|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What format did Dinesen gravitate toward in the 1950s?
2. What did Denys spend much of his time doing?
3. Why did Dinesen feel abandoned by Denys in 1928?
(a) He moved back to England.
(b) He was seeing another woman.
(c) His visits were sporadic and brief.
(d) He did not write letters anymore.
4. What disease was Dinesen suffering from when she left Africa?
5. Where did Dinesen live during World War II?
6. Durind Dinesen's time, competing with a man was considered to be ___________________.
(a) a waste of time.
7. Why did Germany come down hard on Denmark during the war?
(a) They ignored Hitler's demands.
(b) Their soldiers were ill-trained.
(c) There were hardly any Jews left there.
(d) It refused to support Germany.
8. In Dinesen's book "Out of Africa", who kills the animals in #112?
(a) She kills both of them.
(b) The safari guide kills both of them.
(c) Denys kills both of them.
(d) She kills one and Denys kills one.
9. Dinesen's work blurred the line between _____________________.
(a) joy and despair.
(b) want and abundance.
(c) good and evil.
(d) greed and generosity.
10. With what did Dinesen struggle throughout her life?
11. Dinesen considered herself to be ___________________ more than a novelist.
(a) a storyteller.
(b) a wife.
(c) a daughter.
(d) an artist.
12. Unresolved conflicts in Dinesen's life created ____________________.
(a) her divorce.
(b) her business failure.
(c) her mood swings.
(d) her suicide attempt.
13. When Dinesen was in her 70s, she was ___________________.
(b) near death.
(d) thin and pale.
14. Dinesen thought that _________________________ were among the most courageous acts a human could do.
(a) recognizing and acknowledging heroism.
(b) acknowledging and confronting an abyss.
(c) validating and praising people.
(d) identifying and eliminating poverty.
15. Who was Thorkild Bjornvig?
(a) Dinesen's close friend.
(b) Dinesen's gardener.
(c) Dinesen's accountant.
(d) Dinesen's chauffeur.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stories in the book in #148 reflected her longing for _____________________.
2. When did Dinesen return to the coffee plantation after the trip with Denys?
3. After the war, Dinesen's health disintegrated due to age and ___________________.
4. How could Denys best be described?
5. People around Dinesen interpreted her drug-induced ramblings as __________________.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)