|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In August of what year did Columbus' ships sail on smooth waters under blue skies when an observer sounded the alarm after sighting huge swells just ahead, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
2. In 1900, Galveston was the biggest port for what product in the United States?
3. Just prior to the storm, there was a heat wave in the United States in which how many people died?
4. According to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms, the first official notation of the storm was made by a Captain in his log on what date?
5. What was the maiden name of Isaac Cline's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
2. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
3. Where was Isaac Cline sent to work in 1891? How was his work there perceived by his superiors? How did Isaac perceive his work?
4. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
5. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
6. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
7. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
8. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
9. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
10. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the geography of Galveston in 1900. What elements of the topography led Galveston to be particularly vulnerable in the event of a hurricane? How was the city's infrastructure developed? How is it different today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)