|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Francis Phelan’s batting average in 1916?
2. Which of the seven deadly sins prompts Francis to get defensive?
3. When did the confrontation with the scabs take place?
4. Why does Francis work in the cemetery?
(a) To redeem his suitcase at a hotel.
(b) To get Helen out of jail.
(c) To get money for a place to stay.
(d) To make money to pay a lawyer.
5. What does Francis say is ‘standard survival currency everywhere’?
6. Where does Francis say his mother probably is?
7. What is the price Helen pays for sleeping where she does after leaving Clara's house?
(a) She stays for free.
(b) A sex act.
(c) Six dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
8. What does Helen say she was doing while Sandra was dying?
(c) Enjoying herself.
9. What day of the year does Ironweed start on?
(a) Day of the Dead.
(b) All Souls’ Day.
(c) All Saints’ Day.
10. What year is it in the present moment of the novel?
11. What does Rudy say is Sandra’s last name?
(a) Sandra Get-me-another.
(b) Sandra There-ain’t-no-more.
(c) Sandra Easy.
(d) Sandra Eskimo.
12. How did Francis kill Dick Doolan?
(a) Suffocated him in a stream.
(b) Stabbed him with a fork.
(c) Smashed his skull against a bridge abutment.
(d) Broke his head with a stone.
13. How does Francis describe Helen to Rudy?
(a) He says that he can’t wait to be finished with her.
(b) He says that he can never tell where she is.
(c) He says that she never gives him any peace with her nagging.
(d) He says that she’s the best woman he’s ever known.
14. Where does Helen sleep?
(a) The Mission.
(b) Finny’s car.
(d) A flop.
15. Where is Clara when Francis and Helen arrive at Jack’s flat?
(a) In the bath.
(b) On a chamber pot.
(c) In bed.
(d) On the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accusation does the ghost of the first man Francis killed accuse Francis of?
2. How does the narrator say Daddy Big Dugan died?
3. How do Francis and Rudy characterize themselves?
4. What is Francis Phelan’s father’s reaction to Francis’ arrival?
5. How does Francis characterize Sandra’s life?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)