|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part V: Strange News.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Isaac Cline arrived in Washington, DC to study at the US Signal Corps on what date?
(a) April 2, 1894.
(b) July 25, 1885.
(c) October 11, 1887.
(d) July 6, 1882.
2. What were dispatched around town collecting bodies?
(a) "Cadaver Collectors."
(b) "Corpse Wranglers."
(c) "Dead Gangs."
(d) "Body Bandits."
3. In Part IV: Cataclysm, a telegram was sent from the weather station where to the Chief of the US Weather Bureau in Washington, DC, informing him that they had lost all contact with the Galveston office?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) Phoenix, Arizona.
(d) St. Louis, Missouri.
4. What term refers to a wind that blows with the direction of travel?
(c) Nonlinear dynamics.
5. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part II: the Serpent's Coil, the Thursday morning weather map did not show temperatures for Key West. Instead, what letter was inserted?
2. The morning after the storm passed, the house where Isaac and his daughters had found shelter in was at what location?
3. The building which housed the Galveston weather station was how many stories high?
4. The invention of the __________ was key to the development and effectiveness of the Weather Bureau allowing for the rapid transmission of weather forecasts from city to city.
5. In August of what year did Columbus' ships sail on smooth waters under blue skies when an observer sounded the alarm after sighting huge swells just ahead, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)