1. In the epigraph, what does Dante leave behind by hoisting sail with his wit?
(a) A sea so cruel.
(b) His darling children.
(c) His fair wife.
(d) His beautiful homeland.
2. Where is Dante’s epigraph from?
(a) The Purgatorio.
(b) The Vita Nuova.
(c) The Paradiso.
(d) The Inferno.
3. Where does Francis Phelan find his family’s graves?
(a) In the earth and sky themselves.
(b) In the unmarked graves.
(c) Among the illustrious dead.
(d) Among the flowing masses.
4. How does the narrator characterize Francis’ mother’s reaction to his arrival in the cemetery?
5. What is Francis Phelan’s father’s reaction to Francis’ arrival?
(a) He is pleased to see his son.
(b) He is disturbed by unfinished business.
(c) He is tormented with impatience.
(d) He is heartbroken with forgiveness.
6. Where is Francis Phelan’s family derived from?
This section contains 4,639 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)