|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dinesen do when it looked as if she would lose the coffee plantation?
(a) She reduced the number of acres harvested.
(b) She tried to find a buyer.
(c) She kept on as if nothing was wrong.
(d) She let everything go to rot.
2. Where did Denys take Dinesen in 1929?
3. What is a Gypsy Moth?
(a) A drink.
(b) A hobo.
(c) An airplane.
(d) An insect.
4. What country did 7,200 Jews evacuate to during the war?
5. What topic did Thomas suggest for Dinesen's writing during this period?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a typical theme for Dinesen's work?
2. Dinesen considered herself to be ___________________ more than a novelist.
3. The stories in the book in #148 reflected her longing for _____________________.
4. People around Dinesen interpreted her drug-induced ramblings as __________________.
5. What type of surgery did Dinesen have in 1955?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Dinesen's independent life in conflict with the norms for women in the early 20th century?
2. In what ways did Dinesen suffer after her departure from Africa?
3. How did Dinesen's pregnancy split her relationship with Denys and what reunited them?
4. How did Denys die and why was his death especially painful for Dinesen?
5. How did the syphilis take its toll on Dinesen, and who helped her through this difficult time?
6. In what ways was Dinesen alienated from her own people during the war?
7. What was the underlying theme in the stories contained in "Winter's Tales" written during the early years of the war?
8. What occupied most of Denys' time in 1928, and how did Dinesen feel about it?
9. What are some reasons that Dinesen's work was so well received during her lifetime?
10. How did Dinesen behave when it seemed as if she would lose the plantation?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)