|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Billy in trouble with the politicians?
(a) They thought he was rigging the card games he ran.
(b) They thought he was in cahoots with kidnappers.
(c) They thought he was stealing from them.
(d) They thought that he was getting his father to vote against them twenty times.
2. What year was Francis born in?
3. How does the narrator characterize the effect of Francis handling things from his previous life?
4. What does Francis say he wants from his visit to Annie in Chapter 6?
(a) A fresh start.
(c) Just money and wine.
(d) Just to see everyone.
5. Who is remembered on All Saints Day?
(a) Babies who died before they were christened.
(b) All the people who are named for saints.
(c) Martyrs who died for the church.
(d) People who have died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen’s grandmother tell her she would do if she loved something?
2. What does Francis say his mother tried to do to the neighbors’ property?
3. Who does Francis recognize in King Brady’s saloon?
4. How does the narrator characterize Helen after her relationship with Arthur ended?
5. What does Helen say motivated her through her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the vision Francis sees at Colonie Street.
2. How is Helen’s death different from other deaths in Ironweed?
3. What kind of peace does Francis make with Annie?
4. What does Francis buy from Rosskam, and what is its significance?
5. Why does Helen say that she and Francis could not marry?
6. Describe Helen’s relationship with Arthur.
7. Who was Katrina Daugherty and what was her role in Francis’ life?
8. How does Helen feel about her life, when she is summing it up as she dies?
9. What prompts Francis to get down from Rosskam’s wagon and quit for the day?
10. What deal do Francis and Rosskam strike regarding Francis’ pay for the day?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)