|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
2. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
3. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
4. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
5. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream that Iphigenia has.
2. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
3. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
4. In the opening of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia first begin telling us?
5. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
6. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
7. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
8. What does Orestes request Pylades do for him when he returns home?
9. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
10. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia are escaping on begins to be pushed backwards towards land, what do the crew and Iphigenia start to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus, Euripides includes a group that is known as the Chorus. The story does not tell us which member of the Chorus is speaking, but just groups them together as one. Who does the Chorus consist of and what significance do the play in the story? Why do you think the Chorus is always grouped together? What benefit to the reader does the Chorus provide? How does the Chorus enhance the story of Iphigenia in Taurus? Explain your answer and provide specific instances from the story to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Athena, the goddess of reason, appears at the end of the play, Iphigenia in Taurus. What significance does she play in the story? Why did Athena step in to help Orestes and Iphigenia? What other appearance does Athena make in the story, besides the ending? Do you think she felt like she had to finally free Orestes because she wasn't able to do it fully at his trial? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The play, Iphigenia in Taurus, takes place during the space of only a day. Even though the story takes place during only one day, do you feel like the characters and setting were established enough to interest you as a reader? If so, how were the characters developed enough to interest and involve you as a reader? Why do you think Euripides chose to only have the story take place during such a short time period? Is time at all important in the play, or does the time frame really not affect the outcome of the story? Explain your answers by using examples from the play.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)