|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Louisa Rollfing's family make a final payment?
2. Dr. Young notes that all the signs are present for a _____________ the days before the hurricane.
(a) Low pressure system.
(b) Heat wave.
(d) Tropical storm.
3. What does Isaac become obsessed with after an article he wrote is rejected?
4. Where is Isaac sent to set up a weather station in Texas?
(a) Fort Concho.
(b) San Angelo.
(d) Fort Sumter.
5. What is the heart of the weather service?
(a) The anemometer.
(b) The telegraph.
(c) Wind measurements.
6. Who writes parodies about the efforts of the weather service?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Jules Verne.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) George Eliot.
7. According to Zebrowski, a hurricane can start with all these except one:
(a) The flutter of a butterfly's wings.
(b) A burst of heat from a gunnery drill.
(c) A rain drop hitting a leaf.
(d) A plume of hot sea.
8. How old is Isaac?
9. What does the Weather Bureau forbid its stations from doing?
10. Growing up, Isaac loves to read books by ____________.
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) George Eliot.
(d) Jules Verne.
11. What college does Isaac attend?
(a) Hiwassee College.
(b) Abilene Christian College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Vassar College.
12. In what field is Isaac a pioneer?
(a) Medical climatology.
(c) Missionary work.
(d) Military medicine.
13. How many cyclones has Captain Halsey survived?
14. Who takes over the scandal-ridden weather service in 1887?
(a) Col. Johnson.
(b) Col. Dunwoody.
(c) Gen. Custer.
(d) Gen. Greely.
15. Where is Isaac's office?
(a) Avenue Q.
(b) Tremont Street.
(c) Levy Building.
(d) The Strand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac receives conflicting reports about the storm's intensity from where?
2. What year is London hit with a devastating cyclone?
3. How many people does the last paragraph of "The Beach" say will die in the next twenty-four hours?
4. What does Isaac raise late the morning of the hurricane?
5. What is the name of the missing ship out of Tampa?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)