|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just prior to the storm, there was a heat wave in the United States in which how many people died?
2. When Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th, what was the temperature?
3. Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in what year?
4. What were the names of Isaac Cline's parents?
5. Who was an English-Indian scientist and merchant captain who coined the name cyclone for tropical storms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
2. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
3. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
4. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
5. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
6. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
7. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
8. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
9. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
10. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did William B. Stockman send a report to Washington stating that the storm had passed without dangerous winds in Cuba? What did Stockman serve to gain by doing so? What were the repercussions of his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)