|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's father?
2. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
(d) The underworld.
3. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
(d) The Furies.
4. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(a) Her sword.
(c) Her good luck.
5. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(a) Achilles' love.
(c) Her father's villainy.
(d) Helen's treachery.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
2. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
3. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
4. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
5. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
2. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
3. What happened to the messenger and guards when they tried to hold fast to Iphigenia and prevent Orestes from taking her onto his ship?
4. In Part 3, after the guards have entered the temple and Iphigenia is alone with the two young strangers, what does she begin asking them about?
5. Why does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the young strangers need to be cleansed?
6. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
7. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
8. What final proof does Orestes provide Iphigenia with to let her know that he is indeed her brother?
9. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
10. Describe the dream that Iphigenia has.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)