|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did a train from Houston to Galveston become stalled?
(a) Roswell, New Mexico.
(b) Texas City, Texas.
(c) Austin, Texas.
(d) Tulsa, Oklahoma.
2. When Isaac finally reached home in Part III: Spectacle, his yard was already how deep in water?
(a) Eight inches.
(b) Two feet.
(c) Chest deep.
(d) Neck deep.
3. Isaac was bothered the most by Willis Moore's statement in the letter that Galveston had received warnings and that Isaac's office had ordered _______________.
(a) Hurricane warning flags.
(b) No evacuation.
(c) A full evacuation.
(d) Building walls of sandbags.
4. At one point the water rushed in Dr. Young's second story window which was how many feet above the street?
5. The wind was measured at what speed from the Galveston weather station in Part IV: Cataclysm?
(a) 160 mph.
(b) 110 mph.
(c) 135 mph.
(d) 95 mph.
6. How many people took shelter in Judson Palmer's house in Part IV: Cataclysm?
7. Where was Dr. Sam Young's located?
(a) East 65th St.
(b) The West End.
(c) Smith and Vine.
(d) Bath and P ½..
8. What sixteen-year-old was washed to the mainland and was given up for dead but reappeared a week later in Part V: Strange News?
(a) Anna Delz.
(b) Emily Anniston.
(c) Rebecca Nordstrom.
(d) Harriet Jacobs.
9. Isaac visited some merchants whom he told to raise their products how high off the floor because there could be some minor flooding?
(a) 1 foot.
(b) 10 inches.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 3 feet.
10. By what date does the author write that the streets of Galveston were cleaned, there were no pyres, the decomposition odor had lifted and new construction was everywhere?
(a) September 5, 1902.
(b) December 31, 1900.
(c) March 20, 1903.
(d) January 19, 1904.
11. Who insisted that the family evacuate Isaac Cline's house because it was too dangerous in Part III: Spectacle?
(a) Cora Cline.
(b) Laura Cline.
(c) Isaac Cline.
(d) Joseph Cline.
12. What humanitarian arrived to help and sent a message that the situation had not been exaggerated?
(a) Clara Barton.
(b) Anna Delz.
(c) Henry Piddington.
(d) Teddy Roosevelt.
13. When Isaac returned to work the week after the storm, the instruments in his office were still out, and he was forced to communicate by what means to the Houston station?
(b) Messanger pigeon.
14. For how many hours did Dr. Young stay on his raft until he was rescued in Part IV: Cataclysm?
15. The storm's track hit Galveston at a 90 degree angle with its eye passing how many miles west of the city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insisted on staying in Isaac Cline's house, believing it to be capable of withstanding the storm?
2. By evening, Judson Palmer estimated that the water in his yard was how deep?
3. Isaac wrote an urgent cable to Willis Moore telling him of the terrible situation and gave the message to whom to deliver?
4. The manager of the phone company was finally able to get Joseph Cline in touch with whom?
5. When a train from Houston to Galveston became stalled, a team of men buried how many corpses found during the afternoon?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)