|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what field is Isaac a pioneer?
(a) Military medicine.
(c) Missionary work.
(d) Medical climatology.
2. In 1888, what weather disaster does the weather service fail to forecast?
(a) Los Angeles blizzard.
(b) Miami hurricane.
(c) New York City blizzard.
(d) Denver heat wave.
3. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
4. How many passengers are aboard the Louisiana the day of the hurricane?
5. What is Isaac sent to Arkansas to study?
6. What year is London hit with a devastating cyclone?
7. In what year did Galveston experience a big fire?
8. On what street do Isaac and his family live in Galveston?
(a) Orchard Avenue.
(b) Miles Street.
(c) Avenue Q.
(d) Main Street.
9. The storm begins with the awakening of ___________.
10. The Friday before the hurricane brings what?
(a) Strong wind.
(b) Torrential rain.
(c) Rough seas.
(d) Cooler weather.
11. How many miles above sea level is the highest point of Galveston?
12. What is the date at the opening of the book?
(a) September 7, 1901.
(b) September 8, 1999.
(c) September 7, 1900.
(d) September 9, 1900.
13. Where did Isaac earn a college degree?
(a) University of Arkansas.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Stanford University.
(d) University of Texas.
14. Growing up, Isaac loves to read books by ____________.
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Jules Verne.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
15. What is the name of the newest member of Isaac's staff the summer of 1900?
(a) John Blagden.
(b) Willis Moore.
(c) Joseph Cline.
(d) Harry Baldwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac believes in ___________.
2. What is the name of the most elegant hotel in Galveston?
3. What is the name of Captain Halsey's ship?
4. Where does Moore recommend fishermen should remove their nets ahead of the storm?
5. What does Joseph come to Galveston to be?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)