|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides being an amateur meteorologist, Dr. Young is also _____________.
(a) Professor at the local college.
(b) Town doctor.
(c) Secretary of the Cotton Exchange.
(d) Mayor of Galveston.
2. Whom does Isaac consider one of the great pioneers of meteorology?
(a) Daniel Day Lewis.
(b) Daniel Defoe.
(c) William Dampier.
(d) Willem Defoe.
3. What college does Isaac attend?
(a) Abilene Christian College.
(b) Vassar College.
(c) Hiwassee College.
(d) Trinity College.
4. What kind of sleeper is Isaac?
5. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Jules Verne.
(d) George Eliot.
6. How old is Isaac's brother, Joseph?
7. What is the age of Isaac's oldest daughter at the opening of the book?
8. General Hazen is in charge of what?
(a) U.S. Weather Bureau.
(b) U.S. Signal Corps.
(c) U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(d) U.S. Army.
9. Where is Isaac's office?
(a) The Strand.
(b) Levy Building.
(c) Tremont Street.
(d) Avenue Q.
10. What immigrant group makes up one-third of the Galveston population in 1889?
(c) Caribbean islanders.
11. What word does the U.S. weather service make every effort to avoid?
12. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
(b) A child.
13. The Friday before the hurricane brings what?
(a) Torrential rain.
(b) Rough seas.
(c) Strong wind.
(d) Cooler weather.
14. What could Isaac feel the night before the storm?
(a) The wind.
(d) The waves.
15. Who is William Stockman?
(a) Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.
(b) Chief of the U.S. Weather Bureau.
(c) Ambassador to Cuba.
(d) U.S. forecast official in Havana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came up with a compelling theory about the cause of the trade winds?
2. Where is Isaac sent to set up a weather station in Texas?
3. How long is the letter William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody the day before the hurricane?
4. What is the heart of the weather service?
5. What is the date at the opening of the book?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)