|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a wind that blows against the direction of travel?
2. What school dean recommended Isaac Cline to study at the US Signal Corps?
3. Who, flanked by his Rough Riders, campaigned for the vice presidency in Introduction: The Beach?
4. What city suffered from twelve consecutive days of 90 degree temperatures or above, prior to the hurricane that hit Galveston?
5. What astronomer was the first to recognize that the earth's rotation had a great impact on weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
2. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
3. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
4. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
5. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
6. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
7. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
8. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
9. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
10. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 2
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)