|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's father?
2. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) In the caves.
(b) Under some rocks.
(c) In the temple.
(d) On their ship.
3. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By reading them a sacred poem.
(d) By fire.
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
5. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(b) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(c) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(d) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
2. In Iphigenia's dream, where does she dream that she has escaped to live?
3. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
4. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
5. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
2. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
3. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
4. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
5. In Part 6, the messenger tells the King that after Iphigenia got onto the ship safely and the ship was on its way, he heard a ringing voice. What did the voice say?
6. What does Iphigenia think her dream means?
7. In Part 6, even though Iphigenia has left Artemis' temple, she prays to Artemis and asks for her protection and help. Why does Iphigenia feel like Artemis will still understand her and listen to her heartfelt prayers?
8. Describe the opening scene of Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
9. In Part 3, what does Orestes refuse to tell Iphigenia, and why?
10. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about Agamemnon, why does Orestes avoid the questioning?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)