|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, Dinesen's health disintegrated due to age and ___________________.
2. Why did Dinesen feel abandoned by Denys in 1928?
(a) He was seeing another woman.
(b) His visits were sporadic and brief.
(c) He moved back to England.
(d) He did not write letters anymore.
3. What was one of the reasons that Dinesen's stories were so well received?
(a) Her bawdy language.
(b) Her treatment of sexuality.
(c) Her appreciation for fine art.
(d) Her philanthropy.
4. Why did Bjornvig suffer a nervous breakdown?
(a) All his friends betrayed him.
(b) Dinesen did not return his love for her.
(c) Dinesen psychologically manipulated him.
(d) He could not make any money.
5. When did Dinesen return to the coffee plantation after the trip with Denys?
6. Sometimes Denys would show Dinesen movies about __________________.
(a) native people.
(c) his childhood.
(d) vacation destinations.
7. Dinesen gained a reputation as one of the most ______________________.
(a) pure-hearted immoralists.
(b) intelligent European authors of the century.
(c) prolific writers of the 20th century.
(d) graphic women writers ever.
8. How long did the relationship between Dinesen and Bjornvig last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
9. After the war, Dinesen entered the ___________________ market in the United States.
10. Dinesen never wanted to be like _________________.
(a) her friends' mothers.
(b) the women at church.
(c) her childhood friends.
(d) the other women in her family.
11. When Dinesen was in her 70s, she was ___________________.
(b) thin and pale.
(c) near death.
12. How could Denys best be described?
(a) A confirmed bachelor.
(b) A good cook.
(c) A politican.
(d) An author.
13. What did Dinesen believe about her relationship with Bjornvig?
(a) He was her true soul mate.
(b) It was a mother/child situation.
(c) She sold her soul to the devil.
(d) They would have married if she had been younger.
14. What did Dinesen help with during the war?
(a) News reporting.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Resistance Movement.
(d) The United Nations.
15. What was the state of Dinesen's marriage to Bror during this time?
(a) They were working on it.
(b) Their divorce was finalized.
(c) They renewed their vows.
(d) They were separated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the book which Dinesen worked on during World War II?
2. What caught Denys' attention in 1930?
3. When did Denys die?
4. The stories in the book in #148 reflected her longing for _____________________.
5. People around Dinesen interpreted her drug-induced ramblings as __________________.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)