|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tropical storm that dumped record amounts of rain on the Texas coast in 1979?
2. Who came up with a compelling theory about the cause of the trade winds?
(a) Lindon Sinclair.
(b) George Hadley.
(c) Steven Smith.
(d) Edmund Halley.
3. Weather service stations are accused of doing all but one of the following:
(a) Extreme filth.
(b) Robbing banks.
(d) Taking nude photos.
4. Where do the American forecasters think the storm is headed?
(a) Atlantic coast.
(c) Texas coastline.
(d) Out to sea.
5. Isaac believes in ___________.
(a) The Laws of Weather.
(b) Farmer's Wisdom.
(c) The Laws of Storms.
(d) The Providence of God.
6. Who correctly predicts the hurricane in Cuba?
(a) Father Vine.
(b) William Stockman.
(c) Col. Dunwoody.
(d) Father Gangoite.
7. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
8. Whom does Isaac consider one of the great pioneers of meteorology?
(a) Willem Defoe.
(b) William Dampier.
(c) Daniel Day Lewis.
(d) Daniel Defoe.
9. Who wakes Isaac at 4 a.m. the morning of the hurricane?
(a) His oldest daughter.
(b) His youngest daughter.
(c) His brother.
(d) His wife.
10. What is the name of the steamship in the gulf on the day of the Hurricane?
11. Where does Isaac give a speech about weather to a packed crowd?
(b) Galveston YMCA.
(d) Galveston Civic Center.
12. What immigrant group makes up one-third of the Galveston population in 1889?
(b) Caribbean islanders.
13. What does Joseph come to Galveston to be?
14. What is Isaac sent to Arkansas to study?
15. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
(a) Jules Verne.
(b) George Eliot.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what field is Isaac a pioneer?
2. For whom does Isaac record weather?
3. Where did Isaac grow up?
4. What college does Isaac attend?
5. How many storms are there in the hurricane season before Galveston?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)