The Beach: September 8, 1900
• As the book begins, Isaac Monroe Cline is experiencing odd weather phenomena that awaken him on the night of September 7, 1900.
• Isaac is a man of the times, full of the optimism and arrogance that America felt in 1900.
• Isaac and his younger brother Joseph monitor the weather and record the barometric pressure for the U.S. Weather Bureau in Galveston, Texas.
• Isaac is a trained physician and is fascinated with how weather affects people. Isaac believes he can accurately predict the weather.
• There is tension and rivalry between Isaac and Joseph.
• The brothers live together, along with Isaac's pregnant wife and three daughters.
• On the morning of the storm, Joseph thinks a big storm is coming and a telegram should be sent to Washington. Isaac completely disagrees.
• Despite feeling the pounding waves and other ominous signs, Isaac goes about the town not recognizing that a big...
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)