|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comparison did Little Mi make about Chinese parents and their children?
2. What color scarf was Little Mil wearing when she first met Salzman?
3. What did Salzman tell Little Mia that he worried about?
4. What happened to Professor Jin at the end of the chapter named after him?
5. What did the Provincial Foreign Affairs Bureau arrange as a celebration for all the foreigners living and working in Hanan on October 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pan offer to Salzman toward the end of his stay in China?
2. Why did Teacher Hei want Salzman to keep their lessons a secret?
3. How did Salzman stab himself in the thigh with his sword?
4. How did Little Mi have a moment of freedom at the end of her bicycle ride back to the hospital?
5. Why did Salzman kill a rat?
6. What problem did Salzman have when he tried to buy some coffee in Hangzhou?
7. Describe Pan's illness and explain why he refused to stay in the hospital.
8. How did Salzman get his medical students to learn through acting skits?
9. Why did Salzman assign co-ed skits to his 1983 English Medical Students class?
10. Describe Little Mi and Salzman's reaction to her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Salzman received numerous gifts from others during his stay in China. Identify three gifts that changed Salzman's life for the better and explain why he received them.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the organization of "Iron & Silk." Does it flow well? Are the chapter titles useful in understanding the content? Why does Salzman choose multiple titles for each chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the role Teacher Wei played in Salzman's first year of teaching at the Medical College. How did she help Salzman and offer him useful guidance?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)