|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the letter that Willis Moore wrote defending the forecasting conducted by the Weather Bureau published?
2. Where did a train from Houston to Galveston become stalled?
3. After the storm, Anthony Credo learned that he had lost a total of how many family members?
4. The building which housed the Galveston weather station was how many stories high?
5. August Rollfing hired a driver and buggy with orders to pick up his wife and children and take them to his mother's house where in Part IV: Cataclysm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
2. What was Louise Hopkins doing as the flooding began in Galveston? Where did she go?
3. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
4. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
5. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
6. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
7. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
8. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
9. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
10. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the predictions of Isaac Cline and Professor Andrew Jackson DeVoe of the 1900 hurricane. What is the significance of these predictions in terms of the book's narrative? Do they serve as symbols? How does intuition relate to Isaac and Joseph Cline?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)