|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Cataclysm.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The storm's track hit Galveston at a 90 degree angle with its eye passing how many miles west of the city?
2. The narrative of Introduction: The Beach states that on the night of what date did Isaac Monroe Cline have an inexplicable feeling of foreboding?
(a) March 1, 1911.
(b) September 7, 1900.
(c) January 22, 1894.
(d) May 16, 1898.
3. In Part I: The Law of Storms, the author writes that the storm began gathering over the African highlands east of _____________.
4. The train coming from Beaumont, Texas, into Galveston during the storm was traveling along the flooded tracks of what?
(a) The Bolivar Peninsula.
(b) The Amarillo causeway.
(c) Lone Star Ridge.
(d) The Texas panhandle.
5. What physicist improved upon Galileo's device and created the first barometer?
(a) Edmund Halley.
(b) Ernest Zebrowski.
(c) Chauncey Depew.
(d) Evangelista Torricelli.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christopher Columbus was commissioned to lead a fleet on a voyage where in 1502?
2. The manager of the phone company was finally able to get Joseph Cline in touch with whom?
3. What refers to a wireless solar telegraph that signals by flashes of sunlight reflected by a mirror?
4. On September 1, 1900, the Rollfing family made their last payment on what?
5. Just prior to the storm, there was a heat wave in the United States in which how many people died?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)