|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rudy tell Francis the doctor diagnosed him with?
(c) Heart trouble.
2. Where does Rudy say Sandra came from?
(c) New Jersey.
3. What image does the narrator say Helen presents to the audience at the Gilded Cage?
(a) A life hard-lived.
(b) Age and wisdom.
(c) A monument to human endurance.
(d) Womanly disaster.
4. What is Francis’ reaction when Rudy tells him he is frivolous?
(a) He insults Rudy genially.
(b) He clowns around.
(c) He retreats into enigmatic silence.
(d) He gets angry.
5. What role had Dick Doolan played in Francis’ life?
(a) He was killed when Francis hit him with a stone.
(b) He played baseball with Francis.
(c) He tried to cut off Francis’ feet.
(d) He was the one who took Francis in when Francis was running from the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dante’s epigraph from?
2. What does Helen lose on her way back to the Mission?
3. What kind of establishment is The Gilded Cage?
4. Where did Francis tell the intern in Indiana his fingertip was?
5. How do Francis and Rudy characterize themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Francis and Rudy.
2. What does Francis’ conversation with Rudy tell us about his relationship with Helen?
3. How did Francis end up killing Harold Allen?
4. Describe the brotherhood Francis and Rudy share.
5. What is the message of the song Helen sings to Francis?
6. Describe the environment of the Gilded Cage.
7. What is Rowdy Dick Doolan’s role in Francis’ story?
8. What is the importance of Halloween in the book’s setting?
9. Describe Francis’ baseball career.
10. What effect is created by the author’s sophisticated vocabulary?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)