|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
2. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, Isaac walked to the beach and noted the arrival of a large British steamship called _____________.
(a) The Roma.
(b) Englands Majesty.
(c) The King Charles II.
(d) The Queen Mary III.
3. In November 1703, the coast of England was hit by a series of powerful storms, killing more than how many seamen?
4. The invention of the __________ was key to the development and effectiveness of the Weather Bureau allowing for the rapid transmission of weather forecasts from city to city.
5. What bison hunter and showman does the author describe performing in the Wild West in Introduction: The Beach?
(a) Teddy Roosevelt.
(b) Henry Piddington.
(c) Buffalo Bill Cody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isaac Cline arrived in Washington, DC to study at the US Signal Corps on what date?
2. In what year had Isaac been assigned to open the Texas Section of the new US Weather Bureau?
3. In what year did Louisa Rollfing marry her husband?
4. Where was Louisa Rollfing originally from?
5. In what year was Isaac Cline born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the weather readings tell Isaac Cline on the morning of September 8, 1900? How did Isaac feel about the situation?
2. What geographical and social elements set up the city of Galveston for major casualties in the event of a hurricane in 1900?
3. How does the author describe Joseph Cline's weather observations on September 6, 1900?
4. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
5. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
6. How did Isaac Cline recall his childhood in Part I: The Law of Storms? Where did he grow up?
7. What had led to the schism between Cuban and US meteorologists?
8. How did the actions of the Weather Bureau affect sea captains such as T.P. Halsey?
9. Whom did Isaac Cline contact on the morning of September 8, 1900? Why?
10. What were the predictions by the US Weather Bureau for the storm when it hit Florida?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)