|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What humanitarian arrived to help and sent a message that the situation had not been exaggerated?
2. Where was the letter that Willis Moore wrote defending the forecasting conducted by the Weather Bureau published?
3. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
4. It was estimated that at the height of the storm, the barometric pressure fell to __________.
5. Which of Louise Hopkins's siblings arrived home first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
2. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
3. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
4. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
5. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
6. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
7. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
8. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
9. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
10. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the August wave, and discuss the atmospheric conditions which took place leading up to the hurricane of 1900. How did the August wave help to strengthen the storm? How does the butterfly effect apply to the hurricane of 1900?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)