|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Francis become close to Katrina Daugherty?
(a) He painted her house, and did odd jobs.
(b) He pushed her out of the way of a trolley.
(c) He prevented her from going out of her house naked.
(d) He worked for her for years, admiring her from a distance.
2. The narrator says that even as Francis felt rich, he felt what other feeling?
3. In Chapter 6, how does the narrator characterize Francis’ emotions when he arrives at Annie’s house?
4. How much does Francis take in pay from Rosskam?
5. How does the narrator characterize the effect of Francis handling things from his previous life?
6. What are the dead folks building in Annie’s back yard, when Francis visits?
(a) A mausoleum.
(b) A shed.
(d) A grave.
7. Why was Billy in trouble with the politicians?
(a) They thought he was rigging the card games he ran.
(b) They thought he was in cahoots with kidnappers.
(c) They thought that he was getting his father to vote against them twenty times.
(d) They thought he was stealing from them.
8. What is William Kennedy using when he says that Helen’s money is the last twelve dollars of her life?
9. What is Helen humming when she wakes up in the morning and starts to walk?
(b) Te Deum.
10. How did Helen find out that her mother had betrayed her?
(a) Her aunt told her.
(b) Her brother told her.
(c) She found her father’s will.
(d) Her father told her in a dream.
11. What advice does Keats give Francis about seeing?
(a) Be careful not to see too much.
(b) Make sure you learn the thing that you didn’t see at first glance.
(c) Trust your eyes to deceive you, so pay close attention so they don’t.
(d) Don’t make any decisions until you have seen as much as possible.
12. What momentous event took place at Kibbee’s lumberyard?
(a) Francis and Annie kissed for the first time.
(b) Francis met Helen.
(c) Francis and Helen worked together.
(d) Francis slept with Helen for the first time.
13. What does Francis say was his mother’s attitude toward sex?
14. What desire does Francis say he feels when Rosskam tells him about the women he makes love to during his rounds?
(a) To run away.
(b) To make love with Helen.
(c) To feel desire as he felt it once.
(d) To smash Rosskam’s skull in.
15. What does Katrina say will cure all Francis’ troubles?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is remembered on All Saints Day?
2. What statement of Francis’ does Helen say is prophetic?
3. How did Helen’s father die?
4. What was the outcome of Helen’s one pregnancy?
5. How does Francis characterize his mother?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)