|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Isaac's alarm, his office still downplayed the potential severity of the storm, referring to it by what name?
2. How many passengers on the Beaumont, Texas, train died when the storm surged and derailed the train?
3. Joseph attempted to phone to Washington, but the telephone operator wouldn't put him through because there were how many people ahead of him waiting to place calls?
4. The manager of the phone company was finally able to get Joseph Cline in touch with whom?
5. In Part IV: Cataclysm, a telegram was sent from the weather station where to the Chief of the US Weather Bureau in Washington, DC, informing him that they had lost all contact with the Galveston office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
2. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
3. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
4. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
5. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
6. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
7. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
8. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
9. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
10. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the conflicts between the US Weather Bureau and the local Cuban forecasters. How was Willis Moore to blame for the animosity between the two? How many lives were potentially lost as a result of egoism? How does the author express this thematically in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)