|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There was great concern that ________ would have a mental breakdown after his wife's body was found.
2. Where did a train from Houston to Galveston become stalled?
3. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
4. Isaac wrote an urgent cable to Willis Moore telling him of the terrible situation and gave the message to whom to deliver?
5. The building which housed the Galveston weather station was how many stories high?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
2. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
3. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
4. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
5. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
6. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
7. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
8. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
9. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
10. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)