|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
2. What tamale vendor had an asterisk by his name, indicating he was an untrustworthy businessman in Galveston records, according to the author in Introduction: The Beach?
3. Where was Isaac Cline born?
4. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War begin?
5. In Part I: The Law of Storms, the author writes that the storm began gathering over the African highlands east of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
2. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
3. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
4. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
5. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
6. Who was assigned as bureau forecast official in Cuba? How was this meteorologist described by the author?
7. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
8. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
9. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
10. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the scandal of Henry Howgate and its impact on the US Signal Corps. How was the reputation of the Corps affected upon Isaac Cline's arrival? What did Isaac know about this history? How did Howgate escape the authorities and where did he go?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)