|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did the runaway call Bill?
2. What secret did Teacher Hei want Salzman to keep?
3. How was the Liang family dressed the day Salzman took photographs of them in front of their apartment building?
4. What did the mother of the short man bring to him while he was in jail?
5. What did Bill see in Africa when he was sitting on a truck with the words "My friend, it is not beautiful"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Chinese translator who sat next to Salzman at the banquet think about Salzman's collection of books?
2. Describe the mural that the artist Lu made for Salzman.
3. Describe how Salzman disguised himself when he brought Little Mi back to the hospital after she missed the last bus.
4. How did Salzman get his medical students to learn through acting skits?
5. Why did Salzman draw crowds when he and Teacher Hei went to the bicycle repair stand?
6. What did Salzman like about Liang?
7. What happened when Teacher Wu and the Yale-China Field Staff Director observed Salzman's class?
8. Why did Professor Jin invite Salzman to tea?
9. Describe some of the things the runaway did while he is living with Bill and Salzman.
10. Why did Salzman think Master Liang was angry when they first met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods did Salzman introduce to his students for learning English that they had never experienced before? Did the students seem to enjoy these new methods? What problems did they encounter because they were asked to try something new?
Essay Topic 2
How was Salzman received in China? How did his students react to having a foreigner as a teacher? Why were some people frightened of him? What was Old Ding's first reaction to him?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the role Teacher Wei played in Salzman's first year of teaching at the Medical College. How did she help Salzman and offer him useful guidance?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)