|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
2. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(b) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(c) That Helen is in Troy.
(d) That Helen is dead.
3. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By fire.
(d) By reading them a sacred poem.
4. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) In the temple.
(b) Under some rocks.
(c) On their ship.
(d) In the caves.
5. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The swords on the ground.
(b) The altar.
(c) The rocks in the field of cattle.
(d) The image in the temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the king of the Taurian country?
2. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
4. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
5. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
2. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
3. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
4. Iphigenia talks to the Chorus about her ill fate and how she has had it from the beginning of her existence. She tells the Chorus that she cannot join in the "Argive Hymn to Hera" but that she celebrates rites "unfit for song". What rites is she speaking of and why are they unfit for song?
5. In the beginning of Part 2, who has just exited the scene, who enters the scene, and from where do they enter?
6. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
7. In Part 5, why does King Thoas agree to not question why Iphigenia will take so long with the purification process?
8. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, how does Iphigenia remember Orestes at the time she was taken away to be sacrificed?
9. Why does Orestes claim he is an outcast?
10. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)