|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Isaac's youngest daughter?
2. What day does the train go to Galveston after no communication has been received from the city?
3. What kind of vessel does Monagan commandeer to get to Galveston after the storm?
4. What is Louise Hopkins first indicator that danger is coming?
(a) Her frog.
(b) Her kitten.
(c) Her puppy.
(d) Her turtle.
5. How many blocks from his house does Isaac's raft finally run aground?
6. What floats into the train station, causing the people waiting there to be alarmed for the first time?
(a) An empty boat.
(b) Body of a woman.
(c) Body of a child.
(d) A hoard of rats.
7. How much does the floodwater suddenly rise in a matter of seconds at one point in the storm?
(a) Four inches.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Four feet.
(d) Six inches.
8. What is the thing that finally gets Galveston residents to take the storm seriously?
(a) A child drowning.
(b) Ritter's Cafe roof collapse.
(c) Midway destroyed.
(d) The Strand destroyed.
9. Who suggests that they evacuate the Cline house for higher ground?
(d) Dr. Young.
10. Whom did Isaac tell he was afraid that he may have underestimated the storm?
11. What saves the life of Dr. Young's wife?
(a) A train.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A tree.
(d) A door.
12. What smell begins to dilute the smell of death in Galveston?
(b) Funeral flowers.
(c) Oil rigs.
(d) Fresh-cut lumber.
13. How many men are eating at Ritter's Cafe and Saloon when the roof falls?
14. What time did the first train of the day arrive in Galveston during the hurricane?
(a) 11:30 a.m.
(b) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 1:15 p.m.
(d) 2:30 p.m.
15. The second train headed to Galveston the day of the storm is coming from where?
(d) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take Isaac to get back to work after the hurricane?
2. Isaac and his colleagues believe that the ____ is the single most destructive element in a hurricane.
3. Where does August Rollfing ride out the storm?
4. What national disaster had the highest death toll before the Galveston hurricane?
5. Whose birthday does eight-year-old Henry Cortes come to Galveston to celebrate the day of the storm?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)