|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: The Law of Storms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bison hunter and showman does the author describe performing in the Wild West in Introduction: The Beach?
(a) Buffalo Bill Cody.
(c) Teddy Roosevelt.
(d) Henry Piddington.
2. Going back to the third century BC, who noted that "air" had substance, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Byzantines.
(c) The Egyptians.
(d) The Romans.
3. The narrative of Introduction: The Beach states that on the night of what date did Isaac Monroe Cline have an inexplicable feeling of foreboding?
(a) January 22, 1894.
(b) March 1, 1911.
(c) May 16, 1898.
(d) September 7, 1900.
4. What term refers to a wind that blows with the direction of travel?
(d) Nonlinear dynamics.
5. In what year did Isaac Cline join the meteorology training program of the US Army Signal Corps?
Short Answer Questions
1. Christopher Columbus was commissioned to lead a fleet on a voyage where in 1502?
2. The invention of the __________ was key to the development and effectiveness of the Weather Bureau allowing for the rapid transmission of weather forecasts from city to city.
3. What was the name of the captain who commanded the "Pensacola"?
4. Who proved that air had mass, according to the author in Part I: The Law of Storms?
5. Isaac Cline arrived in Washington, DC to study at the US Signal Corps on what date?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)