|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The aristocratic landowners in Africa considered the natives to be ________________.
2. What relation was Dinesen's fiance to the man she loved?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His twin brother.
(c) His school friend.
(d) His cousin.
3. Why had Dinesen primarily married Bror?
(c) Financial status.
4. In what year did Dinesen publish her first story?
5. With whom did Dinesen build a rapport while in Africa?
(a) The local politicians.
(b) The aristocratic landowners.
(c) The local minister.
(d) The African natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Dinesen more attracted to her father's family?
2. Who was Dinesen's older sister?
3. In what year did Wilhelm Dinesen marry?
4. What could Dinesen not tolerate in Bror?
5. How did Hans Blixen die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bror react to Dinesen's affair with Denys?
2. What was the nature of Dinesen's relationship with her father and how did she address her feelings of loss after his death many years later?
3. How could Dinesen's marriage to Bror best be described?
4. How has Dinesen's biography been compared to a novel?
5. How did Dinesen and Bror celebrate in Paris after a good coffee harvest in 1918?
6. Explain why Dinesen was drawn to the feminist movement of the early 20th century.
7. Who was Daisy Frijs and why was Dinesen drawn to her?
8. How did Dinesen's father, Wilhelm, live his life and why did he commit suicide at the age of 50?
9. What was Dinesen's family's reaction to her interest in Georg Brandes and Fredrick Nietzsche?
10. Why did Dinesen not feel any remorse about having an affair with Denys Finch Hatton?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)