|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sleeper is Isaac?
2. Where do the winds of the tropical storm suddenly weaken, causing forecasters to miscalculate the intensity and path of the storm?
3. Where did Isaac grow up?
4. How many miles above sea level is the highest point of Galveston?
5. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might have saved thousands of lives in Galveston?
2. What kind of man does the narrator describe Isaac to be?
3. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
4. What happens to the weather in Galveston two days before the storm?
5. What is the difference between Isaac and Joseph's points of view in the early morning hours of September 8?
6. What is the butterfly effect?
7. How did Isaac meet his wife?
8. Why is the final payment on the piano a significant accomplishment to Louisa Rollfing?
9. How does Moore treat the weather forecasting being done in Cuba?
10. What does Isaac do for the U.S. Weather Bureau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the hurricane truly Isaac's Storm? How much of the blame for the loss of life should lie at Isaac's feet?
Essay Topic 2
What are the greater truths found in the smallest details of the story? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Larson ends the book with a description of what is standing today in the place where St. Mary's Orphanage once stood. What story in contained in that one simple image and why is that a poignant image to end the book?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)