|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dinesen's mother came from a family of ___________________.
2. What was Dinesen's native language?
3. What happened to Dinesen after the death of her sister?
4. What title did Dinesen attain after her marriage?
5. Dinesen was adamant about not living her life _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dinesen not feel any remorse about having an affair with Denys Finch Hatton?
2. What decision did Dinesen make to end her period of indecisiveness?
3. Describe Dinesen's relationship with her sisters.
4. Who was Daisy Frijs and why was Dinesen drawn to her?
5. Explain why Dinesen was drawn to the feminist movement of the early 20th century.
6. Where did Dinesen study art formally and why was the experience disappointing for her?
7. Describe the contentious relationship Dinesen had with her brother, Thomas?
8. How did Dinesen and Bror celebrate in Paris after a good coffee harvest in 1918?
9. How did Hans Blixen's rejection of Dinesen ironically work in her favor in terms of what her Aunt Bess wanted for her?
10. In addition to diseases, what were some of the losses that Dinesen suffered in her life that made her health fail in 1923?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Thorkild Bjornvig and what role did he play in Isak Dinesen's life? Why was Bjornvig so important to Dinesen? Why did the relationship between the two end so disastrously?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Isak Dinesen's young adulthood? What was Denmark like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Dinesen, her family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
The author points out more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two examples which either embody or create disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)