|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lives does Isaac say were saved because of his warnings?
2. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
3. What does Joseph use against the man who is pushing the children away from him on the raft?
4. What kind of dog is Joseph's pet that miraculously swims to their raft?
5. What is the name of August Rollfing's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it initially not alarming to have lost all telegraph communication with Galveston?
2. What is Col. William Sterett's experience as he enters Galveston?
3. How do Joseph's and Isaac's accounts of the hurricane differ in tone?
4. What does August Rollfing experience during the hurricane?
5. How does Isaac write his official report about the hurricane?
6. How does Isaac handle Moore's lies and distortion of the truth about how the Weather Bureau handled the hurricane?
7. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
8. What does Louise Hopkins' mother do when the water started to rise?
9. What happens to the second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm?
10. What happens to Isaac the day after the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of human nature are captured in the "Spectacle" potion of the book? How is this shown to be intertwined with the ferocious beauty in nature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of this story and their effect on the reader's experience.
Essay Topic 3
Larson ends the book with a description of what is standing today in the place where St. Mary's Orphanage once stood. What story in contained in that one simple image and why is that a poignant image to end the book?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)