|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
(a) Artemis is Apollo's grandmother.
(b) Artemis is Apollo's mother.
(c) Artemis is Apollo's sister.
(d) Artemis is Apollo's aunt.
2. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) On their ship.
(b) Under some rocks.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In the caves.
3. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(c) The Chorus.
4. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
(a) If he will offer Pylades' life in return.
(b) Deliver a letter to Argos.
(c) Tell her who he really is.
(d) If he will pray to Artemis for her release.
5. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(a) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Achilles' father?
2. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
3. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
4. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
5. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
2. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas asks Iphigenia what they should do with the two young men. Why does King Thoas ask Iphigenia this, and what is Iphigenia's reply?
3. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
4. What do Orestes and Pylades finally decide to do after they have spoken of how to get into the temple?
5. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
6. What is Orestes' mission that Apollo sent him to complete?
7. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
8. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
9. Why does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the young strangers need to be cleansed?
10. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)