|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fact that Isaac Cline paid cash for goods and services was published in a directory by what company?
(a) The Giles Mercantile Agency.
(b) The Smithwick Textile Corporation.
(c) Jameson's Shoe Company.
(d) The Bolivar Lighthouse Association.
2. Who was an English-Indian scientist and merchant captain who coined the name cyclone for tropical storms?
(a) Henry Piddington.
(b) John Blagden.
(c) William Dampier.
(d) Chauncey Depew.
3. Isaac Cline's new house was located how many blocks north of the Gulf?
4. Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast in what year?
5. Who wrote Perils of a Restless Planet?
(a) Ernest Zebrowski.
(b) Henry Piddington.
(c) Chauncey Depew.
(d) Joe Amando.
6. What tamale vendor had an asterisk by his name, indicating he was an untrustworthy businessman in Galveston records, according to the author in Introduction: The Beach?
(a) Henry Piddington.
(b) Ernest Zebrowski.
(c) Joe Amando.
(d) Bat Masterson.
7. Where did Isaac Cline earn his Doctor of Medicine degree?
(a) The University of Arkansas.
(b) The University of Virginia.
(c) The University of Montana.
(d) The University of Alaska.
8. What was the name of Louisa Rollfing's daughter?
9. What Founding Father kept a lifelong weather journal, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Adams.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
10. Isaac Cline had considered becoming what before he was invited to study climatology?
(b) Animal trainer.
(d) Park ranger.
11. According to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms, the first official notation of the storm was made by a Captain in his log on what date?
(a) July 4, 1899.
(b) September 20, 1902.
(c) August 27, 1900.
(d) June 18, 1901.
12. In August of what year did Columbus' ships sail on smooth waters under blue skies when an observer sounded the alarm after sighting huge swells just ahead, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
13. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
(a) Joseph Cline.
(b) Robert Cline.
(c) William Cline.
(d) Matthew Cline.
14. After his meteorology training with the US Army Signal Corps, Isaac Cline was first assigned to what location?
(a) Topeka, Kansas.
(b) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(c) Omaha, Nebraska.
(d) Tulsa, Oklahoma.
15. What refers to the study of weather conditions averaged over a period of time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Englishman studied the significance of the colors of the skies just prior to a storm?
2. In 1900, Galveston was the biggest port for what product in the United States?
3. What was a nationalist movement by the "Righteous Harmony Society" in China between 1898 and 1901?
4. What school dean recommended Isaac Cline to study at the US Signal Corps?
5. In Part I: The Law of Storms, the author writes that the storm began gathering over the African highlands east of _____________.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)