|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following arts was Dinesen NOT adept?
2. Who was Dinesen's older sister?
3. Dinesen's mother came from a family of ___________________.
4. With whom did Dinesen spend most of her time during her childhood?
5. In what year did Dinesen accept a marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dinesen was drawn to the feminist movement of the early 20th century.
2. How could Dinesen's marriage to Bror best be described?
3. Why was Dinesen so prolific in her condemnation of racism and prejudice against the Kenyan people?
4. Where did Dinesen study art formally and why was the experience disappointing for her?
5. Who was Daisy Frijs and why was Dinesen drawn to her?
6. Describe Dinesen's relationship with her sisters.
7. What are some reasons that Dinesen would have liked going on safari?
8. How did Dinesen's attitude about the African natives differ from the aristocratic landowners' opinions?
9. What decision did Dinesen make to end her period of indecisiveness?
10. How could Dinesen's writing style best be characterized, and what was her most famous literary work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would an author like Isak Dinesen have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Were there specific periods in her life when Dinesen felt even more loneliness? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Independence takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the depiction of independence in so much of Dinesen's life? How strong were Dinesen's feelings and need for independence? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Thomas Dinesen. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What do we know of him? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)