|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Roofs in Galveston are shingled in ___________.
2. What year is London hit with a devastating cyclone?
3. What is Isaac's occupation in addition to being a meteorologist?
4. Where do the American forecasters think the storm is headed?
(a) Atlantic coast.
(b) Out to sea.
(c) Texas coastline.
5. Weather service stations are accused of doing all but one of the following:
(a) Taking nude photos.
(b) Robbing banks.
(d) Extreme filth.
6. In 1888, what weather disaster does the weather service fail to forecast?
(a) Miami hurricane.
(b) New York City blizzard.
(c) Denver heat wave.
(d) Los Angeles blizzard.
7. What is the name of the newest member of Isaac's staff the summer of 1900?
(a) Willis Moore.
(b) Joseph Cline.
(c) John Blagden.
(d) Harry Baldwin.
8. Who takes over the scandal-ridden weather service in 1887?
(a) Gen. Greely.
(b) Col. Johnson.
(c) Gen. Custer.
(d) Col. Dunwoody.
9. Where does Moore recommend fishermen should remove their nets ahead of the storm?
(c) North Carolina.
(d) New Jersey.
10. Who is Willis Moore?
(a) Chief of the U.S. Weather Bureau.
(b) Mayor of Galveston.
(c) U.S. Secretary of the Interior.
(d) Minister of the First Methodist Church.
11. How many people does the last paragraph of "The Beach" say will die in the next twenty-four hours?
12. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
(a) A child.
13. How old is Isaac?
14. What is the date at the opening of the book?
(a) September 8, 1999.
(b) September 7, 1901.
(c) September 7, 1900.
(d) September 9, 1900.
15. What does Moore ban from Cuba?
(a) Scientists from studying in America.
(c) Telegrams about weather.
(d) Hurricane warnings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the storm reach on August 31?
2. What is the name of the most elegant hotel in Galveston?
3. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
4. What kind of sleeper is Isaac?
5. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)