|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose controlling nature had resulted in a schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
2. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
3. What school dean recommended Isaac Cline to study at the US Signal Corps?
4. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
5. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
2. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
3. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
4. Where was Isaac Cline sent to work in 1891? How was his work there perceived by his superiors? How did Isaac perceive his work?
5. Where and with whom did Isaac Cline live in the year 1900? How is his house described in Introduction: The Beach?
6. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
7. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
8. How were the Midwest and Gulf of Mexico affected by the heat wave described in Part I: The Law of Storms?
9. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
10. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Isaac's career after the US Signal Corps and prior to his arrival in Galveston. How long did Isaac work in Little Rock? Where did he transfer next? Also discuss the storm developments which took place in St. John. How did the atmospheric conditions in this location serve to strengthen the storm?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the scandal of Henry Howgate and its impact on the US Signal Corps. How was the reputation of the Corps affected upon Isaac Cline's arrival? What did Isaac know about this history? How did Howgate escape the authorities and where did he go?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the path of the hurricane of 1900 and the conditions in Galveston on September 6th. What indications did the Weather Bureau have that there would be mass destruction? What did Joseph Cline report in his observations for that day?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)