|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Captain Halsey continued on his journey in Part II: the Serpent's Coil, he estimated the wind at what speed when he had probably neared the heart of the storm?
2. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
3. What school dean recommended Isaac Cline to study at the US Signal Corps?
4. What Englishman studied the significance of the colors of the skies just prior to a storm?
5. In 1900, Galveston was the biggest port for what product in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
2. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
3. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
5. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
6. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
7. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
8. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
9. Who was assigned as bureau forecast official in Cuba? How was this meteorologist described by the author?
10. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)