|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
2. What sportswriter in New Jersey does the author discuss in Introduction: The Beach?
3. Who was an English-Indian scientist and merchant captain who coined the name cyclone for tropical storms?
4. In Galveston on September 6th, Joseph Cline made his weather observations at what time?
5. What was the name of the captain who commanded the "Pensacola"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
2. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
3. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
4. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
5. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
6. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
7. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
8. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
9. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
10. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the predictions of Isaac Cline and Professor Andrew Jackson DeVoe of the 1900 hurricane. What is the significance of these predictions in terms of the book's narrative? Do they serve as symbols? How does intuition relate to Isaac and Joseph Cline?
Essay Topic 3
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)