|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ship "The Louisiana" sailed from what location to Galveston during the hurricane of 1900?
2. What Founding Father kept a lifelong weather journal, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. What bison hunter and showman does the author describe performing in the Wild West in Introduction: The Beach?
4. Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in what year?
5. Where did Isaac Cline earn his Doctor of Medicine degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
2. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
3. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
4. What position was Isaac Cline offered after the Galveston hurricane? How did Isaac feel about the promotion?
5. How far did the storm that destroyed Galveston travel before it finally dissipated? What damage was left in its wake?
6. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
7. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
8. How many confirmed deaths were there in Galveston after the storm? What different accounts does the author describe of the losses?
9. Who was assigned as bureau forecast official in Cuba? How was this meteorologist described by the author?
10. How does the author describe the life of Joseph Cline following the storm?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Define the August wave, and discuss the atmospheric conditions which took place leading up to the hurricane of 1900. How did the August wave help to strengthen the storm? How does the butterfly effect apply to the hurricane of 1900?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the US Weather Bureau and Isaac Cline's work within the Bureau. How long had Cline been in Galveston by 1900? Where had Cline studied meteorology? Where were his assignments prior to Galveston? How was Cline perceived by his superiors?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)