|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General Hazen is in charge of what?
(a) U.S. Weather Bureau.
(b) U.S. Signal Corps.
(c) U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(d) U.S. Army.
2. Dr. Young notes that all the signs are present for a _____________ the days before the hurricane.
(a) Heat wave.
(b) Low pressure system.
(c) Tropical storm.
3. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
(b) A child.
4. In 1888, what weather disaster does the weather service fail to forecast?
(a) Los Angeles blizzard.
(b) New York City blizzard.
(c) Denver heat wave.
(d) Miami hurricane.
5. The Friday before the hurricane brings what?
(a) Cooler weather.
(b) Torrential rain.
(c) Rough seas.
(d) Strong wind.
6. The barometer reading Joseph takes the night before the storm is ____________.
(c) Under 28.
(d) Over 30.
7. What college does Isaac attend?
(a) Hiwassee College.
(b) Vassar College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Abilene Christian College.
8. How many cyclones has Captain Halsey survived?
9. What are swimsuits made from in 1900?
10. Where does the storm reach on August 31?
(b) Puerto Rico.
(c) Caribbean Sea.
(d) Gulf of Mexico.
11. What is Isaac sent to Arkansas to study?
12. What country is leading the innovation in predicting hurricanes at the time of the story?
13. Where is Isaac sent to set up a weather station in Texas?
(a) Fort Concho.
(c) Fort Sumter.
(d) San Angelo.
14. What weather phenomenon sets Isaac on the path to being a meteorologist?
(b) Sand storm.
15. Where does Isaac give a speech about weather to a packed crowd?
(b) Galveston YMCA.
(c) Galveston Civic Center.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides being an amateur meteorologist, Dr. Young is also _____________.
2. What is the date at the opening of the book?
3. What is the wind speed that Captain Halsey records on his ship the day of the hurricane?
4. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
5. In what field is Isaac a pioneer?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)