|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Galveston was the victim of two storm surges, one from the Gulf and one from ____________.
2. By what date does the author write that the streets of Galveston were cleaned, there were no pyres, the decomposition odor had lifted and new construction was everywhere?
3. Isaac wrote an urgent cable to Willis Moore telling him of the terrible situation and gave the message to whom to deliver?
4. After the storm, Isaac Cline claimed to have saved over how many people, according to the author in Part III: Spectacle?
5. How many passengers were on the train from Beaumont, Texas, traveling into Galveston during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
2. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
3. What was Louise Hopkins doing as the flooding began in Galveston? Where did she go?
4. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
5. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
6. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
7. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
8. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
9. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
10. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the geography of Galveston in 1900. What elements of the topography led Galveston to be particularly vulnerable in the event of a hurricane? How was the city's infrastructure developed? How is it different today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)