|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
2. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she was taken from her family.
(b) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
(c) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
(d) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
3. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
(a) That they are twin brothers.
(b) That they are just friends.
(c) That they are comrades.
(d) That they are brothers in love, but not blood.
4. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
(a) Her sister's lips.
(b) Her mother's lips.
(c) Her father's lips.
(d) Her brother's lips.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
2. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
3. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
4. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
5. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
2. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
3. What does Iphigenia promise she will do after Orestes has been sacrificed?
4. When Orestes is speaking to Pylades about the plan for Pylades to take the letter back for Iphigenia, how does Pylades respond?
5. In Part 5, why does King Thoas agree to not question why Iphigenia will take so long with the purification process?
6. How does the herdsman tell Iphigenia that he captured the two young strangers?
7. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
8. In Part 3, after the guards have entered the temple and Iphigenia is alone with the two young strangers, what does she begin asking them about?
9. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
10. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)