|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a train from Houston to Galveston became stalled, a team of men buried how many corpses found during the afternoon?
2. Louise Hopkins was playing with which friend in the yard when they began to see debris and water rushing down the streets?
3. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
4. Captain Simmons's first officer felt they were in a confluence of storms--a hurricane from the east and a gale from what direction?
5. After the storm, Anthony Credo learned that he had lost a total of how many family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)