|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part IV: Cataclysm, a telegram was sent from the weather station where to the Chief of the US Weather Bureau in Washington, DC, informing him that they had lost all contact with the Galveston office?
2. Where did a train from Houston to Galveston become stalled?
3. What daughter of Ruby Credo's was severely injured when a piece of wood was driven through her arm?
4. What writer for the Dallas News took a train from Houston to Galveston?
5. At one point the water rushed in Dr. Young's second story window which was how many feet above the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
2. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
3. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
4. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
5. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
6. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
7. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
8. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
9. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
10. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)