Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Louise Hopkins's siblings made it home last, with water up to his underarms?
2. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conflicts between the US Weather Bureau and the local Cuban forecasters. How was Willis Moore to blame for the animosity between the two? How many lives were potentially lost as a result of egoism? How does the author express this thematically in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)