|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Isaac's alarm, his office still downplayed the potential severity of the storm, referring to it by what name?
2. The train coming from Beaumont, Texas, into Galveston during the storm was traveling along the flooded tracks of what?
3. Isaac visited some merchants whom he told to raise their products how high off the floor because there could be some minor flooding?
4. Dr. Young lost his house, but his family was safe in _______________.
5. Isaac privately wished he would have brought his family __________ for their safety during the storm.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
2. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
4. What were Dr. Sam Young's experiences like as the storm began flooding Galveston?
5. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
6. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
7. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
8. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
9. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
10. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Why did William B. Stockman send a report to Washington stating that the storm had passed without dangerous winds in Cuba? What did Stockman serve to gain by doing so? What were the repercussions of his actions?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)