|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Purple rocks.
(b) Jagged rocks.
(c) Smooth rocks.
(d) Clashing rocks.
2. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
3. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
(a) A horse.
(b) A deer.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A pig.
4. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(b) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(c) That he does not live.
(d) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
5. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
(a) For the wing-like swiftness of his feet.
(b) Because of his wealth.
(c) For the quickness of his sword.
(d) For his great wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
2. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
3. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
4. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
5. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
2. How does the herdsman tell Iphigenia that he captured the two young strangers?
3. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
4. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
5. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
6. In Part 4, when Iphigenia is telling Pylades the contents of her letter, why does Pylades tell Iphigenia that she has bound him with an easy oath?
7. In Part 6, even though Iphigenia has left Artemis' temple, she prays to Artemis and asks for her protection and help. Why does Iphigenia feel like Artemis will still understand her and listen to her heartfelt prayers?
8. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
9. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
10. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia relates a story to King Thoas concerning the image of Artemis. What does she tell King Thoas about?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)