|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
2. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
3. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
4. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Orestes and Pylades finally decide to do after they have spoken of how to get into the temple?
2. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what story does he claim Iphigenia wove in her loom?
3. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Orestes ask Pylades where they are and wonders if they are in a dream?
4. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
5. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
6. Iphigenia explains in Part 2 that the men in her homeland already know her fate. What do they think has happened to Iphigenia?
7. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
8. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
9. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
10. In Part 6, the messenger tells the King that after Iphigenia got onto the ship safely and the ship was on its way, he heard a ringing voice. What did the voice say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas is used as a type of comic relief. What evidence from the play supports this idea? Why do you think King Thoas was so trusting of Iphigenia? What gave Iphigenia the courage to lie to King Thoas and do you think she felt any type of remorse doing so? What ideas in the play help develop King Thoas' character? What do you think are some of King Thoas' weaknesses? Use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The play, Iphigenia in Taurus, takes place during the space of only a day. Even though the story takes place during only one day, do you feel like the characters and setting were established enough to interest you as a reader? If so, how were the characters developed enough to interest and involve you as a reader? Why do you think Euripides chose to only have the story take place during such a short time period? Is time at all important in the play, or does the time frame really not affect the outcome of the story? Explain your answers by using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, it begins by Iphigenia telling of a dream she had about what she perceives as the death of her brother, Orestes. How does the realization that she might be the last person from her family affect Iphagenia's attitude? What change does Iphigenia's demeanor seem to take after she has learned that her brother, Orestes, might be dead? If Orestes was indeed dead in the story, how do you think Iphigenia's attitude would have continued to change during the duration of the story?
This section contains 2,835 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)