|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking of Orestes being sacrificed, Iphigenia tells Orestes that she will use what to quench his ashes?
(a) Rose water.
(b) The juice of grapes.
(c) Sea water.
(d) Olive oil.
2. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
3. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) The image from the pedestal.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(d) The ropes binding the swords.
4. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
(b) His mother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
2. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
3. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
4. After Iphigenia talks about her dream and exits, who appears from the shore?
5. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
2. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
3. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
4. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
5. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
6. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
7. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
8. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what story does he claim Iphigenia wove in her loom?
9. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
10. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is the first person to enter the scene and what are they concerned with?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)