|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac Cline's neighbor sent a telegram to whom, telling them to delay a trip into Galveston?
2. Cuban forecasters indicated that they had correctly predicted that the storm would not __________.
3. The morning after the storm passed, the house where Isaac and his daughters had found shelter in was how far from his own house?
4. Joseph attempted to phone to Washington, but the telephone operator wouldn't put him through because there were how many people ahead of him waiting to place calls?
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
2. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
3. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
4. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
5. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
6. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
7. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
8. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
9. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
10. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the August wave, and discuss the atmospheric conditions which took place leading up to the hurricane of 1900. How did the August wave help to strengthen the storm? How does the butterfly effect apply to the hurricane of 1900?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)