|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
2. What is the wind speed that Captain Halsey records on his ship the day of the hurricane?
3. In what city does the temperature hit 100.6 on August 11, 1900?
4. According to Dr. Young, the storm would first move ___________ because cyclones always do.
5. How many blocks does Isaac live from the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might have saved thousands of lives in Galveston?
2. Why was the creation of the Weather Service controversial?
3. How is Isaac a reflection of the country at this time?
4. How was weather recorded before the creation of the weather service?
5. What is the butterfly effect?
6. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
7. How did Isaac do in the initial part of his training for the weather service?
8. What does Isaac compare the feeling to that he has on the night before the hurricane?
9. Why does hail become an obsession of Isaac's?
10. What does Isaac observe when he goes to the beach the morning of the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Erik Larson present a more nuanced look at the Galveston hurricane than the one that is contained in the National Archives? What is the critical difference between the two?
Essay Topic 2
What is the true "Law of Storms" as it pertains to the Galveston hurricane?
Essay Topic 3
What role does weather play in the book, beyond representing the hurricane?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)