|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The disease in #127 primarily affected Dinesen's __________________.
(b) digestive system.
2. When did Denys die?
(a) May 1919.
(b) July 1939.
(c) May 1931.
(d) April 1954.
3. In what year did Dinesen turn 50?
4. How long did the relationship between Dinesen and Bjornvig last?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
5. What did Dinesen believe about her relationship with Bjornvig?
(a) They would have married if she had been younger.
(b) It was a mother/child situation.
(c) She sold her soul to the devil.
(d) He was her true soul mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dinesen gained a reputation as one of the most ______________________.
2. Where did Denys take Dinesen in 1929?
3. What did Dinesen do when it looked as if she would lose the coffee plantation?
4. People around Dinesen interpreted her drug-induced ramblings as __________________.
5. The stories in the book in #148 reflected her longing for _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Dinesen conflicted about which role to pursue in her life?
2. Why did Bjornvig leave Dinesen after four years together?
3. In what ways did Dinesen suffer after her departure from Africa?
4. How did the syphilis take its toll on Dinesen, and who helped her through this difficult time?
5. Why was Dinesen considered to be a controversial celebrity?
6. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig, and what role did he play in Dinesen's life?
7. What are some reasons that Dinesen's work was so well received during her lifetime?
8. What type of drugs did Dinesen become addicted to and how did they make her behave?
9. How did Dinesen help the Danish Resistance movement during the war?
10. To what does the author draw parallels with Dinesen's work during middle age?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)