|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The altar.
(b) The image in the temple.
(c) The rocks in the field of cattle.
(d) The swords on the ground.
2. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
3. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To sacrifice them.
(b) To put them on a trail.
(c) To have a feast.
(d) To toss them into the sea.
4. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(c) King Thoas.
(d) A herdsman.
5. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
2. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
3. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
4. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
2. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia are escaping on begins to be pushed backwards towards land, what do the crew and Iphigenia start to do?
3. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
4. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
5. What final proof does Orestes provide Iphigenia with to let her know that he is indeed her brother?
6. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
7. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
8. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
9. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
10. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)