|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Young notes that all the signs are present for a _____________ the days before the hurricane.
(a) Tropical storm.
(b) Heat wave.
(d) Low pressure system.
2. What are swimsuits made from in 1900?
3. In 1888, what weather disaster does the weather service fail to forecast?
(a) New York City blizzard.
(b) Miami hurricane.
(c) Denver heat wave.
(d) Los Angeles blizzard.
4. What is the name of Captain Halsey's ship?
5. In what city does the temperature hit 100.6 on August 11, 1900?
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. Young, the storm would first move ___________ because cyclones always do.
2. Where do the American forecasters think the storm is headed?
3. How old is Isaac?
4. Where does the storm reach on August 31?
5. Whom does Isaac consider one of the great pioneers of meteorology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Galveston newspaper advertise as being the chic look for the summer of 1900?
2. Why does Isaac believe that no storm could harm Galveston?
3. What is Galveston like in 1900?
4. How is Isaac a reflection of the country at this time?
5. Why was the creation of the Weather Service controversial?
6. What happens to the weather in Galveston two days before the storm?
7. What is unusual about the summer of 1900 across the world?
8. What is the butterfly effect?
9. How does Moore treat the weather forecasting being done in Cuba?
10. What is the purpose of the eighteen-page letter that William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)