|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How familiar does Francis say trolleys are to him?
(a) He never rides them.
(b) He himself built the trolley he and Rudy ride.
(c) He used to know them well, but has forgotten.
(d) They are as familiar as his father’s face.
2. How does the narrator characterize Gerald’s eternal repose?
3. What urge does Francis have when he and Helen leave Jack and Clara’s?
(a) To sleep.
(b) To make love to Helen.
(c) To drink.
(d) To run.
4. Where does Helen sleep?
(a) The Mission.
(c) Finny’s car.
(d) A flop.
5. What does Rudy say his religion is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical debility does Reverend Chester have?
2. How long have Francis and Helen known each other?
3. Where does Francis say his mother probably is?
4. What is Francis Phelan’s father’s reaction to Francis’ arrival?
5. How does Francis characterize Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What expression does Francis use when something is finally and absolutely concluded?
2. What is Reverend Chester’s policy about drunks, and what effect does it have?
3. Describe the relationship between Francis and Rudy.
4. When Helen says that she won’t go back to Finny’s car, she says that she might call her people. What is the irony in this?
5. How did Francis end up killing Harold Allen?
6. What is the importance of Halloween in the book’s setting?
7. How did Francis end up with a job shoveling dirt at the cemetery?
8. How does the narrator describe Gerald’s body in the grave?
9. Where did Francis Phelan’s family lie in the pecking order of the cemetery?
10. How did Francis come to see Aldo Campione die?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)