|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first floor of Dr. Young's house was in how many feet of water before it was hit by a large object?
2. By evening, Judson Palmer estimated that the water in his yard was how deep?
3. Who insisted that the family evacuate Isaac Cline's house because it was too dangerous in Part III: Spectacle?
4. Isaac visited some merchants whom he told to raise their products how high off the floor because there could be some minor flooding?
5. The train coming from Beaumont, Texas, into Galveston during the storm was traveling along the flooded tracks of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
2. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
3. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
4. What was Louise Hopkins doing as the flooding began in Galveston? Where did she go?
5. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
6. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
7. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
8. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
9. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
10. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)