|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Mark Salzman live in China?
2. What was the topic of the lecture Salzman gave to the doctors and teachers shortly after he arrived in Changsha?
3. How many days did Salzman and his American colleagues go without mail before he paid the postal tax?
4. What did Dr. Li teach Salzman?
5. What gift did Salzman give Mr. Gong's youngest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Salzman do with the fish Old Ding and his brothers gave him as a gift?
2. When did Salzman first become interested in the Chinese culture?
3. Describe what made Salzman's lecture about the movie character E.T. so successful.
4. Why was Mark Salzman detained at the train station when he was leaving China after a two-year stay?
5. What did Salzman learn about Mr. Gong's past during his English lesson with him?
6. What was the audience's behavior like during the performance of the Congolese entertainers?
7. What was Master Zheng's specialty as a Wudang teacher?
8. How did Old Ding express his desire to be friends with Salzman?
9. What did Old Sheep fear about the suicide of a college worker?
10. Why did Salzman offer to get a book on Michelangelo from America for Lin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the development of Pan and Salzman's relationship from its beginning lessons to final Long Sword routine. How did their relationship deepen during Salzman's two-year stay? In what way did both men receive important lessons from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Salzman and Zheng's relationship as master and student. How did Salzman improve because of his lessons with Zheng? Why did he decide to stop taking lessons from him, and what were the consequences of this decision?
Essay Topic 3
What do you learn about Communist China from reading "Iron & Silk"? How does Salzman reflect on the political as well as the personal in this memoir?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)