|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the names of Isaac Cline's parents?
2. The narrative of Introduction: The Beach states that on the night of what date did Isaac Monroe Cline have an inexplicable feeling of foreboding?
3. Isaac Cline arrived in Washington, DC to study at the US Signal Corps on what date?
4. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac sent a telegram to the Central Office where advising them that the water was high and there were opposing winds?
5. The sequence that consisted of dry air, blue skies, and fair conditions changed to dominating high clouds and gray skies. Eventually, dark skies and a lower cloud ceiling were known as the _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
2. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
3. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
4. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
5. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
6. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
7. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
8. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
9. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
10. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)