|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the thing that finally gets Galveston residents to take the storm seriously?
(a) Ritter's Cafe roof collapse.
(b) The Strand destroyed.
(c) A child drowning.
(d) Midway destroyed.
2. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
(a) On a boat.
(b) Inside a trunk.
(c) Crawled from a treetop.
(d) Shot through a window.
3. Where do the Hopkins plan to go for safety?
(a) Isaac's house.
(c) Across the street.
4. How old is Louise Hopkins the day of the storm?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Seven years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Ten years old.
5. Where does Simmons dock his ship?
(a) Avenue P.
(b) Galveston Port.
(c) 23rd Street.
(d) 9th Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building does Isaac see is still intact after the hurricane?
2. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
3. Where do they find Cora Cline's body?
4. Where do some of the occupants of the second train go to ride out the storm?
5. What is everywhere as the storm waters rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people in Galveston initially react to the storm?
2. What does Louise Hopkins' mother do when the water started to rise?
3. How do Joseph's and Isaac's accounts of the hurricane differ in tone?
4. How does Isaac handle Moore's lies and distortion of the truth about how the Weather Bureau handled the hurricane?
5. In addition to the miracle of surviving the storm, what other miracle do Joseph and Isaac experience on the day of the hurricane?
6. How does the mood change on the train with members of the military and other people from Houston as it gets closer to Galveston?
7. Why is it initially not alarming to have lost all telegraph communication with Galveston?
8. How does Moore distort the truth about how he handled the hurricane?
9. Why does Joseph want his telegram to the U.S. Weather Bureau chief be kept completely confidential?
10. What is the first event that causes Galveston residents to begin to take the storm seriously?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)