|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Helen light a candle when she goes to church?
2. What does Helen say she is a symbol of?
3. How does Helen prefer to think of her sins?
4. How does Katrina characterize her relationship with Catholicism?
5. What does the narrator say the clouds resemble, when Francis is standing in the junkyard doorway?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Francis characterize the difference between Annie’s kiss and Katrina’s?
2. What does Francis buy from Rosskam, and what is its significance?
3. Describe Rosskam and his environment.
4. Describe Helen’s relationship with Arthur.
5. What memories does Rosskam’s sex talk evoke for Francis?
6. Why does Helen say that she and Francis could not marry?
7. How do Francis’ kids react to seeing him?
8. Describe the vision Francis sees at Colonie Street.
9. How does Helen feel about her life, when she is summing it up as she dies?
10. Who was Katrina Daugherty and what was her role in Francis’ life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
How would Ironweed be different if it were told from a woman’s point of view? How would Annie, or Helen or Clara or Sandra change the nature of the book, and reveal the world of bums that Francis Phelan lives in?
Essay Topic 3
Is Francis a hero or an anti-hero? Where does Francis fit in the continuum of other characters in literature? Compare and contrast Francis’ character with two other main characters in American literature.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)