|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What immigrant group makes up one-third of the Galveston population in 1889?
(d) Caribbean islanders.
2. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
3. Who coined the word "cyclone" to describe hurricane damage?
(a) Isaac Cline.
(b) Henry Piddington.
(c) Col. William Read.
(d) William Redfield.
4. What weather phenomenon sets Isaac on the path to being a meteorologist?
(c) Sand storm.
5. For what will the summer of 1900 be remembered?
(a) Hot weather.
(b) Natural disasters.
Short Answer Questions
1. The storm begins with the awakening of ___________.
2. The Friday before the hurricane brings what?
3. What college does Isaac attend?
4. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
5. What is Isaac sent to Arkansas to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the weather in Galveston two days before the storm?
2. What is the butterfly effect?
3. What did the crew of Captain William Seymour's ship experience in the eye of a storm in 1837?
4. Why does Isaac believe that no storm could harm Galveston?
5. Why was the creation of the Weather Service controversial?
6. What was Isaac's childhood like?
7. How did Isaac meet his wife?
8. What characteristics do they know in 1900 that all hurricanes have in common?
9. What is unusual about the summer of 1900 across the world?
10. What does Isaac observe when he goes to the beach the morning of the storm?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)