|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The image in the temple.
(b) The swords on the ground.
(c) The rocks in the field of cattle.
(d) The altar.
2. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
(a) He came after the herdsman.
(b) He stabbed the ground.
(c) He threw it out into the sea.
(d) He started stabbing the cattle.
3. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
(a) Inside the temple.
(b) To her bedroom.
(c) To the seashore.
(d) To the field with the cattle.
4. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To put them on a trail.
(b) To toss them into the sea.
(c) To have a feast.
(d) To sacrifice them.
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
(a) Her brother's lips.
(b) Her father's lips.
(c) Her mother's lips.
(d) Her sister's lips.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 3, who tells Iphigenia that they need no tears from her?
2. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
3. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
4. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
5. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
2. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
3. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is the first person to enter the scene and what are they concerned with?
4. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
6. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
7. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
8. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
9. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
10. What final proof does Orestes provide Iphigenia with to let her know that he is indeed her brother?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)