|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig?
(a) Dinesen's close friend.
(b) Dinesen's gardener.
(c) Dinesen's accountant.
(d) Dinesen's chauffeur.
2. How old was Dinesen when she and Bror divorced?
3. Why did Dinesen feel abandoned by Denys in 1928?
(a) His visits were sporadic and brief.
(b) He was seeing another woman.
(c) He moved back to England.
(d) He did not write letters anymore.
4. Sometimes Denys would show Dinesen movies about __________________.
(a) vacation destinations.
(c) native people.
(d) his childhood.
5. How long did the relationship between Dinesen and Bjornvig last?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could Denys best be described?
2. When did Dinesen return to the coffee plantation after the trip with Denys?
3. The disease in #127 primarily affected Dinesen's __________________.
4. What was Dinesen forced to do in December of 1930?
5. How did Dinesen feel about this period of her life (mid-1920s)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dinesen fare when trying to run the coffee plantation on her own and why was her temporary return to Denmark not a positive move for her?
2. How did the syphilis take its toll on Dinesen, and who helped her through this difficult time?
3. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig, and what role did he play in Dinesen's life?
4. How did Dinesen and Denys live during their relationship?
5. How did Dinesen behave when it seemed as if she would lose the plantation?
6. How well did Dinesen adapt to her return to Denmark?
7. What was the underlying theme in the stories contained in "Winter's Tales" written during the early years of the war?
8. In what ways was Dinesen alienated from her own people during the war?
9. Why did Dinesen feel that Bjornvig needed to suffer through his studies in Germany?
10. How did Denys die and why was his death especially painful for Dinesen?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)