|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, the author writes that the big storm entered the Caribbean on what date?
2. Isaac Cline had considered becoming what before he was invited to study climatology?
3. What General of the US Signal Corps wanted to staff his department with the best in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. What bison hunter and showman does the author describe performing in the Wild West in Introduction: The Beach?
5. What physicist improved upon Galileo's device and created the first barometer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
2. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
3. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
4. How does the author describe the Rollfings? When did they marry?
5. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
6. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
7. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
8. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
9. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
10. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the heat wave of 1900. When did the heat wave begin? What regions of the United States were affected? How many died in the heat wave? How did the heat wave in the US contribute to conditions that led to the hurricane?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the atmospheric conditions discussed in "Spiderwebs and Ice." What are the different strata of the atmosphere? Why does rain not deplete hurricanes and tropical storms? What are the basic elements of hurricanes? How did the conditions of the 1900 hurricane compare with others in this century?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one element of foreshadowing in the first section of the book and analyze it. What is the author's purpose in using foreshadowing here? How does the foreshadowing impact the reader? Why does the author choose to introduce Captain Simmons in the first section?
This section contains 1,739 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)