|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moore ban from Cuba?
2. Roofs in Galveston are shingled in ___________.
3. The barometer reading Joseph takes the night before the storm is ____________.
4. What does Italian physicist Evangelista Torricelli discover?
5. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the eighteen-page letter that William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody?
2. What is the weather like across the country during August 1900?
3. What does Captain J. W. Simmons of the Pensacola experience after his ship leaves Galveston the morning of the hurricane?
4. What kind of man does the narrator describe Isaac to be?
5. How did Isaac meet his wife?
6. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
7. How does Larson describe the center of a hurricane?
8. What was Isaac's childhood like?
9. Why was the creation of the Weather Service controversial?
10. How was weather recorded before the creation of the weather service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larson ends the book with a description of what is standing today in the place where St. Mary's Orphanage once stood. What story in contained in that one simple image and why is that a poignant image to end the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the true "Law of Storms" as it pertains to the Galveston hurricane?
Essay Topic 3
What price is to be paid for man's arrogance gained through technological advances? How is Isaac's Storm a cautionary tale about man's sense of technological power over nature? How likely will this theme continue long into the future of man?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)