|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Wednesday, the Weather Bureau was predicting that the storm would move north and land in New England by what day?
2. In Galveston on September 6th, Joseph Cline made his weather observations at what time?
(a) 4:30 a.m.
(b) 7:00 a.m.
(c) 7:45 p.m.
(d) 2:15 p.m.
3. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, the author writes that the big storm entered the Caribbean on what date?
(a) May12, 1901.
(b) July 18, 1898.
(c) October 1, 1899.
(d) August 31, 1900.
4. Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in what year?
5. What was the name of the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps who was arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
(a) William Redfield.
(b) Willis Moore.
(c) Ruby Credo.
(d) Henry Howgate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physicist improved upon Galileo's device and created the first barometer?
2. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
3. Captain Simmons ordered his crew to head for the channel at the east end of _____________.
4. Isaac Cline's new house was located how many blocks north of the Gulf?
5. What sportswriter in New Jersey does the author discuss in Introduction: The Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
2. What concerned Isaac about the weather on the night of September 7, 1900?
3. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. What invention was key to the development of the Weather Bureau according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms? How was Isaac Cline affected by the invention?
5. When did the storm that hit Galveston enter the Caribbean, according to the author in Part II: the Serpent's Coil? What conditions led it to grow there?
6. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
7. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
8. What had Isaac Cline considered as a profession before going into weather?
9. What conditions made the storm that hit Galveston form and grow?
10. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)