|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Louise Hopkins's siblings made it home last, with water up to his underarms?
2. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)