|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do some of the occupants of the second train go to ride out the storm?
2. What is the thing that finally gets Galveston residents to take the storm seriously?
3. How many days does it take Isaac to get back to work after the hurricane?
4. Where does the Louisiana makes its intended voyage to after the storm?
5. How much does the floodwater suddenly rise in a matter of seconds at one point in the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mood change on the train with members of the military and other people from Houston as it gets closer to Galveston?
2. What is Captain Simmons experiencing on the Pensacola as the storm intensifies?
3. How does Isaac write his official report about the hurricane?
4. What is Col. William Sterett's experience as he enters Galveston?
5. What does Dr. Young experience as darkness falls on Galveston?
6. What does Louisa Rollfing experience when she and her children try to take a coach to her mother-in-law's house?
7. In addition to the miracle of surviving the storm, what other miracle do Joseph and Isaac experience on the day of the hurricane?
8. How does Galveston handle the overwhelming number of dead bodies?
9. How do people in Galveston initially react to the storm?
10. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of each of the major parts of the book, their subtle meanings, and the way they add to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
What is the true "Law of Storms" as it pertains to the Galveston hurricane?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the folly of man and the way it resonates throughout the book. How is the story of Isaac's Storm an example of man's best intentions gone tragically wrong?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)