|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Louise Hopkins first indicator that danger is coming?
(a) Her puppy.
(b) Her turtle.
(c) Her kitten.
(d) Her frog.
2. What kind of dog is Joseph's pet that miraculously swims to their raft?
3. By what time is the water covering the first three blocks from the beach on the day of the storm?
(a) 2:30 p.m.
(b) 4:30 p.m.
(c) 7:30 p.m.
(d) 11:30 a.m.
4. How does a very pregnant Mrs. Heidman arrive at the Ursuline convent?
(a) Crawled from a treetop.
(b) On a boat.
(c) Inside a trunk.
(d) Shot through a window.
5. What does Joseph use against the man who is pushing the children away from him on the raft?
(a) Splintered wood.
(b) A knife.
(c) Metal pole.
(d) Broken glass.
6. Throughout September, how many bodies a day are the crews finding?
7. Where does August Rollfing ride out the storm?
(a) A lighthouse.
(b) A store counter.
(c) A rooftop.
(d) A bar.
8. What smell begins to dilute the smell of death in Galveston?
(b) Oil rigs.
(c) Funeral flowers.
(d) Fresh-cut lumber.
9. What floats into the train station, causing the people waiting there to be alarmed for the first time?
(a) Body of a woman.
(b) An empty boat.
(c) Body of a child.
(d) A hoard of rats.
10. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
11. The author quotes the following newspapers as commending the U.S. Weather Bureau's forecasting during the hurricane, except one:
(a) Boston Herald.
(b) Buffalo Courier.
(c) The New York Times.
12. What does Louise Hopkins think the walls in house look like they doing?
13. What is the name of the gentleman who leads people off the flooding second train?
14. What does a strong wind topple over on New Year's Eve 1900?
(a) Captain Simmons' docked ship.
(b) The light atop the Eiffel Tower.
(c) A stone at Stonehenge.
(d) A brick from the leaning tower of Pisa.
15. The initial loss of life in Galveston is listed at how many?
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of debris in the prairies outside of Galveston is particularly disturbing to Col. Sterett?
2. Tom L Monagan is sent to Galveston after the storm by _________________.
3. How many feet above sea level is Dr. Young's yard?
4. How many children does Anthony Credo have?
5. Isaac recognizes his wife's body from her _________.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)