|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say came from Rowdy Dick Doolan’s head when Francis saw him in a vision?
(b) A glow.
2. What does Francis say about anything that “draws blood or breaks heads”?
(a) He regrets learning about it.
(b) He knows how it tastes.
(c) He has held it in his hand.
(d) He has seen it in action.
3. What does the narrator say is in short supply on Halloween night?
4. What do Francis and the others do with Sandra?
(a) Leave her in the cold.
(b) Move her body into the Mission.
(c) Take her to a flop.
(d) Call her an ambulance.
5. How does Francis characterize Clara?
(a) A good bum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Francis’ reaction when Rudy tells him he is frivolous?
2. What is the price Helen pays for sleeping where she does after leaving Clara's house?
3. What does the narrator say is the real basis of the kinship the young Phelan brothers feel with Francis?
4. In the epigraph, what does Dante leave behind by hoisting sail with his wit?
5. Who does Francis see enter the bathroom with him in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rowdy Dick Doolan’s role in Francis’ story?
2. When Helen says that she won’t go back to Finny’s car, she says that she might call her people. What is the irony in this?
3. Describe the brotherhood Francis and Rudy share.
4. Describe the relationship between Francis and Rudy.
5. How did Francis end up killing Harold Allen?
6. What does Francis say is the curve of Clara’s life?
7. How did Francis’ father die?
8. What does Jack say Francis could have if he got straight, and what is Francis’ response?
9. What is the message of the song Helen sings to Francis?
10. What kinship does Francis have with the Phelan brothers?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)