|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Master Liang do if his opponents cheated during push-hands matches?
(a) Tell the authorities.
(b) Squeeze them until they fainted.
(c) Glare at them.
(d) Give up and go home.
2. What reason did Salzman give for not accepting a drink of liquor from the man on the train who was just released from jail?
(a) He couldn't drink on an empty stomach.
(b) He couldn't stand the taste.
(c) He was allergic to wine.
(d) He was afraid of germs.
3. Whose room did the runaway sleep in at the Hunan Medical College?
4. Who did Salzman buy sheet music for when he visited the United States?
(a) Chamber group he is playing with.
(b) Piano music for Teacher Wei.
(c) Professional singer.
(d) Teacher who plays the violin.
5. What did Salzman bring to the coffee shop the second time he went there?
(a) Travel mug.
(c) Cream and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Salzman choose not to travel during his winter break of his second year in China?
2. What was depicted in the mural that Salzman received as a gift?
3. How far away did Teacher Hei live from Salzman?
4. What was the title of the book that the Chinese gentleman borrowed from Salzman and asks to keep?
5. What nickname did Salzman's students give him when he killed an animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Little Mi and Salzman's reaction to her.
2. Why did Professor Jin invite Salzman to tea?
3. How did Salzman get his medical students to learn through acting skits?
4. Describe Pan's illness and explain why he refused to stay in the hospital.
5. Why did Salzman think Master Liang was angry when they first met?
6. Why did Teacher Hei's wife knit Salzman a sweater?
7. What happened when Teacher Wu and the Yale-China Field Staff Director observed Salzman's class?
8. Describe how Salzman disguised himself when he brought Little Mi back to the hospital after she missed the last bus.
9. Why did April have difficulty adjusting to Salzman's class?
10. What did Little Mi's relative tell Salzman about her?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)