|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen say she was doing while Sandra was dying?
(c) Enjoying herself.
2. What is the essence of Francis’ response when Rudy asks where they are going?
(a) They are bums, and don’t have anywhere to go.
(b) They are going into hiding.
(c) They are performing an important and mysterious errand.
(d) They are believers, and fate will take them where it wants.
3. What are Francis’ feelings about the house he was born in?
(a) He doesn’t care if it falls down.
(b) He wants to know what it’s like inside now.
(c) He wants to burn it down.
(d) He wishes he could go back there.
4. What does the narrator say Rudy is aware of as Francis approaches Gerald’s grave?
(a) Francis going slightly insane.
(b) The truck starting up, to take them back to the city.
(c) The weather turning colder.
(d) Something momentous happening.
5. What knowledge does Francis say he and Rudy share?
(a) The etiquette of bums.
(b) The chivalry of drink.
(c) The manners of wanderers.
(d) The rights of homeless men.
6. What does Daddy Big say Francis’ son Billy did for him?
(a) Gave him money.
(b) Gave him a place to dry out.
(c) Got him work.
(d) Kept him from choking when he was sick.
7. What had Dick Doolan’s job been, when he worked in the Tenderloin?
8. What day of the year does Ironweed start on?
(a) Day of the Dead.
(b) All Saints’ Day.
(c) All Souls’ Day.
9. What does Francis say to Rudy when Rudy says that he ain’t dead yet?
(a) You ain’t alive, either.
(b) You will be. You will be.
(c) It’s just a matter of time.
(d) That’s what you think.
10. What brotherhood does the narrator say Francis and Rudy have between them?
(a) Brotherhood of the desolate.
(b) Brotherhood of bums.
(c) Brotherhood of the optimists.
(d) Brotherhood of the ghosts.
11. What urge does Francis have when he and Helen leave Jack and Clara’s?
(a) To make love to Helen.
(b) To run.
(c) To drink.
(d) To sleep.
12. What year is it in the present moment of the novel?
13. What is Francis afraid will happen to Sandra?
(a) The dogs will eat her.
(b) She’ll be arrested.
(c) She will get sick.
(d) She will die.
14. What makes it possible for Francis and Rudy to eat at the Mission?
(a) They are homeless.
(b) They made reservations.
(c) They are sober.
(d) They have money.
15. What is Francis’ reaction when Rudy tells him he is frivolous?
(a) He retreats into enigmatic silence.
(b) He clowns around.
(c) He insults Rudy genially.
(d) He gets angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role had Dick Doolan played in Francis’ life?
2. What does Rudy say his religion is?
3. Where does Francis Phelan find his family’s graves?
4. How does Francis characterize Clara?
5. What physically connects Francis to the memory of his son’s death?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)