|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis characterize his mother?
(a) She died when she had sex.
(b) She had been dead all her life.
(c) She only came to life when she was married.
(d) She was always being killed.
2. What year was Francis born in?
3. How does Francis characterize his ability to atone for the past?
(a) He says that he can’t bring himself to apologize.
(b) He says that his life itself is guilt, now.
(c) He says that the only apology would be to kill himself.
(d) He says that nothing he says means anything.
4. What is Francis’ response to Katrina’s scar?
(a) He loathes it.
(b) He is blind to it.
(c) He is fascinated by it.
(d) He accepts it.
5. How did Katrina die?
(a) An accident.
(d) In a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that even as Francis felt rich, he felt what other feeling?
2. How did Helen find out that her mother had betrayed her?
3. What explanation does Annie give Francis, for why she never said anything about him dropping Gerald?
4. What does Katrina ask Francis about her scar?
5. How does the narrator characterize Helen after her relationship with Arthur ended?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Francis describe having met Helen when he was younger?
2. Describe Helen’s relationship with Arthur.
3. What does Francis buy from Rosskam, and what is its significance?
4. How does Francis characterize the difference between Annie’s kiss and Katrina’s?
5. How do Francis’ kids react to seeing him?
6. What was Francis’ mother’s relationship with Katrina Daugherty like?
7. Describe Annie’s greeting when Francis arrives at her house.
8. How did Helen’s mother and brother cheat her?
9. How is Helen’s death different from other deaths in Ironweed?
10. What does Rosskam tell Francis about his sex life?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)