|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
2. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
3. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
4. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
5. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
2. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas asks Iphigenia what they should do with the two young men. Why does King Thoas ask Iphigenia this, and what is Iphigenia's reply?
3. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
4. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
5. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, how does Iphigenia remember Orestes at the time she was taken away to be sacrificed?
7. Describe how Iphigenia was saved from death.
8. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
9. Describe the opening scene of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
10. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, the theme of betrayal is evident when we learn of Iphigenia's father, Agamemnon, betraying his own daughter. How does Agamemnon betray others that he loves during this time? Do you think Agamemnon felt sorry for what happened to his daughter? Later on, Agamemnon is betrayed. By who? Do you think Euripides used the betrayal of Iphigenia by her father as a kind of foreshadowing of another betrayal yet to come? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Right from the beginning of Iphigenia in Taurus, we meet the Chorus, who are basically a group of Greek women who are held captive, just like Iphigenia and are her attendants. The Chorus helps in telling us what is going on and provides eloquent ways of telling us things. The Chorus even has moments that they are lamenting and wishing for home, just like Iphigenia. How does the presence of the Chorus of women help with the development of the story? Do we catch a glimpse of what these women are feeling as well? If so, how and when? When Orestes leaves with Iphigenia, do you think these women long to be with them and do you think they are hopeful about being returned to their homeland? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the play to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, it begins by Iphigenia telling of a dream she had about what she perceives as the death of her brother, Orestes. How does the realization that she might be the last person from her family affect Iphagenia's attitude? What change does Iphigenia's demeanor seem to take after she has learned that her brother, Orestes, might be dead? If Orestes was indeed dead in the story, how do you think Iphigenia's attitude would have continued to change during the duration of the story?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)