|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 6, what is the first stanza called that the Chorus recites in their poem?
2. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
3. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
4. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
5. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, the theme of betrayal is evident when we learn of Iphigenia's father, Agamemnon, betraying his own daughter. How does Agamemnon betray others that he loves during this time? Do you think Agamemnon felt sorry for what happened to his daughter? Later on, Agamemnon is betrayed. By who? Do you think Euripides used the betrayal of Iphigenia by her father as a kind of foreshadowing of another betrayal yet to come? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus there is a theme of family. We can see Iphigenia's love for her family through her sorrow, pain, and joy. What moments in the story bring Iphigenia sorrow, pain, and misery concerning her family? What parts in the story bring Iphigenia joy concerning her family? Use specific examples from the story to support your answers. Why do you think family is so important to Iphigenia? Do you think the love of her family has grown more because of her absence? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
During the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is hounded by the Furies and he is driven into a mad-like state by their tauntings. How is the appearance of the Furies in the play similar to someone having a conscience? What things do they make Orestes feel? How is this similar to someone that has something bad on their conscience? Even though Orestes feels like what he did to his mother is right, do you still think he feels guilty anyway? Why or why not?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)