|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chief Stockman's station failed to detect the switch in wind direction in what city?
2. What sportswriter in New Jersey does the author discuss in Introduction: The Beach?
3. What refers to the lowest portion of Earth's atmosphere?
4. What city suffered from twelve consecutive days of 90 degree temperatures or above, prior to the hurricane that hit Galveston?
5. Chief Stockman was irritated that the Cuban forecasters had referred to the storm as _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
2. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
3. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
4. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
5. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
6. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
7. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
8. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
9. According to the author, for what reason do some tropical disturbances cross the Atlantic, but others do not?
10. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the predictions of Isaac Cline and Professor Andrew Jackson DeVoe of the 1900 hurricane. What is the significance of these predictions in terms of the book's narrative? Do they serve as symbols? How does intuition relate to Isaac and Joseph Cline?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)