|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will hide him and then help him escape.
(b) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
(c) She will marry him.
(d) She will set him free.
2. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(d) Her father.
3. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
(a) That they are comrades.
(b) That they are twin brothers.
(c) That they are brothers in love, but not blood.
(d) That they are just friends.
4. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is in Troy.
(b) That Helen is dead.
(c) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(d) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
5. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(b) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
(c) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(d) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
2. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
3. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
4. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the herdsman tell Iphigenia that he captured the two young strangers?
2. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
3. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
4. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
5. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
6. Describe the opening scene of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
7. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
8. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
9. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia asks that two different things happen that involve cloaks. What are those two things?
10. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)