|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives in Louise's boarding house?
2. What national disaster had the highest death toll before the Galveston hurricane?
(a) Mt. Hood Avalanche.
(b) Johnstown Flood.
(c) New York City Blizzard.
(d) San Francisco Earthquake.
3. What is everywhere as the storm waters rise?
4. How old is Louise Hopkins the day of the storm?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Seven years old.
5. What is Louise Hopkins first indicator that danger is coming?
(a) Her kitten.
(b) Her frog.
(c) Her puppy.
(d) Her turtle.
6. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
7. What saves the life of Dr. Young's wife?
(a) A tree.
(b) A door.
(c) A train.
(d) A telegram.
8. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
(a) On a boat.
(b) Shot through a window.
(c) Crawled from a treetop.
(d) Inside a trunk.
9. What day does the train go to Galveston after no communication has been received from the city?
10. Where do the Hopkins plan to go for safety?
(b) Across the street.
(d) Isaac's house.
11. The initial loss of life in Galveston is listed at how many?
12. What Galveston landmark does Captain Simmons see first after the hurricane?
(b) Grain elevator.
(c) The convent.
(d) The Strand.
13. What piece of debris in the prairies outside of Galveston is particularly disturbing to Col. Sterett?
(a) A dead horse.
(b) A ship.
(c) A rocking horse.
(d) A destroyed house.
14. How many blocks from the beach is St. Mary's Orphanage?
(a) Three blocks.
(b) On the beach.
(c) Two blocks.
(d) One block.
15. What floats into the train station, causing the people waiting there to be alarmed for the first time?
(a) An empty boat.
(b) Body of a child.
(c) A hoard of rats.
(d) Body of a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
2. The second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm is coming from where?
3. How many lives does Isaac say were saved because of his warnings?
4. Tom L Monagan is sent to Galveston after the storm by _________________.
5. What smell begins to dilute the smell of death in Galveston?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)