|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
2. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) The image from the pedestal.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(d) The ropes binding the swords.
3. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will marry him.
(b) She will set him free.
(c) She will hide him and then help him escape.
(d) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
4. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(a) His father.
(b) King Thoas.
(d) The Gods.
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
2. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
3. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
4. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
5. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
2. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
3. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
4. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
5. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
6. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
7. In Part 6, even though Iphigenia has left Artemis' temple, she prays to Artemis and asks for her protection and help. Why does Iphigenia feel like Artemis will still understand her and listen to her heartfelt prayers?
8. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
9. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
10. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes about her plan to send a letter back with either Pylades or himself, why does she tell Orestes that she feels like he must surely be from royal stock?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)