|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph get a message to the Weather Bureau as the storm hits Galveston?
(b) Carrier pigeon.
2. What is the name of August Rollfing's sister?
(d) Allie May.
3. Isaac recognizes his wife's body from her _________.
4. How much does the floodwater suddenly rise in a matter of seconds at one point in the storm?
(a) Four feet.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Four inches.
(d) Six inches.
5. What kind of dog is Joseph's pet that miraculously swims to their raft?
6. Col. William Sterett is a writer for which newspaper?
(a) The Houstonian.
(b) New York Times.
(c) Dallas News.
(d) Austin-American Statesman.
7. What does Joseph use against the man who is pushing the children away from him on the raft?
(a) Metal pole.
(b) A knife.
(c) Broken glass.
(d) Splintered wood.
8. The second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm is coming from where?
(d) New Orleans.
9. By what time is the water covering the first three blocks from the beach on the day of the storm?
(a) 2:30 p.m.
(b) 11:30 a.m.
(c) 7:30 p.m.
(d) 4:30 p.m.
10. What is the most influential magazine in the country in 1900?
(a) The Atlantic.
(d) Collier's Weekly.
11. Where do they find Cora Cline's body?
(a) 23rd and Q.
(b) 25th and Q.
(c) 22nd and P.
(d) 28th and P.
12. When does Moore contend the hurricane warning flags were raised in Galveston?
(a) Friday afternoon.
(b) Friday morning.
(c) Saturday morning.
(d) Saturday afternoon.
13. What does Mrs. Hopkins plan to use as a raft?
(a) A tire.
(b) A wooden beam.
(c) A door.
(d) A mattress.
14. How many lives does Isaac say were saved because of his warnings?
15. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
(b) Dr. Young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Isaac save from the floodwaters?
2. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
3. How old is Louise Hopkins the day of the storm?
4. What destroys Isaac's house during the storm?
5. How many children are in the orphanage at the time of the storm?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)