|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weather service stations are accused of doing all but one of the following:
2. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
3. Growing up, Isaac loves to read books by ____________.
4. What college does Isaac attend?
5. On what street do Isaac and his family live in Galveston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moore treat the weather forecasting being done in Cuba?
2. What is unusual about the summer of 1900 across the world?
3. What happens to the weather in Galveston two days before the storm?
4. What is the purpose of the eighteen-page letter that William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody?
5. Why was the creation of the Weather Service controversial?
6. What was Isaac's childhood like?
7. Why does Isaac believe that no storm could harm Galveston?
8. What does the Galveston newspaper advertise as being the chic look for the summer of 1900?
9. How did Isaac do in the initial part of his training for the weather service?
10. What kind of man does the narrator describe Isaac to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of human nature are captured in the "Spectacle" potion of the book? How is this shown to be intertwined with the ferocious beauty in nature?
Essay Topic 2
How does Isaac embody the American spirit in 1900? Is this a favorable portrait of the country? Do you think Isaac accurately represents America in 1900?
Essay Topic 3
What role does weather play in the book, beyond representing the hurricane?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)