|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Chinese word for martial arts?
2. Why did Dr. Nie awaken Salzman one January morning?
(a) To watch a martial arts demonstration.
(b) To ask him to teach his class.
(c) To meet a new teacher.
(d) To have breakfast.
3. What did Salzman find shocking about the way Changsha looked when he was riding in a van through the streets?
(a) How filthy it all looked.
(b) The starving people.
(c) The brightly painted houses.
(d) The beggars.
4. What did a Chinese-style breakfast consist of that Salzman ate when he traveled by train to South Central China?
(a) Ham sandwich.
(b) Beef and noodles.
(c) Fruit and cheese.
(d) Bowl of noodles with a fried egg.
5. Why did the musicians leave the stage halfway through a performance of a mouth harp piece?
(a) The curtain dropped unexpectedly.
(b) The audience left.
(c) The audience was talking, walking around, and spitting loudly.
(d) Musician got sick suddenly.
6. Why couldn't Mr. Gong's youngest son go to to college?
(a) He didn't have the money.
(b) He was too scared.
(c) He was not smart enough.
(d) He was nearsighted and would not pass the eye exam.
7. What did Mr. Gong's youngest son break when Salzman was at the table with him?
(c) Tea cup.
(d) Charcoal pencil.
8. What skin problem did Salzman develop in the Fall of 1982?
(b) Athlete's foot.
(c) Heat rash.
9. In what city did Salzman and Bill visit Hai Bin?
(b) Hong Kong.
10. What did Old Sheep wear over her hair when she was working?
(a) Black knitted cap.
(b) White surgical cap.
(d) Baseball cap.
11. How many private students did Pan teach?
(c) One hundred.
12. Whose grave sites did Salzman visit in Changsha?
(a) Revolutionary heroes.
(c) War criminals.
(d) Ancient Chinese families.
13. What sculpture of Michelangelo's was on the postcard that Lin described as his most precious belonging?
(a) Crouching Boy.
(b) St. Peter.
(d) Madonna and Child.
14. Who only kissed his young daughters at night when they were asleep?
(a) Dr. Nei.
(c) Teacher Liu.
(d) Comrade Yu.
15. Who was Hai Bin?
(a) Party Leader.
(b) Teacher Wei's friend.
(c) Salzman's calligraphy teacher.
(d) Teacher Wu's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie did Pan play an evil character in?
2. What word did Mr. Gong use to describe his youngest son at the end of "Myopia"?
3. What made the little girl scared at the end of the performance in which entertainers sang "Socialism is Good"?
4. What did the Leaders believe caused Comrade's M suicide?
5. Who traveled with Salzman to South Central China?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)