|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
2. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
3. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
4. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
5. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Iphigenia promise she will do after Orestes has been sacrificed?
2. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
3. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
4. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
6. Iphigenia explains in Part 2 that the men in her homeland already know her fate. What do they think has happened to Iphigenia?
7. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
8. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
9. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
10. Why does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the young strangers need to be cleansed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite character in the play, Iphigenia in Taurus? Why did this character appeal to you? What characteristics did you like about this character? Were there any characteristics that you didn't like about this person? What does this character add to the story? How would things be different if the character did not exist? Would anything remain the same if this character did not exist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus there is a theme of family. We can see Iphigenia's love for her family through her sorrow, pain, and joy. What moments in the story bring Iphigenia sorrow, pain, and misery concerning her family? What parts in the story bring Iphigenia joy concerning her family? Use specific examples from the story to support your answers. Why do you think family is so important to Iphigenia? Do you think the love of her family has grown more because of her absence? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Iphigenia in Taurus, who do you consider to be the protagonist of the story? What kind of obstacles does this character face or overcome? Do you think there could be more than one person that people would see as a protagonist of this story? Why or why not? Who or what would be considered to be the antagonists in the story? How does the protagonist grow and learn from their experiences in the story? Use specific examples throughout the story to support your answers.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)