|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Captain Simmons's first officer felt they were in a confluence of storms--a hurricane from the east and a gale from what direction?
2. Where was the letter that Willis Moore wrote defending the forecasting conducted by the Weather Bureau published?
(a) The Houston Post.
(b) The San Francisco Chronicle.
(c) The Denver Post.
(d) The New York Times.
3. When a train from Houston to Galveston became stalled, a team of men buried how many corpses found during the afternoon?
4. Who was eight months pregnant and saw her house collapse on her husband and three-year-old son?
(a) Mrs. Heideman.
(b) Mrs. Thompson.
(c) Mrs. Englund.
(d) Mrs. Grimes.
5. What sixteen-year-old was washed to the mainland and was given up for dead but reappeared a week later in Part V: Strange News?
(a) Anna Delz.
(b) Emily Anniston.
(c) Harriet Jacobs.
(d) Rebecca Nordstrom.
6. Who was the engineer of the Galveston-Houston train that became trapped in Part III: Spectacle?
(a) Edmund Halley.
(b) A. V. Kellogg.
(c) Ernest Zebrowski.
(d) William Redfield.
7. When Isaac returned to work the week after the storm, the instruments in his office were still out, and he was forced to communicate by what means to the Houston station?
(b) Messanger pigeon.
8. The first floor of Dr. Young's house was in how many feet of water before it was hit by a large object?
9. How many people took shelter in Judson Palmer's house in Part IV: Cataclysm?
10. At one point the water rushed in Dr. Young's second story window which was how many feet above the street?
11. Joseph attempted to phone to Washington, but the telephone operator wouldn't put him through because there were how many people ahead of him waiting to place calls?
12. Isaac visited the Levy Building and looked out over the vista where he could see that the spot that ____________ had once stood was now just all white beach.
(a) The Houston Post.
(b) The Bolivar Lighthouse.
(c) St. Mary's Orphanage.
(d) The Giles Mercantile Agency.
13. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
(a) Henry Cohen.
(b) Matthew Cohen.
(c) Matthew Lithburg.
(d) Rodney Maher.
14. The building which housed the Galveston weather station was how many stories high?
15. Bodies continued to emerge from the wreckage at an average of how many per day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Isaac's alarm, his office still downplayed the potential severity of the storm, referring to it by what name?
2. Who insisted that the family evacuate Isaac Cline's house because it was too dangerous in Part III: Spectacle?
3. In Part IV: Cataclysm, a telegram was sent from the weather station where to the Chief of the US Weather Bureau in Washington, DC, informing him that they had lost all contact with the Galveston office?
4. What humanitarian arrived to help and sent a message that the situation had not been exaggerated?
5. It was estimated that at the height of the storm, the barometric pressure fell to __________.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)