|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac visited some merchants whom he told to raise their products how high off the floor because there could be some minor flooding?
2. Isaac privately wished he would have brought his family __________ for their safety during the storm.
3. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
4. After the storm, there were so many dead that the city resolved to do what with the corpses?
5. The roof was blown off and the second floor of the building collapsed on what cafe, killing half the diners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
2. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
3. How does the author describe the events at Ritter's Cafe?
4. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
5. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
6. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
7. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
8. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
9. What were Dr. Sam Young's experiences like as the storm began flooding Galveston?
10. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
Essay Topic 2
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)