|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
2. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
3. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
4. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
5. Who is Iphigenia's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about Agamemnon, why does Orestes avoid the questioning?
2. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes about her plan to send a letter back with either Pylades or himself, why does she tell Orestes that she feels like he must surely be from royal stock?
4. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, how does Iphigenia remember Orestes at the time she was taken away to be sacrificed?
5. In Part 5, why does King Thoas agree to not question why Iphigenia will take so long with the purification process?
6. Iphigenia explains in Part 2 that the men in her homeland already know her fate. What do they think has happened to Iphigenia?
7. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
8. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
9. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
10. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas is used as a type of comic relief. What evidence from the play supports this idea? Why do you think King Thoas was so trusting of Iphigenia? What gave Iphigenia the courage to lie to King Thoas and do you think she felt any type of remorse doing so? What ideas in the play help develop King Thoas' character? What do you think are some of King Thoas' weaknesses? Use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, the theme of betrayal is evident when we learn of Iphigenia's father, Agamemnon, betraying his own daughter. How does Agamemnon betray others that he loves during this time? Do you think Agamemnon felt sorry for what happened to his daughter? Later on, Agamemnon is betrayed. By who? Do you think Euripides used the betrayal of Iphigenia by her father as a kind of foreshadowing of another betrayal yet to come? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In most Greek tragedies there are serious instances of death or sorrow, but in Euripides' play there is a little softer side of a Greek tragedy. Why do you think Euripides softened the tragedy of his play compared to other writers of his time? Why do you think Euripides introduced a strong female central character, which is another rare occurrence in Greek mythology and plays? Did you like the fact that the play came to a happy resolution after Iphigenia had gone through so much ill-fate and sorrow throughout her life? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,740 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)