Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Louise Hopkins's siblings made it home last, with water up to his underarms?
2. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the predictions of Isaac Cline and Professor Andrew Jackson DeVoe of the 1900 hurricane. What is the significance of these predictions in terms of the book's narrative? Do they serve as symbols? How does intuition relate to Isaac and Joseph Cline?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the scandal of Henry Howgate and its impact on the US Signal Corps. How was the reputation of the Corps affected upon Isaac Cline's arrival? What did Isaac know about this history? How did Howgate escape the authorities and where did he go?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)