|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the peasant pay Mr. Gong in exchange for helping his feverish son?
2. What did Old Sheep wear over her hair when she was working?
(a) Black knitted cap.
(c) Baseball cap.
(d) White surgical cap.
3. How did Salzman describe a costume worn by an entertainer who sang "Africa--I love you"?
(a) Native dress.
(c) Elvis Presley costume.
4. What was Pan's nickname?
(a) Gentle One.
(b) Iron Fist.
(c) Silent Fighter.
(d) Mr. Great.
5. Why couldn't Mr. Gong's youngest son go to to college?
(a) He was too scared.
(b) He didn't have the money.
(c) He was nearsighted and would not pass the eye exam.
(d) He was not smart enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a Chinese-style breakfast consist of that Salzman ate when he traveled by train to South Central China?
2. What did Salzman find shocking about the way Changsha looked when he was riding in a van through the streets?
3. Where did Salzman live while in China?
4. From what part of Africa were the entertainers who performed the night Salzman arrived in Changsha?
5. What did the Leaders decide about Comrade M's suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Old Sheep fear about the suicide of a college worker?
2. What was the audience's behavior like during the performance of the Congolese entertainers?
3. What happened when Salzman developed athlete's foot and needed medication?
4. How did Salzman entertain Old Ding's family?
5. Why did Salzman offer to get a book on Michelangelo from America for Lin?
6. Why was Mark Salzman detained at the train station when he was leaving China after a two-year stay?
7. When did Salzman first become interested in the Chinese culture?
8. What story did Teacher Zhu tell the class about his most joyous memory?
9. What difficulties did Salzman and his friends have with the China Travel Service while in Canton?
10. How did Salzman try to put Mr. Gong's youngest son at ease during their drawing lessons?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)