|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which direction is the water flowing through Galveston during the storm?
(a) East to west.
(b) West to east.
(c) South to north.
(d) North to south.
2. What building does Isaac see is still intact after the hurricane?
(b) Ursuline convent.
(c) His house.
(d) Levy Building.
3. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
4. What piece of debris in the prairies outside of Galveston is particularly disturbing to Col. Sterett?
(a) A destroyed house.
(b) A rocking horse.
(c) A dead horse.
(d) A ship.
5. How many children does Anthony Credo have?
6. How does Joseph get a message to the Weather Bureau as the storm hits Galveston?
(b) Carrier pigeon.
7. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
(d) Dr. Young.
8. What is the name of the gentleman who leads people off the flooding second train?
9. Whom does Isaac save from the floodwaters?
10. What does Joseph use against the man who is pushing the children away from him on the raft?
(a) Broken glass.
(b) A knife.
(c) Splintered wood.
(d) Metal pole.
11. Whom did Isaac tell he was afraid that he may have underestimated the storm?
12. The author quotes the following newspapers as commending the U.S. Weather Bureau's forecasting during the hurricane, except one:
(a) The New York Times.
(c) Boston Herald.
(d) Buffalo Courier.
13. How old is Louise Hopkins the day of the storm?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Five years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Seven years old.
14. Rabbi Cohen is known throughout Galveston as a __________________.
15. What destroys Isaac's house during the storm?
(a) A trestle.
(b) A train car.
(c) A boat.
(d) A buggy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
2. Isaac recognizes his wife's body from her _________.
3. Monagan describes the first night they spend in Galveston bay as one of ______________.
4. How long has John Blagden been working in Galveston before the hurricane?
5. What is the name of Isaac's youngest daughter?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)