|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dread does Francis say he associates with sex?
2. The narrator says that even as Francis felt rich, he felt what other feeling?
3. What does Helen say motivated her through her days?
(a) A will to redemption.
(b) A will to power.
(c) A will to grace.
(d) A will happiness.
4. What did Francis’ mother announce at Thanksgiving dinner after Francis was married?
(a) That Francis was abandoning her and the family for a trollop.
(b) That Francis was not welcome in the house till he had a son.
(c) That Francis was welcome in the house, but his wife was not.
(d) That Francis and his bride were not welcome in the family house.
5. Who does Fiddler Quain tell Francis he’ll have to forgive?
(a) His baby for falling.
(b) His traitorous hands.
(c) Harold Allen.
6. What revenge did Helen get on her mother?
(a) She moved away, and let her brother put their mother in a home.
(b) She ruined herself out of spite.
(c) She poisoned her.
(d) She took her case to the police, and made her brother give her money.
7. How does Francis characterize his mother?
(a) She had been dead all her life.
(b) She only came to life when she was married.
(c) She was always being killed.
(d) She died when she had sex.
8. How does Helen characterize her relationship with Arthur?
(a) He squandered her wealth.
(b) He set her free.
(c) He kept her prisoner.
(d) He introduced her to herself.
9. How does Francis characterize his ability to atone for the past?
(a) He says that his life itself is guilt, now.
(b) He says that the only apology would be to kill himself.
(c) He says that nothing he says means anything.
(d) He says that he can’t bring himself to apologize.
10. How does the narrator characterize the effect of Francis handling things from his previous life?
11. Where did Helen meet Arthur?
(a) A symphony performance.
(b) Arthur’s piano store.
(c) On the street.
(d) Through a friend.
12. For whom does Helen light a candle when she goes to church?
(b) Her parents.
(d) Her child.
13. What pitch does Francis teach Daniel to throw?
(a) An outshoot.
(b) A knuckleball.
(c) A curveball.
(d) An inshoot.
14. What does Francis ask a woman in the street in Chapter 6?
(a) Where his house used to be.
(b) Where he can get a turkey.
(c) Where he can get a jug.
(d) Where he is.
15. How does Helen characterize her relationship with Francis?
(a) She helps him make all his decisions.
(b) He owns her.
(c) He owes everything to her.
(d) She is subservient to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katrina ask Francis about her scar?
2. What are the dead folks building in Annie’s back yard, when Francis visits?
3. What food does Katrina serve to Francis?
4. How does Helen prefer to think of her sins?
5. What does Rosskam invite Francis to watch?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)