|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year had Isaac been assigned to open the Texas Section of the new US Weather Bureau?
2. What General of the US Signal Corps wanted to staff his department with the best in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) T. P. Halsey.
(b) J. W. Simmons.
(c) William Sterett.
(d) William B. Hazen.
3. In November 1703, the coast of England was hit by a series of powerful storms, killing more than how many seamen?
4. What physicist improved upon Galileo's device and created the first barometer?
(a) Evangelista Torricelli.
(b) Chauncey Depew.
(c) Ernest Zebrowski.
(d) Edmund Halley.
5. Captain Simmons ordered his crew to head for the channel at the east end of _____________.
(a) The Rio Grande.
(b) Galveston Island.
(d) The Texas panhandle.
6. What concept was put forth in Perils of a Restless Planet?
(d) Nonlinear dynamics.
7. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War end?
8. The author writes that low pressure lingered over ___________, and the air was heavy with moisture, causing trillions of water molecules to heat up.
9. Isaac Cline arrived in Washington, DC to study at the US Signal Corps on what date?
(a) July 6, 1882.
(b) October 11, 1887.
(c) April 2, 1894.
(d) July 25, 1885.
10. What was a nationalist movement by the "Righteous Harmony Society" in China between 1898 and 1901?
(a) The Bamboo Storm.
(b) The Boxer Rebellion.
(c) The Panda Movement.
(d) The Samurai Revolution.
11. Where did Isaac Cline first meet his wife?
(a) Anchorage, Alaska.
(b) Aurora, Illinois.
(c) Albany, New York.
(d) Abilene, Texas.
12. What term refers to a wind that blows with the direction of travel?
(c) Nonlinear dynamics.
13. The narrative of Introduction: The Beach states that on the night of what date did Isaac Monroe Cline have an inexplicable feeling of foreboding?
(a) January 22, 1894.
(b) September 7, 1900.
(c) May 16, 1898.
(d) March 1, 1911.
14. What tamale vendor had an asterisk by his name, indicating he was an untrustworthy businessman in Galveston records, according to the author in Introduction: The Beach?
(a) Bat Masterson.
(b) Joe Amando.
(c) Henry Piddington.
(d) Ernest Zebrowski.
15. In what year did Louisa Rollfing marry her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Christopher Columbus was commissioned to lead a fleet on a voyage where in 1502?
2. On Wednesday, the Weather Bureau was predicting that the storm would move north and land in New England by what day?
3. How many daughters did Isaac Cline have in 1900?
4. What was the maiden name of Isaac Cline's wife?
5. What were the names of Isaac Cline's parents?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)