Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sequence that consisted of dry air, blue skies, and fair conditions changed to dominating high clouds and gray skies. Eventually, dark skies and a lower cloud ceiling were known as the _____________.
2. Who proved that air had mass, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. In what year had Isaac been assigned to open the Texas Section of the new US Weather Bureau?
4. Who was the founder and first President of American Association for the Advancement of Science?
5. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
2. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
3. What position was Isaac Cline offered after the Galveston hurricane? How did Isaac feel about the promotion?
4. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
5. Describe the losses sustained by the Credo and Palmer families. How many were lost?
6. How does the author describe the arrival of the "Pensacola" in Galveston in Part V: Strange News?
7. How far did the storm that destroyed Galveston travel before it finally dissipated? What damage was left in its wake?
8. Where did Isaac and his family find themselves after the passing of the storm? How is the setting described?
9. What was Louise Hopkins doing as the flooding began in Galveston? Where did she go?
10. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
Analyze and discuss the theme of heroism in the narrative. What actions are detailed in the reading which illustrate the heroism of the train passengers? How many people survived due to the heroics of others? What heroic actions did Isaac Cline exhibit?
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Identify, analyze and discuss the point of view of the narrative. In what tense and person is the story told? Whose perspective does the reader see the events through, primarily? Is the point of view omniscient or limited?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)