|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insisted on staying in Isaac Cline's house, believing it to be capable of withstanding the storm?
2. After the storm, Isaac Cline claimed to have saved over how many people, according to the author in Part III: Spectacle?
3. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
4. What writer for the Dallas News took a train from Houston to Galveston?
5. How many passengers were on the train from Beaumont, Texas, traveling into Galveston during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the events at Ritter's Cafe?
2. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
3. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
4. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
5. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
6. What were Dr. Sam Young's experiences like as the storm began flooding Galveston?
7. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
8. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
9. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
10. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)