|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspects of the weather does Isaac record?
(a) Climate change.
(b) Temperature and barometric pressures.
(c) Rainfall and wind speeds.
(d) Wave heights.
2. What could Isaac feel the night before the storm?
(b) The wind.
(c) The waves.
3. What immigrant group makes up one-third of the Galveston population in 1889?
(c) Caribbean islanders.
4. What college does Isaac attend?
(a) Abilene Christian College.
(b) Vassar College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Hiwassee College.
5. What is the name of Captain Halsey's ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Isaac's brother, Joseph?
2. Whom does Isaac consider one of the great pioneers of meteorology?
3. What does Joseph come to Galveston to be?
4. For what will the summer of 1900 be remembered?
5. How many miles above sea level is the highest point of Galveston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Isaac and Joseph's points of view in the early morning hours of September 8?
2. Why does Isaac believe that no storm could harm Galveston?
3. What is the butterfly effect?
4. What happens to the weather in Galveston two days before the storm?
5. What is unusual about the summer of 1900 across the world?
6. What is the purpose of the eighteen-page letter that William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody?
7. How did Isaac do in the initial part of his training for the weather service?
8. How does Larson describe the center of a hurricane?
9. What does Isaac observe when he goes to the beach the morning of the storm?
10. Describe the photograph taken of Isaac by New Orleans photographer.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)