Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Louise Hopkins's siblings made it home last, with water up to his underarms?
2. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
4. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
5. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
Discuss the history of the US Weather Bureau and Isaac Cline's work within the Bureau. How long had Cline been in Galveston by 1900? Where had Cline studied meteorology? Where were his assignments prior to Galveston? How was Cline perceived by his superiors?
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)