|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was estimated that at the height of the storm, the barometric pressure fell to __________.
2. Isaac Cline and which neighbor were on the beach at dawn on Saturday as the storm rolled in?
(a) Colonel William Sterett.
(b) Rabbi Henry Cohen.
(c) A. V. Kellogg.
(d) Dr. Young.
3. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
(a) Inflate prices.
(b) Sell expired goods.
(c) Charge tax.
(d) Be open on Sundays.
4. The morning after the storm passed, the house where Isaac and his daughters had found shelter in was at what location?
(a) 5th and H Streets.
(b) 28th and P Streets.
(c) 34th and B Strrets.
(d) 61st and M Streets.
5. It is estimated that wind gusts hit how many miles per hour during the hurricane in Galveston in 1900?
Short Answer Questions
1. The first floor of Dr. Young's house was in how many feet of water before it was hit by a large object?
2. How many people took shelter in Judson Palmer's house in Part IV: Cataclysm?
3. Who was a new employee at the Galveston weather station that found himself alone in the office?
4. What sixteen-year-old was washed to the mainland and was given up for dead but reappeared a week later in Part V: Strange News?
5. Who insisted on staying in Isaac Cline's house, believing it to be capable of withstanding the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
2. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
3. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
4. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
5. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
6. What "hideous things" does the author describe happening across Galveston in Part IV: Cataclysm?
7. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
8. What did Isaac and Joseph Cline argue about as the storm hit?
9. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
10. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)