|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part V: Strange News.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Galveston's highest point was how many feet above sea level in 1900?
2. The train coming from Beaumont, Texas, into Galveston during the storm was traveling along the flooded tracks of what?
(a) The Bolivar Peninsula.
(b) The Amarillo causeway.
(c) Lone Star Ridge.
(d) The Texas panhandle.
3. Who was an English-Indian scientist and merchant captain who coined the name cyclone for tropical storms?
(a) Chauncey Depew.
(b) William Dampier.
(c) John Blagden.
(d) Henry Piddington.
4. The invention of the __________ was key to the development and effectiveness of the Weather Bureau allowing for the rapid transmission of weather forecasts from city to city.
5. Who was assigned as a new bureau forecast official for Havana?
(a) Henry Piddington.
(b) William B. Stockman.
(c) Matthew Fontaine Maury.
(d) Ernest Zebrowski.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that low pressure lingered over ___________, and the air was heavy with moisture, causing trillions of water molecules to heat up.
2. What did Isaac do with his wife's engagement ring after it was recovered from the wreckage?
3. The storm's track hit Galveston at a 90 degree angle with its eye passing how many miles west of the city?
4. Cuban forecasters indicated that they had correctly predicted that the storm would not __________.
5. When did the Second Anglo-Boer War end?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)