|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
2. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
3. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
4. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
5. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
2. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
3. What is Iphigenia's reaction when she finds out that her mother killed her father?
4. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
5. What is Orestes' mission that Apollo sent him to complete?
6. What do Orestes and Pylades finally decide to do after they have spoken of how to get into the temple?
7. What final proof does Orestes provide Iphigenia with to let her know that he is indeed her brother?
8. What does Iphigenia promise she will do after Orestes has been sacrificed?
9. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
10. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athena, the goddess of reason, appears at the end of the play, Iphigenia in Taurus. What significance does she play in the story? Why did Athena step in to help Orestes and Iphigenia? What other appearance does Athena make in the story, besides the ending? Do you think she felt like she had to finally free Orestes because she wasn't able to do it fully at his trial? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, there is a parallel drawn between Orestes and Iphigenia being brother and sister and Artemis and Apollo being brother and sister. The play consists of examples of love being shown between each set of brother and sister. What is a parallel and why do you think Euripides included this particular parallel in the story? Do you think either Artemis or Apollo was more sympathetic towards Orestes or Iphigenia because they had a similar relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Iphigenia in Taurus, who do you consider to be the protagonist of the story? What kind of obstacles does this character face or overcome? Do you think there could be more than one person that people would see as a protagonist of this story? Why or why not? Who or what would be considered to be the antagonists in the story? How does the protagonist grow and learn from their experiences in the story? Use specific examples throughout the story to support your answers.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)