|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the first casualties of the storm that the train from Houston encounters after the storm?
(b) Farm workers.
2. What is the name of Isaac's youngest daughter?
3. What is the most influential magazine in the country in 1900?
(a) The Atlantic.
(b) Collier's Weekly.
4. How many children does Anthony Credo have?
5. Col. William Sterett is a writer for which newspaper?
(a) The Houstonian.
(b) Austin-American Statesman.
(c) Dallas News.
(d) New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does August Rollfing do when he finds his family at his sister's house?
2. What does a strong wind topple over on New Year's Eve 1900?
3. Louisa Rollfing says the noise of the hurricane sounded like ______________.
4. What saves the life of Dr. Young's wife?
5. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louise Hopkins' mother do when the water started to rise?
2. How does Galveston handle the overwhelming number of dead bodies?
3. What does Louisa Rollfing experience when she and her children try to take a coach to her mother-in-law's house?
4. How does Isaac write his official report about the hurricane?
5. In addition to the miracle of surviving the storm, what other miracle do Joseph and Isaac experience on the day of the hurricane?
6. How do the children of Galveston react in the early hours of the storm?
7. How does Isaac handle Moore's lies and distortion of the truth about how the Weather Bureau handled the hurricane?
8. How do Joseph's and Isaac's accounts of the hurricane differ in tone?
9. What is John Blagden experiencing during the storm?
10. What happens to the second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)