|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: The Law of Storms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a wind that blows against the direction of travel?
(a) Nonlinear dynamics.
2. The narrative of Introduction: The Beach states that on the night of what date did Isaac Monroe Cline have an inexplicable feeling of foreboding?
(a) September 7, 1900.
(b) March 1, 1911.
(c) January 22, 1894.
(d) May 16, 1898.
3. In August of what year did Columbus' ships sail on smooth waters under blue skies when an observer sounded the alarm after sighting huge swells just ahead, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
4. What were the names of Isaac Cline's parents?
(a) Bradley and Susan Cline.
(b) Thomas and Betsy Cline.
(c) Matthew and Harriet Cline.
(d) Jacob and Mary Cline.
5. What was the name of Isaac Cline's younger brother who lived with his family and worked for the weather service as an observer?
(a) Robert Cline.
(b) Matthew Cline.
(c) William Cline.
(d) Joseph Cline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters did Isaac Cline have in 1900?
2. What was the name of the captain who commanded the "Pensacola"?
3. What city suffered from twelve consecutive days of 90 degree temperatures or above, prior to the hurricane that hit Galveston?
4. What refers to the study of weather conditions averaged over a period of time?
5. What General of the US Signal Corps wanted to staff his department with the best in Part I: The Law of Storms?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)