|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the letter William Stockman sends to Col. Dunwoody the day before the hurricane?
(a) 5 pages.
(b) 18 pages.
(c) 1 page.
(d) 10 pages.
2. Growing up, Isaac loves to read books by ____________.
(a) Jules Verne.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) George Eliot.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
3. Where the Americans see numbers in relation to weather, the Cubans see ____________.
4. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Jules Verne.
5. What does Isaac raise late the morning of the hurricane?
(a) Clear skies flag.
(b) Storm warning flag.
(c) Hurricane flag.
(d) Weather advisory flag.
6. What is the name of Captain Halsey's ship?
7. General Hazen is in charge of what?
(a) U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(b) U.S. Army.
(c) U.S. Weather Bureau.
(d) U.S. Signal Corps.
8. What is the name of the newest member of Isaac's staff the summer of 1900?
(a) Joseph Cline.
(b) John Blagden.
(c) Willis Moore.
(d) Harry Baldwin.
9. Who is William Stockman?
(a) Chief of the U.S. Weather Bureau.
(b) Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.
(c) U.S. forecast official in Havana.
(d) Ambassador to Cuba.
10. A photograph of Isaac shows him to be what?
(b) A child.
11. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
12. Where did Isaac grow up?
13. For whom does Isaac record weather?
(a) Galveston Times.
(b) U.S. Signal Corps.
(c) University of Texas.
(d) U.S. Weather Bureau.
14. Where do the American forecasters think the storm is headed?
(a) Out to sea.
(b) Atlantic coast.
(c) Texas coastline.
15. What year is London hit with a devastating cyclone?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles above sea level is the highest point of Galveston?
2. Where does the storm reach on August 31?
3. Where do the winds of the tropical storm suddenly weaken, causing forecasters to miscalculate the intensity and path of the storm?
4. According to Dr. Young, the storm would first move ___________ because cyclones always do.
5. What could Isaac feel the night before the storm?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)