|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who only kissed his young daughters at night when they were asleep?
2. Why couldn't Mr. Gong's youngest son go to to college?
3. What did the Leaders decide about Comrade M's suicide?
4. What name did Mr. Gong call Salzman?
5. What problem did Salzman encounter when he tried to leave China by train at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Salzman entertain Old Ding's family?
2. How did Old Ding react the first time he saw Salzman?
3. Describe what made Salzman's lecture about the movie character E.T. so successful.
4. How did Salzman's class respond to his reading of "The Lottery"?
5. What was Salzman's impression of Changsha when he first arrived?
6. What was Master Zheng's specialty as a Wudang teacher?
7. Describe the Hunan Theater.
8. What lessons did Salzman learn from Hai Bin during their calligraphy sessions together?
9. What happened when the policeman at the train station advised Salzman to put on a martial arts demonstration?
10. Why did Salzman give a gift to Mr. Gong's youngest son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the role Teacher Wei played in Salzman's first year of teaching at the Medical College. How did she help Salzman and offer him useful guidance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Salzman first became interested in China and Chinese culture. How did his parents support his interests? Were his college years an important step toward teaching in China?
Essay Topic 3
What nicknames was Salzman called while in China? Provide three examples of when and why Salzman received his nicknames. What do these nicknames suggest about others' perception of him?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)