|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the passengers on the train from Beaumont, Texas, departed and headed to a lighthouse they saw in the distance when the train was trapped?
2. The manager of the phone company was finally able to get Joseph Cline in touch with whom?
3. What refers to a wireless solar telegraph that signals by flashes of sunlight reflected by a mirror?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. What writer for the Dallas News took a train from Houston to Galveston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
2. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
3. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
4. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
5. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
6. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
7. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
8. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
9. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
10. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)