|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people lived in Changsha when Salzman arrived there in the early 1980s?
2. How did the Leaders announce their decision about Comrade M's suicide?
3. What did Pan want to learn from Salzman?
4. Whose advice did Salzman seek out when he stopped having lessons with Zheng?
5. What is a xiuxi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Old Yang?
2. How did Salzman entertain Old Ding's family?
3. Describe the martial artist Pan.
4. What was the audience's behavior like during the performance of the Congolese entertainers?
5. Why did Pan and Salzman spend the first few weeks of lessons staring at each other?
6. How does Salzman describe the last performer to come on stage at the Hunan Theater?
7. Describe the Hunan Theater.
8. What was Master Zheng's specialty as a Wudang teacher?
9. What did Salzman perform for Pan after he first met him?
10. How did Salzman's class respond to his reading of "The Lottery"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Salzman first became interested in China and Chinese culture. How did his parents support his interests? Were his college years an important step toward teaching in China?
Essay Topic 2
How was Salzman received in China? How did his students react to having a foreigner as a teacher? Why were some people frightened of him? What was Old Ding's first reaction to him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Teacher Hei's role in changing Salzman's approach to martial arts. In what way did he soften Salzman's style and get him to relax? Did he serve as a role model for Salzman?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)