|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Dinesen live during World War II?
2. What did Dinesen become addicted to in the 1950s?
3. After the war, Dinesen entered the ___________________ market in the United States.
4. After the war, Dinesen's health disintegrated due to age and ___________________.
5. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of drugs did Dinesen become addicted to and how did they make her behave?
2. How was Dinesen conflicted about which role to pursue in her life?
3. Explain why Dinesen's sensibilities and interests slot her work as Romanticism.
4. How did Dinesen spend some time during the early years of World War II?
5. Why did Bjornvig leave Dinesen after four years together?
6. Why did Dinesen feel that Bjornvig needed to suffer through his studies in Germany?
7. What occupied most of Denys' time in 1928, and how did Dinesen feel about it?
8. In what ways did Dinesen suffer after her departure from Africa?
9. What are some reasons that Dinesen's work was so well received during her lifetime?
10. How did Dinesen fare when trying to run the coffee plantation on her own and why was her temporary return to Denmark not a positive move for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Isak Dinesen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What was her daily life like? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Wilhelm Dinesen. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Dinesen's family in her life. What impact did Dinesen's father have on her life? What was Dinesen's relationship with her siblings? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? What was the nature of Dinesen's strained relationship with her brother, Thomas?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)