|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger is telling King Thoas about the escape of the prisoners, what does he tell the King that Iphigenia did to make them think she was busy with the ceremony?
2. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
3. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking with King Thoas about the image moving, she tells him that something else happened as well as the movement. What else does Iphigenia say happened with the image?
5. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes and Pylades are friends who some in the story mistake for brothers. Why do you think some people mistake the two young men as brothers? How are the two young strangers similar? Do you see differences between Orestes and Pylades? If so, what are they? Explain the relationship between Orestes and Pylades and how they support each other during the story.
Essay Topic 2
The play, Iphigenia in Taurus, takes place during the space of only a day. Even though the story takes place during only one day, do you feel like the characters and setting were established enough to interest you as a reader? If so, how were the characters developed enough to interest and involve you as a reader? Why do you think Euripides chose to only have the story take place during such a short time period? Is time at all important in the play, or does the time frame really not affect the outcome of the story? Explain your answers by using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Athena, the goddess of reason, appears at the end of the play, Iphigenia in Taurus. What significance does she play in the story? Why did Athena step in to help Orestes and Iphigenia? What other appearance does Athena make in the story, besides the ending? Do you think she felt like she had to finally free Orestes because she wasn't able to do it fully at his trial? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 2,153 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)