|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
(a) Her father, Agamemnon.
(b) Her brother, Orestes.
(c) Her sister, Electra.
(d) Her betrothed, Achilles.
2. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her understanding of war.
(b) Her labors in the field.
(c) Her service in the temple.
(d) The hand of Fate.
3. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
(a) Because she helps "drench an altar with blood of travelers".
(b) Because she "lures men in only to kill them".
(c) Because she "sings a song of death".
(d) Because she helps "sail men's body to sea".
4. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
5. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(a) Her sword.
(b) Her good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
2. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
3. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
4. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
5. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
2. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
3. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
4. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
5. What is Iphigenia's reaction when she finds out that her mother killed her father?
6. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
7. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
8. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
9. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
10. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)