|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Sam Young's located?
2. The morning after the storm passed, the house where Isaac and his daughters had found shelter in was how far from his own house?
3. How many of the passengers on the train from Beaumont, Texas, departed and headed to a lighthouse they saw in the distance when the train was trapped?
4. Dr. Young lost his house, but his family was safe in _______________.
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)