|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
2. Where did Isaac Cline first meet his wife?
3. Chief Stockman's station failed to detect the switch in wind direction in what city?
4. In what year did Louisa Rollfing marry her husband?
5. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
2. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
3. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
4. What associations did Isaac Cline have with the medical profession? How did this correlate to meteorology?
5. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
6. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
7. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
8. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
9. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
10. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Rabbi Henry Cohen and the devastation of Ritter's Café in the narrative. How many individuals died in the collapse of Ritter's Café? What information does the author relate of these people? How did panic begin to spread in the city? What did the citizens do?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political climate of 1900 and the setting of Galveston at this time. What brochures or advertisements can be found which illustrate the "boom town" quality of Galveston? What "selling points" were used to draw both inhabitants and tourists to the city? How do these advertisements relate to those seen today for resort areas?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)