|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Sam Young's located?
2. What did Isaac see sitting on every available object when he reached home?
3. Isaac Cline and which neighbor were on the beach at dawn on Saturday as the storm rolled in?
4. When a train from Houston to Galveston became stalled, a team of men buried how many corpses found during the afternoon?
5. Who insisted on staying in Isaac Cline's house, believing it to be capable of withstanding the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
2. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
3. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
4. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
5. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
6. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
7. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
8. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
9. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
10. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)