|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On September 4, 1900 what knocked out the city of Galveston's power and threw all the government buildings into darkness?
2. Isaac Cline's new house was located how many blocks north of the Gulf?
3. What was the warmest month on record from the upper Mississippi Valley to the Ohio Valley?
4. What tamale vendor had an asterisk by his name, indicating he was an untrustworthy businessman in Galveston records, according to the author in Introduction: The Beach?
5. Where did Isaac Cline earn his Doctor of Medicine degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
2. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
3. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
5. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
6. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
7. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
8. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
9. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
10. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meteorological discoveries of Thomas Jefferson, the Byzantine Empire, Aristotle and the Greeks, and Galileo. Of what importance were these men's discoveries to Isaac Cline? How had history developed a fascination for the weather in Isaac? In what ways did Isaac as a "scientist" relate to these historical figures?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)