|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War begin?
2. Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in what year?
3. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
4. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, the author writes that the big storm entered the Caribbean on what date?
5. In what year did Isaac Cline join the meteorology training program of the US Army Signal Corps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
2. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
3. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
4. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
5. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
6. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
7. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
8. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
9. What concerned Isaac about the weather on the night of September 7, 1900?
10. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)