|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(a) Steal some horses.
(b) Kill someone.
(c) Run away.
2. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
(a) Her mother's lips.
(b) Her sister's lips.
(c) Her father's lips.
(d) Her brother's lips.
3. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(b) Achilles' love.
(c) Helen's treachery.
(d) Her father's villainy.
4. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(b) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(c) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(d) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
5. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
2. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
3. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
4. Who snatched Iphigenia from the altar from which she was to be sacrificed?
5. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
2. What does Orestes request Pylades do for him when he returns home?
3. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
4. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
5. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
6. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
7. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what story does he claim Iphigenia wove in her loom?
8. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
9. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia asks that two different things happen that involve cloaks. What are those two things?
10. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)