|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
2. Who snatched Iphigenia from the altar from which she was to be sacrificed?
3. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
4. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
5. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening scene of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
2. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes about her plan to send a letter back with either Pylades or himself, why does she tell Orestes that she feels like he must surely be from royal stock?
4. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
5. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
6. In the opening of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia first begin telling us?
7. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
8. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
9. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
10. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
Essay Topic 1
When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas about the purification rituals she'll have to perform on Orestes, Pylades, and the statue of Artemis, she is confident in what she is telling him even though it is not the truth. Do you think Iphigenia had a lot of courage to lie to the King, or do you think it was easy for her to lie to him? Why do you think King Thoas trusted Iphigenia so fully? When Thoas was preparing his guardsmen to seize and capture Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia from their ship, why did the appearance of Athena stop him? Do you think all the mortal characters in the play were fully trusting of all the gods? Why or why not? If not, who do you think did not trust what the gods were about? Explain your reasoning and use specific examples from the play to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story of Iphigenia in Taurus there is a theme of family. We can see Iphigenia's love for her family through her sorrow, pain, and joy. What moments in the story bring Iphigenia sorrow, pain, and misery concerning her family? What parts in the story bring Iphigenia joy concerning her family? Use specific examples from the story to support your answers. Why do you think family is so important to Iphigenia? Do you think the love of her family has grown more because of her absence? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Iphigenia in Taurus, it begins by Iphigenia telling of a dream she had about what she perceives as the death of her brother, Orestes. How does the realization that she might be the last person from her family affect Iphagenia's attitude? What change does Iphigenia's demeanor seem to take after she has learned that her brother, Orestes, might be dead? If Orestes was indeed dead in the story, how do you think Iphigenia's attitude would have continued to change during the duration of the story?
This section contains 2,649 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)