|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a strong wind topple over on New Year's Eve 1900?
2. What is the name of August Rollfing's sister?
3. How many feet above sea level is Dr. Young's yard?
4. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
5. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it initially not alarming to have lost all telegraph communication with Galveston?
2. What is the first event that causes Galveston residents to begin to take the storm seriously?
3. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
4. How does Moore distort the truth about how he handled the hurricane?
5. How does the mood change on the train with members of the military and other people from Houston as it gets closer to Galveston?
6. What is Captain Simmons experiencing on the Pensacola as the storm intensifies?
7. What is Col. William Sterett's experience as he enters Galveston?
8. What does Isaac claim that he did after observing conditions on the beach the morning of the storm?
9. What does August Rollfing experience during the hurricane?
10. How does Galveston handle the overwhelming number of dead bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the hurricane truly Isaac's Storm? How much of the blame for the loss of life should lie at Isaac's feet?
Essay Topic 2
How is the history of weather intertwined with Isaac's history? Where and how do they tragically intersect with the future of Galveston?
Essay Topic 3
What is the true "Law of Storms" as it pertains to the Galveston hurricane?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)