|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
2. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
3. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
4. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
5. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Iphigenia explains in Part 2 that the men in her homeland already know her fate. What do they think has happened to Iphigenia?
2. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
3. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia asks that two different things happen that involve cloaks. What are those two things?
4. What does Iphigenia promise she will do after Orestes has been sacrificed?
5. Describe how Iphigenia was saved from death.
6. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
7. What happened to the messenger and guards when they tried to hold fast to Iphigenia and prevent Orestes from taking her onto his ship?
8. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
9. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is the first person to enter the scene and what are they concerned with?
10. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus, Euripides includes a group that is known as the Chorus. The story does not tell us which member of the Chorus is speaking, but just groups them together as one. Who does the Chorus consist of and what significance do the play in the story? Why do you think the Chorus is always grouped together? What benefit to the reader does the Chorus provide? How does the Chorus enhance the story of Iphigenia in Taurus? Explain your answer and provide specific instances from the story to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes and Pylades are friends who some in the story mistake for brothers. Why do you think some people mistake the two young men as brothers? How are the two young strangers similar? Do you see differences between Orestes and Pylades? If so, what are they? Explain the relationship between Orestes and Pylades and how they support each other during the story.
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas is used as a type of comic relief. What evidence from the play supports this idea? Why do you think King Thoas was so trusting of Iphigenia? What gave Iphigenia the courage to lie to King Thoas and do you think she felt any type of remorse doing so? What ideas in the play help develop King Thoas' character? What do you think are some of King Thoas' weaknesses? Use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
This section contains 2,660 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)