|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was assigned as a new bureau forecast official for Havana?
2. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
3. Who was the Chief of the U S Weather Bureau in 1900?
4. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac sent a telegram to the Central Office where advising them that the water was high and there were opposing winds?
5. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
2. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
4. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
5. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
6. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
7. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
8. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
9. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
10. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the geography of Galveston in 1900. What elements of the topography led Galveston to be particularly vulnerable in the event of a hurricane? How was the city's infrastructure developed? How is it different today?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)