|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Francis say was his mother’s attitude toward sex?
2. How did Francis become close to Katrina Daugherty?
(a) He painted her house, and did odd jobs.
(b) He pushed her out of the way of a trolley.
(c) He prevented her from going out of her house naked.
(d) He worked for her for years, admiring her from a distance.
3. How did Helen’s father die?
(a) Jumped off a bridge.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) Train wreck.
4. What reason does Helen give, for abdicating from life?
(a) For illness.
(b) For lack of curiosity.
(c) For exhaustion.
(d) For love.
5. What are the dead folks building in Annie’s back yard, when Francis visits?
(a) A shed.
(b) A mausoleum.
(c) A grave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What momentous event took place at Kibbee’s lumberyard?
2. How does Rosskam demonstrate his strength?
3. What pitch does Francis teach Daniel to throw?
4. The narrator says that even as Francis felt rich, he felt what other feeling?
5. What literary term describes the jump back to an earlier time at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Francis to get down from Rosskam’s wagon and quit for the day?
2. Describe Helen’s relationship with Arthur.
3. How does Helen feel about her life, when she is summing it up as she dies?
4. How is Helen’s death different from other deaths in Ironweed?
5. How do Francis’ kids react to seeing him?
6. Describe Annie’s greeting when Francis arrives at her house.
7. How did Helen’s father’s death change her life?
8. Who was Katrina Daugherty and what was her role in Francis’ life?
9. What peace does Francis establish with the ghosts who have been following him?
10. Why is Helen angry with Francis, when she thinks about him in the hotel?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)