|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Isaac sent to Arkansas to study?
2. What country is leading the innovation in predicting hurricanes at the time of the story?
3. On what does Louisa Rollfing's family make a final payment?
4. On what street do Isaac and his family live in Galveston?
(a) Orchard Avenue.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Avenue Q.
(d) Miles Street.
5. In 1891, the weather service comes under the control of what organization?
(a) Department of the Interior.
(b) Department of Defense.
(c) Department of Agriculture.
(d) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Short Answer Questions
1. An easterly wind converges over the ________ in the early weeks of August 1900.
2. What does Italian physicist Evangelista Torricelli discover?
3. How many people does the last paragraph of "The Beach" say will die in the next twenty-four hours?
4. What time does six-year-old Isaac get up to start his chores?
5. Where does the storm reach on August 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was weather recorded before the creation of the weather service?
2. What is the weather like across the country during August 1900?
3. How does Larson describe the center of a hurricane?
4. How is Isaac a reflection of the country at this time?
5. Why does Isaac believe that no storm could harm Galveston?
6. What does Captain J. W. Simmons of the Pensacola experience after his ship leaves Galveston the morning of the hurricane?
7. What does Isaac do for the U.S. Weather Bureau?
8. What was Isaac's childhood like?
9. Why does hail become an obsession of Isaac's?
10. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)