|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Helen plan to go after Vassar?
(a) New York.
2. How does Rosskam demonstrate his strength?
(a) By moving an anvil.
(b) By lifting his wagon.
(c) By lifting his horse.
(d) By lifting a barrel of metal.
3. How does Helen characterize her relationship with Arthur?
(a) He introduced her to herself.
(b) He squandered her wealth.
(c) He set her free.
(d) He kept her prisoner.
4. What does Helen say motivated her through her days?
(a) A will to redemption.
(b) A will to power.
(c) A will happiness.
(d) A will to grace.
5. What literary term describes the jump back to an earlier time at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(b) Non-linear narrative.
(d) A historical narrative.
6. In Chapter 6, how does the narrator characterize Francis’ emotions when he arrives at Annie’s house?
7. What does Francis protect Katrina Daugherty from?
(b) The neighbors.
(c) His mother.
8. How does the narrator characterize Rosskam?
(a) Severe and impatient.
(b) Pudgy and short.
(c) Tall and young.
(d) Filthy and broad-chested.
9. How does the narrator characterize Helen after her relationship with Arthur ended?
(a) A wasted legacy.
(b) A woman without a home.
(c) A bird migrating to nowhere.
(d) A windblown weed.
10. What desire does Francis say he feels when Rosskam tells him about the women he makes love to during his rounds?
(a) To make love with Helen.
(b) To feel desire as he felt it once.
(c) To run away.
(d) To smash Rosskam’s skull in.
11. How did Helen’s father die?
(b) He was murdered.
(c) Train wreck.
(d) Jumped off a bridge.
12. What is Helen humming when she wakes up in the morning and starts to walk?
(c) Te Deum.
13. How did Helen find out that her mother had betrayed her?
(a) Her father told her in a dream.
(b) Her aunt told her.
(c) She found her father’s will.
(d) Her brother told her.
14. What does Francis imagine when Rosskam stops his wagon in Chapter 4?
(a) His son slipping out of his hands.
(b) His wife living her days without him, not telling anyone what happened to Gerald.
(c) The face of Harold Allen as he was hit with the rock Francis threw.
(d) His parents moving into the house and raising him.
15. What image does Katrina’s poet have of her?
(a) A caged woman eating a rabbit.
(b) A bird being chased by a hawk.
(c) A serpent with long hair.
(d) A crow flying away from a poisoned squirrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen’s mother use the money that should have been for Helen?
2. How does Francis characterize his mother?
3. What is Francis’ response to Katrina’s scar?
4. What does Helen say is her lucky star?
5. How does Helen characterize her relationship with Francis?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)