|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Perils of a Restless Planet?
2. Just prior to the storm, there was a heat wave in the United States in which how many people died?
3. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
4. Where was Isaac Cline born?
5. What General of the US Signal Corps wanted to staff his department with the best in Part I: The Law of Storms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
2. According to the author, for what reason do some tropical disturbances cross the Atlantic, but others do not?
3. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
4. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
5. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
6. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
7. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
8. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
9. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
10. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the predictions of Isaac Cline and Professor Andrew Jackson DeVoe of the 1900 hurricane. What is the significance of these predictions in terms of the book's narrative? Do they serve as symbols? How does intuition relate to Isaac and Joseph Cline?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)