|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Iphigenia's dream, where does she dream that she has escaped to live?
2. After Iphigenia talks about her dream and exits, who appears from the shore?
3. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
4. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
5. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
2. What happened to the messenger and guards when they tried to hold fast to Iphigenia and prevent Orestes from taking her onto his ship?
3. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
4. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
5. What question does Iphigenia ask Orestes in Part 3 that she longs to ask him?
6. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
7. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
8. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
9. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
10. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, how does Iphigenia remember Orestes at the time she was taken away to be sacrificed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus, Euripides includes a group that is known as the Chorus. The story does not tell us which member of the Chorus is speaking, but just groups them together as one. Who does the Chorus consist of and what significance do the play in the story? Why do you think the Chorus is always grouped together? What benefit to the reader does the Chorus provide? How does the Chorus enhance the story of Iphigenia in Taurus? Explain your answer and provide specific instances from the story to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, the theme of betrayal is evident when we learn of Iphigenia's father, Agamemnon, betraying his own daughter. How does Agamemnon betray others that he loves during this time? Do you think Agamemnon felt sorry for what happened to his daughter? Later on, Agamemnon is betrayed. By who? Do you think Euripides used the betrayal of Iphigenia by her father as a kind of foreshadowing of another betrayal yet to come? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Iphigenia in Taurus, who do you consider to be the protagonist of the story? What kind of obstacles does this character face or overcome? Do you think there could be more than one person that people would see as a protagonist of this story? Why or why not? Who or what would be considered to be the antagonists in the story? How does the protagonist grow and learn from their experiences in the story? Use specific examples throughout the story to support your answers.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)