|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In August of what year did Columbus' ships sail on smooth waters under blue skies when an observer sounded the alarm after sighting huge swells just ahead, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
2. What refers to the study of weather conditions averaged over a period of time?
3. What was the warmest month on record from the upper Mississippi Valley to the Ohio Valley?
(a) September, 1899.
(b) July, 1904.
(c) June, 1897.
(d) August, 1900.
4. In Part I: The Law of Storms, the author writes that the storm began gathering over the African highlands east of _____________.
5. On September 4, 1900 what knocked out the city of Galveston's power and threw all the government buildings into darkness?
(a) A dust storm.
(b) A tornado.
(d) An earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. On September 1, 1900, the Rollfing family made their last payment on what?
2. Going back to the third century BC, who noted that "air" had substance, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
3. Who wrote Perils of a Restless Planet?
4. The author writes that low pressure lingered over ___________, and the air was heavy with moisture, causing trillions of water molecules to heat up.
5. Where was Isaac Cline born?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, for what reason do some tropical disturbances cross the Atlantic, but others do not?
2. How does the author describe the plight of Captain J.W. Simmons? Where was Simmons located?
3. Where did the storm that hit Galveston begin forming? What were atmospheric pressure conditions like in the US at this time?
4. How does the author describe the weather events in Galveston on September 4, 1900? What did Isaac Cline note about the weather?
5. What experiences with hurricanes did Christopher Columbus encounter, according to the author?
6. How does the author introduce Isaac Cline in Introduction: The Beach? What led to Cline's training at the US Signal Corps?
7. How does the author describe the summer of 1900 in terms of weather in Introduction: The Beach? How is the setting of Galveston described during this time period?
8. What recent scandal was Isaac Cline unaware of within the Signal Corps when he entered training in Part I: The Law of Storms?
9. How does the author describe the "August wave" in Part I: The Law of Storms?
10. How were the Midwest and Gulf of Mexico affected by the heat wave described in Part I: The Law of Storms?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)