|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
(a) The Willing.
(b) The Unfortunate.
(c) The Sad.
(d) The Brave.
2. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
(b) Because she was taken from her family.
(c) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
(d) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
3. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
(a) Because she helps "sail men's body to sea".
(b) Because she helps "drench an altar with blood of travelers".
(c) Because she "lures men in only to kill them".
(d) Because she "sings a song of death".
4. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
5. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) The two young men that came by ship.
(b) Iphigenia herself.
(c) A member of his own herdsman.
(d) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's father?
2. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
3. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
4. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
5. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
2. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about Agamemnon, why does Orestes avoid the questioning?
3. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
4. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas asks Iphigenia what they should do with the two young men. Why does King Thoas ask Iphigenia this, and what is Iphigenia's reply?
5. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
6. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
7. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reaction does the king have and why?
8. In the opening of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia first begin telling us?
9. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
10. In Part 4, when Iphigenia is telling Pylades the contents of her letter, why does Pylades tell Iphigenia that she has bound him with an easy oath?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)