|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
2. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
3. What year is London hit with a devastating cyclone?
4. Roofs in Galveston are shingled in ___________.
5. Where did Isaac grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the final payment on the piano a significant accomplishment to Louisa Rollfing?
2. What does Isaac observe when he goes to the beach the morning of the storm?
3. What did the crew of Captain William Seymour's ship experience in the eye of a storm in 1837?
4. Why does hail become an obsession of Isaac's?
5. What is unusual about the summer of 1900 across the world?
6. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
7. How does Larson describe the center of a hurricane?
8. What might have saved thousands of lives in Galveston?
9. What does Captain J. W. Simmons of the Pensacola experience after his ship leaves Galveston the morning of the hurricane?
10. What is the weather like across the country during August 1900?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic implications for the modern advances of the telegraph and the train. How are they used throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is the history of weather intertwined with Isaac's history? Where and how do they tragically intersect with the future of Galveston?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of each of the major parts of the book, their subtle meanings, and the way they add to the narrative.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)