|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Isaac Cline earn his Doctor of Medicine degree?
2. On September 4, 1900 what knocked out the city of Galveston's power and threw all the government buildings into darkness?
3. In Part I: The Law of Storms, the author writes that the storm began gathering over the African highlands east of _____________.
4. In what year did Isaac Cline join the meteorology training program of the US Army Signal Corps?
5. Who wrote Perils of a Restless Planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
2. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
3. How were the Midwest and Gulf of Mexico affected by the heat wave described in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
5. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
6. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
7. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
8. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
9. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
10. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
Essay Topic 3
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)