|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Louisa Rollfing's husband?
2. What Englishman studied the significance of the colors of the skies just prior to a storm?
3. Whose controlling nature had resulted in a schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
4. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
5. The author writes that low pressure lingered over ___________, and the air was heavy with moisture, causing trillions of water molecules to heat up.
Short Essay Questions
1. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
2. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
3. What concerned Isaac about the weather on the night of September 7, 1900?
4. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
5. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
6. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
7. Who was assigned as bureau forecast official in Cuba? How was this meteorologist described by the author?
8. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
9. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
10. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 3
Why did William B. Stockman send a report to Washington stating that the storm had passed without dangerous winds in Cuba? What did Stockman serve to gain by doing so? What were the repercussions of his actions?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)