|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people took shelter in Judson Palmer's house in Part IV: Cataclysm?
2. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
(a) A full evacuation.
(b) Hurricane warning flags.
(c) No evacuation.
(d) Building walls of sandbags.
3. By the end of the week after the storm, businesses were placing ads in the News assuring customers that they would not ______________.
(a) Be open on Sundays.
(b) Sell expired goods.
(c) Charge tax.
(d) Inflate prices.
4. Who was eight months pregnant and saw her house collapse on her husband and three-year-old son?
(a) Mrs. Grimes.
(b) Mrs. Englund.
(c) Mrs. Heideman.
(d) Mrs. Thompson.
5. Where was Dr. Sam Young's located?
(a) Smith and Vine.
(b) Bath and P ½..
(c) East 65th St.
(d) The West End.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the storm, Anthony Credo learned that he had lost a total of how many family members?
2. Isaac Cline and which neighbor were on the beach at dawn on Saturday as the storm rolled in?
3. What sixteen-year-old was washed to the mainland and was given up for dead but reappeared a week later in Part V: Strange News?
4. It was estimated that at the height of the storm, the barometric pressure fell to __________.
5. The manager of the phone company was finally able to get Joseph Cline in touch with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the experiences of John Blagden when the storm hit? Where was Blagden?
2. How was the surge of flooding described in Part IV: Cataclysm? How much did the water rise and in what amount of time?
3. Who was Colonel William Sterett? Why was he traveling to Galveston?
4. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
5. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
6. What was the setting like when Colonel William Sterett's train became stalled? What did the passengers do?
7. Who was at fault for the inaccurate forecasting by the US Weather Bureau?
8. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
9. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
10. What did Isaac Cline note about the waves in the morning of September 8?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)