|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis characterize Clara?
(a) A good bum.
2. What accusation does the ghost of the first man Francis killed accuse Francis of?
(b) Murdering his baby.
3. How did Aldo Campione die?
(a) Fell from a train.
(b) Shot in the back.
(c) His neck was broken in a fight.
(d) He died of exposure.
4. What is Francis guilty about, when he talks to Gerald?
(a) Abandoning his family.
(c) Dropping the baby.
(d) Taking lovers.
5. What are Francis’ feelings about the house he was born in?
(a) He wants to burn it down.
(b) He wants to know what it’s like inside now.
(c) He doesn’t care if it falls down.
(d) He wishes he could go back there.
6. What does Francis say about anything that “draws blood or breaks heads”?
(a) He regrets learning about it.
(b) He has held it in his hand.
(c) He knows how it tastes.
(d) He has seen it in action.
7. What kind of cemetery are Francis and Rudy working in for the day?
8. What kind of establishment is The Gilded Cage?
(a) A fancy restaurant.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A burlesque hall.
(d) A dive bar.
9. What makes it possible for Francis and Rudy to eat at the Mission?
(a) They have money.
(b) They are sober.
(c) They are homeless.
(d) They made reservations.
10. What had Dick Doolan’s job been, when he worked in the Tenderloin?
11. How do Francis and Rudy characterize themselves?
12. The narrator says that Francis was “staunchly resolute” in the face of what?
(a) The need to quit drinking.
(b) A knife attack.
(c) Capricious and adverse fate.
13. What does Helen say will happen to Francis if he leaves her on the street?
(a) She will die.
(b) He will forget her.
(c) He will be lost.
(d) He will freeze.
14. What physical debility does Reverend Chester have?
(b) Mangled hand.
(c) Facial scars.
(d) Blind eye.
15. How familiar does Francis say trolleys are to him?
(a) They are as familiar as his father’s face.
(b) He himself built the trolley he and Rudy ride.
(c) He never rides them.
(d) He used to know them well, but has forgotten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the seven deadly sins prompts Francis to get defensive?
2. How does Francis characterize himself and Rudy?
3. What does the narrator say is in short supply on Halloween night?
4. In the epigraph, what does Dante leave behind by hoisting sail with his wit?
5. What is the price Helen pays for sleeping where she does after leaving Clara's house?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)