|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Annie give Francis, for why she never said anything about him dropping Gerald?
2. What is Francis’ response to Katrina’s scar?
3. Why does Francis say he never committed suicide?
4. The narrator says that even as Francis felt rich, he felt what other feeling?
5. What food does Katrina serve to Francis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Francis buy from Rosskam, and what is its significance?
2. Who was Katrina Daugherty and what was her role in Francis’ life?
3. How did Helen’s father’s death change her life?
4. How is Helen’s death different from other deaths in Ironweed?
5. How does the narrative change in Chapter 5?
6. What does Rosskam tell Francis about his sex life?
7. Describe the vision Francis sees at Colonie Street.
8. What peace does Francis establish with the ghosts who have been following him?
9. What memories does Rosskam’s sex talk evoke for Francis?
10. How do Francis’ kids react to seeing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
The American novel is typically centered on a character who believes in a fundamental innocence, and goes into the world to have experiences and find him or herself—but Ironweed is centered on Francis’ guilt over any number of things. How does Ironweed fit in the American canon?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Francis’ baseball career play in Ironweed? Is the sport part of his bum lifestyle, or was it a period when he was something other than a bum? How does the novel reconcile Francis’ present life with the life he lived as a ball player?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)