|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, Isaac walked to the beach and noted the arrival of a large British steamship called _____________.
2. Whose controlling nature had resulted in a schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
3. According to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms, the first official notation of the storm was made by a Captain in his log on what date?
4. Isaac Cline's new house was located how many blocks north of the Gulf?
5. Chief Stockman's station failed to detect the switch in wind direction in what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
2. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
3. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
4. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
5. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
6. What concerned Isaac about the weather on the night of September 7, 1900?
7. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
8. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
9. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
10. How were the Midwest and Gulf of Mexico affected by the heat wave described in Part I: The Law of Storms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)