Book One Tanne, Chapters 1-4: Either/Or; The Captain; A Family Romance; Alkmene
• Isak Dinesen was born on April 17, 1885, in Denmark with the given name of Karen Christenze Dinesen and the nickname Tanne.
• Isak Dinesen was one of her pen names, and she was also known as Karen von Blixen-Finecke or Karen Blixen.
• Dinesen's mother came from a family of self-made millionaires and her father came from a family of country people related to the Danish aristocracy.
• Dinesen gravitated to her father's family because they seemed more down-to-earth than her mother's stilted family.
• Dinesen's most famous work was entitled "Out of Africa", published in 1937, but had many other literary works, most of them written in the Romantic literary style and set in the 19th century or earlier.
• Dinesen's maternal great-grandfather, Andreas Nicolaj Hansen, built the family fortune during the Napoleonic Wars through a shipping business.
• Dinesen's father, Wilhelm...
This section contains 2,400 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)