|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the aristocratic landowners in Africa feel about Dinesen?
(a) They never accepted her.
(b) They supported her.
(c) They exiled her.
(d) They were wary of her.
2. Dinesen found that female students at the Copenhagen Royal Academy ____________________.
(a) swooned easily at their male instructors.
(b) were treated as if they were biding their time until marriage.
(c) dropped out more frequently than males.
(d) were more likely to study on weekends.
3. Which of Dinesen's sisters died at an early age?
4. In which city did Dinesen study art?
(d) New York.
5. Who was Andreas Nicolaj Hansen?
(a) Dinesen's tutor.
(b) Dinesen's first husband.
(c) Dinesen's great grandfather.
(d) Dinesen's godfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Dinesen spend most of her time during her childhood?
2. Most of Dinesen's work was set in the __________________ or earlier.
3. Why had Dinesen primarily married Bror?
4. Who was Dinesen's younger sister?
5. In what year did Wilhelm Dinesen marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dinesen have difficulty fitting in with the aristocratic landowners in Africa?
2. What was Dinesen's family background,and why was she drawn more to her father's family?
3. How did Dinesen and Bror celebrate in Paris after a good coffee harvest in 1918?
4. How did Dinesen's childhood influence her writing, and what important theme would emerge?
5. When and where was Isak Dinesen born and by what other names was she known?
6. What decision did Dinesen make to end her period of indecisiveness?
7. What type of writing did Dinesen produce as a young woman, and what pen name did she use?
8. Describe the contentious relationship Dinesen had with her brother, Thomas?
9. How did Dinesen's father, Wilhelm, live his life and why did he commit suicide at the age of 50?
10. How has Dinesen's biography been compared to a novel?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)