|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Young lost his house, but his family was safe in _______________.
2. In Part IV: Cataclysm, a telegram was sent from the weather station where to the Chief of the US Weather Bureau in Washington, DC, informing him that they had lost all contact with the Galveston office?
3. August Rollfing hired a driver and buggy with orders to pick up his wife and children and take them to his mother's house where in Part IV: Cataclysm?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. What daughter of Ruby Credo's was severely injured when a piece of wood was driven through her arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
2. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
4. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
5. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
6. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
7. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
8. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
9. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
10. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)