|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
2. After Iphigenia talks about her dream and exits, who appears from the shore?
3. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
4. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
5. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
2. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
3. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
4. Describe the dream that Iphigenia has.
5. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
6. Describe how Iphigenia was saved from death.
7. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
8. How does the herdsman tell Iphigenia that he captured the two young strangers?
9. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
10. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas about the purification rituals she'll have to perform on Orestes, Pylades, and the statue of Artemis, she is confident in what she is telling him even though it is not the truth. Do you think Iphigenia had a lot of courage to lie to the King, or do you think it was easy for her to lie to him? Why do you think King Thoas trusted Iphigenia so fully? When Thoas was preparing his guardsmen to seize and capture Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia from their ship, why did the appearance of Athena stop him? Do you think all the mortal characters in the play were fully trusting of all the gods? Why or why not? If not, who do you think did not trust what the gods were about? Explain your reasoning and use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Right from the beginning of Iphigenia in Taurus, we meet the Chorus, who are basically a group of Greek women who are held captive, just like Iphigenia and are her attendants. The Chorus helps in telling us what is going on and provides eloquent ways of telling us things. The Chorus even has moments that they are lamenting and wishing for home, just like Iphigenia. How does the presence of the Chorus of women help with the development of the story? Do we catch a glimpse of what these women are feeling as well? If so, how and when? When Orestes leaves with Iphigenia, do you think these women long to be with them and do you think they are hopeful about being returned to their homeland? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the play to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus there is a theme of family. We can see Iphigenia's love for her family through her sorrow, pain, and joy. What moments in the story bring Iphigenia sorrow, pain, and misery concerning her family? What parts in the story bring Iphigenia joy concerning her family? Use specific examples from the story to support your answers. Why do you think family is so important to Iphigenia? Do you think the love of her family has grown more because of her absence? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)