|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Galveston landmark does Captain Simmons see first after the hurricane?
2. What does August Rollfing do when he finds his family at his sister's house?
3. Where do they find Cora Cline's body?
4. The second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm is coming from where?
5. What is the most influential magazine in the country in 1900?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first event that causes Galveston residents to begin to take the storm seriously?
2. How do the children of Galveston react in the early hours of the storm?
3. How do Joseph's and Isaac's accounts of the hurricane differ in tone?
4. What does August Rollfing experience during the hurricane?
5. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
6. How do people in Galveston initially react to the storm?
7. What does Louise Hopkins' mother do when the water started to rise?
8. What happens to Isaac the day after the storm?
9. What does Dr. Young experience as darkness falls on Galveston?
10. What happens to the second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic implications for the modern advances of the telegraph and the train. How are they used throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What price is to be paid for man's arrogance gained through technological advances? How is Isaac's Storm a cautionary tale about man's sense of technological power over nature? How likely will this theme continue long into the future of man?
Essay Topic 3
What are the greater truths found in the smallest details of the story? Use specific examples.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)