|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(a) Achilles' love.
(b) Helen's treachery.
(c) Her father's villainy.
2. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Pigs of Hellas.
(b) Servants of Hellas.
(c) Sheep of Hellas.
(d) Horses of Hellas.
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her family.
(d) Her friends.
4. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(b) The Chorus.
5. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That she has heard of Hellas.
(b) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
(c) That she knows someone from Hellas.
(d) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
2. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
3. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
4. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
5. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
2. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does the messenger tell the King that makes him a little uneasy?
3. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
4. In Part 6, the messenger tells the King that after Iphigenia got onto the ship safely and the ship was on its way, he heard a ringing voice. What did the voice say?
5. What final proof does Orestes provide Iphigenia with to let her know that he is indeed her brother?
6. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
7. In Part 3, after the guards have entered the temple and Iphigenia is alone with the two young strangers, what does she begin asking them about?
8. Describe the dream that Iphigenia has.
9. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
10. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)