|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the mother of the short man bring to him while he was in jail?
(b) Fresh clothes.
(c) Home-cooked meals.
2. What did Salzman bring to the coffee shop the second time he went there?
(a) Cream and sugar.
(b) Travel mug.
3. What was Salzman's favorite method of teaching English to his Chinese students?
(a) Memorizing grammar.
(b) Reading quietly to themselves.
(c) Having small groups prepare a skit.
(d) Studying flash cards.
4. What did Salzman say that Bill was in "A Coffee Shop"?
5. What was the service person reading when Salzman wanted to enter the coffee shop?
(a) English novel.
(d) Comic book.
6. What day did Salzman take lessons from Professor Jin?
7. Why did the large man who was just released from prison hit his traveling companion in the chest?
(a) He wanted to knock him unconscious.
(b) He wanted him to stop talking about his mother.
(c) He wanted to do a martial arts routine.
(d) He wanted to get his attention.
8. What was depicted in the mural that Salzman received as a gift?
9. What occupation did Little Mi have?
(d) Professional pianist.
10. What did Little Mi ask Salzman if she could borrow?
(b) Calligraphy brushes.
11. How was the Liang family dressed the day Salzman took photographs of them in front of their apartment building?
(a) All in white.
(b) Brightly colored clothing.
(c) In formal suits and long dresses.
(d) Black outfits.
12. What color scarf was Little Mil wearing when she first met Salzman?
13. What did Master Lu say when Salzman said he spoke Chinese?
(a) No way.
(b) That's incredible.
(c) Well done.
(d) Good job.
14. When Salzman returned to the United States for a visit, where did he practice wushu?
(a) Central Park.
(b) Downtown Hartford.
(c) Near the ocean.
(d) In his parents garage.
15. What happened to Professor Jin at the end of the chapter named after him?
(a) He was swamped with work and could not teach Salzman.
(b) He moved to another city.
(c) He went into a coma.
(d) He died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lenny say in class the day Teacher Wu and the Yale-China Field Staff Director visited Salzman's class?
2. What did Salzman drive over so Little Mi would hold onto him when he was driving her back to the hospital?
3. What would Master Liang do if his opponents cheated during push-hands matches?
4. Where did Pan teach Salzman after he was no longer admitted to the Sports Unit?
5. What did Salzman's student Juliet pretend to advertise in a commercial in his class?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)