|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
2. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac sent a telegram to the Central Office where advising them that the water was high and there were opposing winds?
3. In what year did Louisa Rollfing marry her husband?
4. On September 1, 1900, the Rollfing family made their last payment on what?
5. What was a nationalist movement by the "Righteous Harmony Society" in China between 1898 and 1901?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
2. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
4. Where was Isaac Cline sent to work in 1891? How was his work there perceived by his superiors? How did Isaac perceive his work?
5. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
6. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
7. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
8. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
9. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
10. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 2
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)