|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
(a) Matthew Cline.
(b) Joseph Cline.
(c) Robert Cline.
(d) William Cline.
2. On Wednesday, the Weather Bureau was predicting that the storm would move north and land in New England by what day?
3. Going back to the third century BC, who noted that "air" had substance, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Byzantines.
(d) The Greeks.
4. What Englishman studied the significance of the colors of the skies just prior to a storm?
(a) J. W. Simmons.
(b) William Redfield.
(c) William Dampier.
(d) Henry Howgate.
5. What was the name of Louisa Rollfing's husband?
6. What college did Isaac Cline attend?
(a) Menominee College.
(b) Hiwassee College.
(c) Tulane College.
(d) Savannah College.
7. What refers to the study of weather conditions averaged over a period of time?
8. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, Isaac walked to the beach and noted the arrival of a large British steamship called _____________.
(a) The King Charles II.
(b) The Queen Mary III.
(c) The Roma.
(d) Englands Majesty.
9. Captain Simmons ordered his crew to head for the channel at the east end of _____________.
(b) Galveston Island.
(c) The Texas panhandle.
(d) The Rio Grande.
10. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, the author writes that the big storm entered the Caribbean on what date?
(a) July 18, 1898.
(b) May12, 1901.
(c) October 1, 1899.
(d) August 31, 1900.
11. What Founding Father kept a lifelong weather journal, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) John Adams.
12. Who was assigned as a new bureau forecast official for Havana?
(a) Ernest Zebrowski.
(b) Henry Piddington.
(c) William B. Stockman.
(d) Matthew Fontaine Maury.
13. What term refers to a wind that blows against the direction of travel?
(c) Nonlinear dynamics.
14. Who was the founder and first President of American Association for the Advancement of Science?
(a) Edmund Halley.
(b) Dean Bruner.
(c) Henry Howgate.
(d) William Redfield.
15. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept was put forth in Perils of a Restless Planet?
2. In Introduction: The Beach, Isaac had warnings from the central Weather Bureau that what location had been battered by a severe tropical storm?
3. After his meteorology training with the US Army Signal Corps, Isaac Cline was first assigned to what location?
4. As Captain Halsey continued on his journey in Part II: the Serpent's Coil, he estimated the wind at what speed when he had probably neared the heart of the storm?
5. In what year was the chief financial manager of the Signal Corps arrested for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)