|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part V: Strange News.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In November 1703, the coast of England was hit by a series of powerful storms, killing more than how many seamen?
2. Just prior to the storm, there was a heat wave in the United States in which how many people died?
3. What rabbi was shocked to see all the people walking away from the beach and carrying personal items with them in Part III: Spectacle?
(a) Matthew Lithburg.
(b) Matthew Cohen.
(c) Henry Cohen.
(d) Rodney Maher.
4. Who was an English-Indian scientist and merchant captain who coined the name cyclone for tropical storms?
(a) Chauncey Depew.
(b) Henry Piddington.
(c) John Blagden.
(d) William Dampier.
5. How many daughters did Isaac Cline have in 1900?
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Isaac's alarm, his office still downplayed the potential severity of the storm, referring to it by what name?
2. In the early evening, Dr. Young could only see one house in the area that was still standing. It belonged to whom?
3. The sequence that consisted of dry air, blue skies, and fair conditions changed to dominating high clouds and gray skies. Eventually, dark skies and a lower cloud ceiling were known as the _____________.
4. Captain Simmons ordered his crew to head for the channel at the east end of _____________.
5. By evening, Judson Palmer estimated that the water in his yard was how deep?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)