|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Louisa Rollfing's daughter?
2. Isaac Cline had considered becoming what before he was invited to study climatology?
3. In 1900, Galveston was the biggest port for what product in the United States?
4. What college did Isaac Cline attend?
5. What was the warmest month on record from the upper Mississippi Valley to the Ohio Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was assigned as bureau forecast official in Cuba? How was this meteorologist described by the author?
2. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
3. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
4. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
5. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
6. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
7. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
8. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
9. According to the author, for what reason do some tropical disturbances cross the Atlantic, but others do not?
10. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)