|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physicist improved upon Galileo's device and created the first barometer?
(a) Chauncey Depew.
(b) Ernest Zebrowski.
(c) Edmund Halley.
(d) Evangelista Torricelli.
2. What concept was put forth in Perils of a Restless Planet?
(d) Nonlinear dynamics.
3. Where was Louisa Rollfing originally from?
4. According to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms, the first official notation of the storm was made by a Captain in his log on what date?
(a) September 20, 1902.
(b) June 18, 1901.
(c) July 4, 1899.
(d) August 27, 1900.
5. The invention of the __________ was key to the development and effectiveness of the Weather Bureau allowing for the rapid transmission of weather forecasts from city to city.
6. Who was the founder and first President of American Association for the Advancement of Science?
(a) William Redfield.
(b) Edmund Halley.
(c) Dean Bruner.
(d) Henry Howgate.
7. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
(a) Joseph Cline.
(b) Robert Cline.
(c) Matthew Cline.
(d) William Cline.
8. Going back to the third century BC, who noted that "air" had substance, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Byzantines.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Egyptians.
9. What term refers to a wind that blows with the direction of travel?
(b) Nonlinear dynamics.
10. After his meteorology training with the US Army Signal Corps, Isaac Cline was first assigned to what location?
(a) Omaha, Nebraska.
(b) Topeka, Kansas.
(c) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(d) Tulsa, Oklahoma.
11. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
12. How far from Galveston was the hurricane when Joseph Cline made his weather observations on September 6th?
(a) 800 miles.
(b) 550 miles.
(c) 200 miles.
(d) 475 miles.
13. What was the name of the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps who was arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
(a) Henry Howgate.
(b) Ruby Credo.
(c) William Redfield.
(d) Willis Moore.
14. At the turn of the century, Galveston was a cosmopolitan boom town, poised to take on the same status as New Orleans or ___________, according to the author in Introduction: The Beach.
(b) San Francisco.
15. Where did Isaac Cline first meet his wife?
(a) Aurora, Illinois.
(b) Albany, New York.
(c) Anchorage, Alaska.
(d) Abilene, Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the names of Isaac Cline's parents?
2. Captain Simmons ordered his crew to head for the channel at the east end of _____________.
3. What politician wrote that Americans felt "four hundred percent bigger" than the year before in 1900?
4. As Captain Halsey continued on his journey in Part II: the Serpent's Coil, he estimated the wind at what speed when he had probably neared the heart of the storm?
5. The fact that Isaac Cline paid cash for goods and services was published in a directory by what company?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)