|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caught Denys' attention in 1930?
2. Dinesen considered herself to be ___________________ more than a novelist.
(a) an artist.
(b) a daughter.
(c) a wife.
(d) a storyteller.
3. Many of Dinesen's stories during this period address ______________________.
(a) Aristocracy in a changing world.
(b) Travel adventures.
(c) Good vs. evil.
(d) Lost love.
4. Why did Dinesen feel abandoned by Denys in 1928?
(a) His visits were sporadic and brief.
(b) He was seeing another woman.
(c) He did not write letters anymore.
(d) He moved back to England.
5. Dinesen never wanted to be like _________________.
(a) her childhood friends.
(b) her friends' mothers.
(c) the other women in her family.
(d) the women at church.
6. What did Denys spend much of his time doing?
7. What did Dinesen try to do after Bror left?
(a) Run the coffee plantation.
(b) Start a jewelry company.
(c) Sell the farm.
(d) Open a safari business.
8. What did Dinesen become addicted to in the 1950s?
9. What was one of the reasons that Dinesen's stories were so well received?
(a) Her appreciation for fine art.
(b) Her treatment of sexuality.
(c) Her philanthropy.
(d) Her bawdy language.
10. When did Denys die?
(a) July 1939.
(b) May 1931.
(c) April 1954.
(d) May 1919.
11. What was the result of the disease's impact on Dinesen?
(a) She went insane.
(b) She had to have oxygen.
(c) She was crippled.
(d) She became very thin.
12. What did Dinesen believe about her relationship with Bjornvig?
(a) They would have married if she had been younger.
(b) It was a mother/child situation.
(c) He was her true soul mate.
(d) She sold her soul to the devil.
13. Dinesen's stories about Bjornvig in the 1950s were about _______________________.
(a) the collision of geniuses.
(b) soul mates.
(c) love without sex.
(d) platonic friends.
14. What made Dinesen think about emigrating from Denmark during the war?
(a) Her family.
(b) German occupation.
(c) Heavy taxation.
(d) Her religious beliefs.
15. Dinesen gained a reputation as one of the most ______________________.
(a) prolific writers of the 20th century.
(b) graphic women writers ever.
(c) pure-hearted immoralists.
(d) intelligent European authors of the century.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dinesen go to Berlin in 1940?
2. Why did Denys take Dinesen to the country in #117?
3. What type of work kept Denys busy in 1928?
4. Which of the following was NOT something that made Bjornvig leave Dinesen?
5. How long did the relationship between Dinesen and Bjornvig last?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)