|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
2. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
3. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
4. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, how does Iphigenia remember Orestes at the time she was taken away to be sacrificed?
2. In the opening of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia first begin telling us?
3. What does Orestes request Pylades do for him when he returns home?
4. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
5. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas asks Iphigenia what they should do with the two young men. Why does King Thoas ask Iphigenia this, and what is Iphigenia's reply?
6. In Part 6, the messenger tells the King that after Iphigenia got onto the ship safely and the ship was on its way, he heard a ringing voice. What did the voice say?
7. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
8. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
9. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
10. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athena, the goddess of reason, appears at the end of the play, Iphigenia in Taurus. What significance does she play in the story? Why did Athena step in to help Orestes and Iphigenia? What other appearance does Athena make in the story, besides the ending? Do you think she felt like she had to finally free Orestes because she wasn't able to do it fully at his trial? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, there is a parallel drawn between Orestes and Iphigenia being brother and sister and Artemis and Apollo being brother and sister. The play consists of examples of love being shown between each set of brother and sister. What is a parallel and why do you think Euripides included this particular parallel in the story? Do you think either Artemis or Apollo was more sympathetic towards Orestes or Iphigenia because they had a similar relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, it begins by Iphigenia telling of a dream she had about what she perceives as the death of her brother, Orestes. How does the realization that she might be the last person from her family affect Iphagenia's attitude? What change does Iphigenia's demeanor seem to take after she has learned that her brother, Orestes, might be dead? If Orestes was indeed dead in the story, how do you think Iphigenia's attitude would have continued to change during the duration of the story?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)