|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac sent a telegram to the Central Office where advising them that the water was high and there were opposing winds?
2. What was the maiden name of Isaac Cline's wife?
3. The fact that Isaac Cline paid cash for goods and services was published in a directory by what company?
4. What was the name of the steamship that Captain T. P. Halsey commanded during the storm?
5. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
2. How does the author describe the life of Joseph Cline following the storm?
3. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
4. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
5. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
6. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
7. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
8. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
9. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
10. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the scandal of Henry Howgate and its impact on the US Signal Corps. How was the reputation of the Corps affected upon Isaac Cline's arrival? What did Isaac know about this history? How did Howgate escape the authorities and where did he go?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)