|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Skippy Maguire ruin his hand?
(a) By punching a window.
(b) By barehanding a line drive.
(c) By playing when it was injured.
(d) By grabbing hot coals in the fire.
2. What literary term describes the jump back to an earlier time at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Non-linear narrative.
(d) A historical narrative.
3. What explanation does Annie give Francis, for why she never said anything about him dropping Gerald?
(a) She thought he would come back and atone for it himself.
(b) She didn’t want him to stay away from the house.
(c) There was no use talking about it.
(d) She already knew how sorry he was.
4. Where did Helen plan to go after Vassar?
(b) New York.
5. What trait does Helen say her mother and Francis’ mother have in common?
(a) They both kept them at home too long.
(b) They both educated them.
(c) They both lied to them all the time.
(d) They both despised them.
6. How did Helen’s father die?
(a) Jumped off a bridge.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) Train wreck.
7. What does Francis tell Harold Allen he wanted to do, at the strike?
(a) Get his job back.
(b) Raise a ruckus.
(c) Kill a man.
(d) Get justice.
8. Whose kidnapping did Francis’ son Billy get mixed up in?
(a) The daughter of a State Senator.
(b) Rosskam’s baby.
(c) The son of Albany’s political boss.
(d) The Lindbergh baby.
9. What was Francis’ job when he was living with Helen?
(a) Trolley car engineer.
(c) Baseball player.
(d) Fixit man.
10. What does Katrina say will cure all Francis’ troubles?
11. How did Francis become close to Katrina Daugherty?
(a) He prevented her from going out of her house naked.
(b) He pushed her out of the way of a trolley.
(c) He painted her house, and did odd jobs.
(d) He worked for her for years, admiring her from a distance.
12. Why was Billy in trouble with the politicians?
(a) They thought he was rigging the card games he ran.
(b) They thought he was stealing from them.
(c) They thought that he was getting his father to vote against them twenty times.
(d) They thought he was in cahoots with kidnappers.
13. What does Helen say she is a symbol of?
(a) She says that she is a symbol of the potential in the human heart.
(b) She says that she is a symbol of the road-not-taken.
(c) She says that she is not a symbol of anything.
(d) She says that she is a symbol of the life Francis wanted for himself.
14. What are the dead folks building in Annie’s back yard, when Francis visits?
(a) A mausoleum.
(c) A shed.
(d) A grave.
15. How does the narrator characterize Rosskam?
(a) Severe and impatient.
(b) Filthy and broad-chested.
(c) Tall and young.
(d) Pudgy and short.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen find out that her mother had betrayed her?
2. What turns Francis and Rosskam back in their rounds?
3. What is Francis’ response to Katrina’s scar?
4. What food does Katrina serve to Francis?
5. What statement of Francis’ does Helen say is prophetic?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)