnancy split her relationship with Denys and what reunited them?
5. How did Dinesen's relationship with Denys initially work well for both of them?
6. What are some reasons that Dinesen's work was so well received during her lifetime?
7. How was Dinesen conflicted about which role to pursue in her life?
8. To what does the author draw parallels with Dinesen's work during middle age?
9. How did Dinesen help the Danish Resistance movement during the war?
10. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig, and what role did he play in Dinesen's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the mid-20th century and why Dinesen's work did not always meet with overwhelming acceptance. How did the perception of Dinesen's work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Dinesen's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Isak Dinesen was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Dinesen's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Isak Dinesen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What was her daily life like? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)