|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
(a) A deer.
(b) A pig.
(c) A horse.
(d) A lamb.
2. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(c) Her father.
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
(a) Her love.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her sister.
4. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(c) Temple attendants.
5. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Purple rocks.
(b) Jagged rocks.
(c) Clashing rocks.
(d) Smooth rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
2. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
3. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
5. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
2. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
3. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes about her plan to send a letter back with either Pylades or himself, why does she tell Orestes that she feels like he must surely be from royal stock?
5. In Part 3, after the guards have entered the temple and Iphigenia is alone with the two young strangers, what does she begin asking them about?
6. Describe the opening scene of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
7. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
8. In Part 6, even though Iphigenia has left Artemis' temple, she prays to Artemis and asks for her protection and help. Why does Iphigenia feel like Artemis will still understand her and listen to her heartfelt prayers?
9. Why does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the young strangers need to be cleansed?
10. In the opening of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia first begin telling us?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)