|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Isaac see sitting on every available object when he reached home?
2. The passengers of the Beaumont, Texas, train who survived took refuge at what location?
(a) The Cowboy Saloon.
(b) The Bolivar Lighthouse.
(c) A church.
(d) A barber shop.
3. August Rollfing hired a driver and buggy with orders to pick up his wife and children and take them to his mother's house where in Part IV: Cataclysm?
(c) The North End.
(d) The West End.
4. At one point the water rushed in Dr. Young's second story window which was how many feet above the street?
5. When a train from Houston to Galveston became stalled, a team of men buried how many corpses found during the afternoon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the letter that Willis Moore wrote defending the forecasting conducted by the Weather Bureau published?
2. By what date does the author write that the streets of Galveston were cleaned, there were no pyres, the decomposition odor had lifted and new construction was everywhere?
3. Isaac wrote an urgent cable to Willis Moore telling him of the terrible situation and gave the message to whom to deliver?
4. Who was eight months pregnant and saw her house collapse on her husband and three-year-old son?
5. The first floor of Dr. Young's house was in how many feet of water before it was hit by a large object?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened following the attempts by Galveston to bury the dead at sea?
2. Where was August Rollfing headed in the beginning of Part IV: Cataclysm? Where was his family?
3. How does the author describe Rabbi Cohen's experiences of the storm?
4. What did Isaac Cline find when he visited his office? How is this setting described?
5. How does the author describe the plight of Captain Simmons as he fought the storm?
6. What lists appeared in the Galveston News following the storm? How are they described?
7. How is the setting of Judson Palmer's home described? Who took refuge there?
8. How did the passengers of the Galveston-Houston train escape?
9. What did the Weather Bureau refer to the storm as, despite Isaac's warnings in Part III: Spectacle? Who did Isaac go to warn locally?
10. What led to the entrapment of the Galveston-Houston train?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)