|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a wind that blows with the direction of travel?
2. What politician wrote that Americans felt "four hundred percent bigger" than the year before in 1900?
3. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
4. On Wednesday, the Weather Bureau was predicting that the storm would move north and land in New England by what day?
5. What astronomer was the first to recognize that the earth's rotation had a great impact on weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
2. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
3. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
4. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
5. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
6. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
7. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
8. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
9. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
10. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the members of Isaac Cline's family. What was Isaac's relationship like with his brother? How many children did Isaac have? How was his home described in the narrative? What elements of conflict existed within the Cline family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conflicts between the US Weather Bureau and the local Cuban forecasters. How was Willis Moore to blame for the animosity between the two? How many lives were potentially lost as a result of egoism? How does the author express this thematically in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)