|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dinesen's book "Out of Africa", who kills the animals in #112?
(a) She kills both of them.
(b) She kills one and Denys kills one.
(c) Denys kills both of them.
(d) The safari guide kills both of them.
2. What did Dinesen do when it looked as if she would lose the coffee plantation?
(a) She kept on as if nothing was wrong.
(b) She let everything go to rot.
(c) She reduced the number of acres harvested.
(d) She tried to find a buyer.
3. With what did Dinesen struggle throughout her life?
4. Many of Dinesen's stories during this period address ______________________.
(a) Aristocracy in a changing world.
(b) Travel adventures.
(c) Good vs. evil.
(d) Lost love.
5. Why did Dinesen go to Berlin in 1940?
(a) Journalistic assignment.
(b) To visit friends.
(d) To free Jewish people.
6. What type of work kept Denys busy in 1928?
(a) Safari guide.
(c) Airline pilot.
(d) Political campaigning.
7. What role did Dinesen play in her relationship with Bjornvig?
(a) She financially supported him.
(b) She dominated him.
(c) She babied him.
(d) She abused him.
8. What did Dinesen help with during the war?
(a) News reporting.
(b) The Resistance Movement.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Red Cross.
9. What caught Denys' attention in 1930?
10. Dinesen's stories about Bjornvig in the 1950s were about _______________________.
(a) soul mates.
(b) love without sex.
(c) platonic friends.
(d) the collision of geniuses.
11. What topic did Thomas suggest for Dinesen's writing during this period?
12. What was the state of Dinesen's marriage to Bror during this time?
(a) Their divorce was finalized.
(b) They were working on it.
(c) They renewed their vows.
(d) They were separated.
13. How long did the relationship between Dinesen and Bjornvig last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 18 months.
14. What format did Dinesen gravitate toward in the 1950s?
15. What was one of the reasons that Dinesen's stories were so well received?
(a) Her appreciation for fine art.
(b) Her philanthropy.
(c) Her bawdy language.
(d) Her treatment of sexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Denys die?
2. Dinesen thought that _________________________ were among the most courageous acts a human could do.
3. Dinesen considered herself to be ___________________ more than a novelist.
4. Dinesen never wanted to be like _________________.
5. The disease in #127 primarily affected Dinesen's __________________.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)