Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sequence that consisted of dry air, blue skies, and fair conditions changed to dominating high clouds and gray skies. Eventually, dark skies and a lower cloud ceiling were known as the _____________.
2. Who proved that air had mass, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. In what year had Isaac been assigned to open the Texas Section of the new US Weather Bureau?
4. Who was the founder and first President of American Association for the Advancement of Science?
5. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
2. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
3. What position was Isaac Cline offered after the Galveston hurricane? How did Isaac feel about the promotion?
4. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
5. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
6. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
7. How far did the storm that destroyed Galveston travel before it finally dissipated? What damage was left in its wake?
8. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
9. What was Louise Hopkins doing as the flooding began in Galveston? Where did she go?
10. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the major differences between meteorology today and in 1900. How are hurricanes tracked in the present day? What technological advances have improved weather reporting? How would these advancements have helped in reporting the hurricane that destroyed Galveston?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)