|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Salzman bring to the coffee shop the second time he went there?
2. Who accidentally pierced a dog's heart with a lab needle?
3. What did Teacher Wu give to Salzman during his class with the 1983 English Medical students?
4. What color cap did Master Liang wear the first time Salzman met him?
5. What did Salzman's student Juliet pretend to advertise in a commercial in his class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Little Mi and Salzman's reaction to her.
2. What did Pan offer to Salzman toward the end of his stay in China?
3. How did Salzman stab himself in the thigh with his sword?
4. What did Salzman like about Liang?
5. What did the Chinese translator who sat next to Salzman at the banquet think about Salzman's collection of books?
6. Describe some of the things the runaway did while he is living with Bill and Salzman.
7. Describe the mural that the artist Lu made for Salzman.
8. What happened when Teacher Wu and the Yale-China Field Staff Director observed Salzman's class?
9. What did Salzman notice about Teacher Hei's hands and eyes when they had lessons?
10. What problem did Salzman have when he tried to buy some coffee in Hangzhou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods did Salzman introduce to his students for learning English that they had never experienced before? Did the students seem to enjoy these new methods? What problems did they encounter because they were asked to try something new?
Essay Topic 2
Define qi and explain what Master Liang taught Salzman about it. Did Salzman enjoy taking lessons from him? What experiences did they share that were meaningful to Salzman? What did Master Liang ask Salzman to do for him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that humor played in Salzman's experiences in China. Did he value humor in his friendships as well as in his teachers? Why did he want to see his Chinese students loosen up? Did Salzman's use of humor in his teaching methods make for a better classroom experience?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)