|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the brotherhood that joins Francis and Rudy?
(a) It comes into being whenever Francis and Rudy drink together.
(b) They are the founding members.
(c) It has been passed down since the beginning of time.
(d) It has never existed.
2. Where does Rudy say Sandra came from?
(b) New Jersey.
3. How does the narrator say Daddy Big Dugan died?
(b) Inhaling his vomit.
(c) Jumped off a bridge.
(d) Old age.
4. Which of the seven deadly sins prompts Francis to get defensive?
5. How does Francis characterize Clara?
(c) A good bum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Francis and Helen known each other?
2. What urge does Francis have when he and Helen leave Jack and Clara’s?
3. What makes it possible for Francis and Rudy to eat at the Mission?
4. How familiar does Francis say trolleys are to him?
5. How did Aldo Campione die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What price does Helen pay for sleeping in Finny’s car?
2. How is Francis feeling at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is Rowdy Dick Doolan’s role in Francis’ story?
4. What misfortune besets Helen after she returns to the Mission with Francis and Rudy?
5. Describe the brotherhood Francis and Rudy share.
6. What does Jack say Francis could have if he got straight, and what is Francis’ response?
7. What effect is created by the author’s sophisticated vocabulary?
8. How did Francis’ father die?
9. What is the importance of Halloween in the book’s setting?
10. How did Francis come to see Aldo Campione die?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)