|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did Salzman and his American colleagues go without mail before he paid the postal tax?
2. How did the Leaders announce their decision about Comrade M's suicide?
(a) Speech in the middle of the college.
(b) By letter.
(c) With a poster.
(d) Announcement on the radio.
3. What did Old Sheep usually like to talk about with Salzman after she greeted him in the morning?
(a) Her health.
(d) His family.
4. What sculpture of Michelangelo's was on the postcard that Lin described as his most precious belonging?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) Madonna and Child.
(c) Crouching Boy.
5. What occupation did Comrade M have before her death?
(c) Clerical worker.
6. What kind of Chinese boats did Salzman say were shaped like cigars?
(c) Transportation vessels.
7. How many private students did Pan teach?
(b) One hundred.
8. What made the little girl scared at the end of the performance in which entertainers sang "Socialism is Good"?
(a) The loud music.
(b) The sound of cymbals.
(c) Shouts of the cadres.
(d) She was lifted up by one of the performers.
9. What was the title of the short story that Salzman read aloud to his class in "A Short Story"?
(a) The Lottery.
(c) The Tell Tale Heart.
(d) Young Goodman Brown.
10. When Salzman performed a martial arts demonstration in "Leaving," what embarrassing event occurred?
(a) He forgot his martial arts moves.
(b) A dog howled through his whole performance.
(c) He split open the back of his pants.
(d) No one wanted to watch him perform.
11. What was Pan's nickname?
(a) Mr. Great.
(b) Gentle One.
(c) Iron Fist.
(d) Silent Fighter.
12. How long did Mark Salzman live in China?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
13. What did Old Ding and his brothers give to Salzman when they brought him ashore after his first visit with them?
(a) Two large fish.
14. What did Zheng break over his head the first time Salzman met him?
(b) Ceramic vase.
(c) Wooden chair.
(d) Two by four.
15. What does Old Yang's name mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greeted Salzman when he returned from a weekend trip to Wuhan?
2. What movie did Pan play an evil character in?
3. In what city did Salzman and Bill visit Hai Bin?
4. What kind of tax did the Post Office require Salzman pay for his package of medication?
5. Who said "Easy things become impossible" in "Mei Banfa"?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)