|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the storm, there were so many dead that the city resolved to do what with the corpses?
2. Captain Simmons's first officer felt they were in a confluence of storms--a hurricane from the east and a gale from what direction?
3. In the early evening, Dr. Young could only see one house in the area that was still standing. It belonged to whom?
4. It was estimated that at the height of the storm, the barometric pressure fell to __________.
5. What sixteen-year-old was washed to the mainland and was given up for dead but reappeared a week later in Part V: Strange News?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
Essay Topic 3
Should the media censor information which could lead to panic? In the case of the hurricane of 1900, would the civilians have been better off knowing that a "cyclone" were approaching? What examples from contemporary society can we see of the media or governmental agencies censoring what is told to the public?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)