|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac recognizes his wife's body from her _________.
2. What causes so many children at the orphanage to die?
3. How many children does Anthony Credo have?
4. Where do the Hopkins plan to go for safety?
5. What smell begins to dilute the smell of death in Galveston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moore distort the truth about how he handled the hurricane?
2. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
3. What does Isaac claim that he did after observing conditions on the beach the morning of the storm?
4. What happens to Isaac the day after the storm?
5. How does the mood change on the train with members of the military and other people from Houston as it gets closer to Galveston?
6. In addition to the miracle of surviving the storm, what other miracle do Joseph and Isaac experience on the day of the hurricane?
7. How does Galveston handle the overwhelming number of dead bodies?
8. What is Captain Simmons experiencing on the Pensacola as the storm intensifies?
9. How does Isaac handle Moore's lies and distortion of the truth about how the Weather Bureau handled the hurricane?
10. What does August Rollfing experience during the hurricane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic implications for the modern advances of the telegraph and the train. How are they used throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Was the hurricane truly Isaac's Storm? How much of the blame for the loss of life should lie at Isaac's feet?
Essay Topic 3
How does Isaac embody the American spirit in 1900? Is this a favorable portrait of the country? Do you think Isaac accurately represents America in 1900?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)