|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
2. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
3. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
4. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
5. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orestes request Pylades do for him when he returns home?
2. In Part 5, why does King Thoas agree to not question why Iphigenia will take so long with the purification process?
3. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
4. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
5. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Orestes ask Pylades where they are and wonders if they are in a dream?
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
7. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
8. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
9. What is Iphigenia's reaction when she finds out that her mother killed her father?
10. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas about the purification rituals she'll have to perform on Orestes, Pylades, and the statue of Artemis, she is confident in what she is telling him even though it is not the truth. Do you think Iphigenia had a lot of courage to lie to the King, or do you think it was easy for her to lie to him? Why do you think King Thoas trusted Iphigenia so fully? When Thoas was preparing his guardsmen to seize and capture Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia from their ship, why did the appearance of Athena stop him? Do you think all the mortal characters in the play were fully trusting of all the gods? Why or why not? If not, who do you think did not trust what the gods were about? Explain your reasoning and use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
During the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is hounded by the Furies and he is driven into a mad-like state by their tauntings. How is the appearance of the Furies in the play similar to someone having a conscience? What things do they make Orestes feel? How is this similar to someone that has something bad on their conscience? Even though Orestes feels like what he did to his mother is right, do you still think he feels guilty anyway? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus there is a theme of family. We can see Iphigenia's love for her family through her sorrow, pain, and joy. What moments in the story bring Iphigenia sorrow, pain, and misery concerning her family? What parts in the story bring Iphigenia joy concerning her family? Use specific examples from the story to support your answers. Why do you think family is so important to Iphigenia? Do you think the love of her family has grown more because of her absence? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)