|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first floor of Dr. Young's house was in how many feet of water before it was hit by a large object?
2. After the storm, Isaac Cline claimed to have saved over how many people, according to the author in Part III: Spectacle?
3. Isaac Cline and which neighbor were on the beach at dawn on Saturday as the storm rolled in?
4. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
5. The morning after the storm passed, the house where Isaac and his daughters had found shelter in was at what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
2. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
3. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
4. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
5. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
6. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
7. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
8. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
9. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
10. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the geography of Galveston in 1900. What elements of the topography led Galveston to be particularly vulnerable in the event of a hurricane? How was the city's infrastructure developed? How is it different today?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the conflicts between the US Weather Bureau and the local Cuban forecasters. How was Willis Moore to blame for the animosity between the two? How many lives were potentially lost as a result of egoism? How does the author express this thematically in the narrative?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)