|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Servants of Hellas.
(b) Sheep of Hellas.
(c) Horses of Hellas.
(d) Pigs of Hellas.
2. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
3. Who is Iphigenia's father?
4. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) Orestes' ship.
(b) Taurus castle.
(c) Iphigenia's room.
(d) The temple of Artemis.
5. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By reading them a sacred poem.
(c) By having them pray to Artemis.
(d) By fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
2. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
3. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
5. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 5, why does King Thoas agree to not question why Iphigenia will take so long with the purification process?
2. Describe how Iphigenia was saved from death.
3. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
4. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
5. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about Agamemnon, why does Orestes avoid the questioning?
6. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
7. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does Iphigenia tell Orestes that she'll use their misfortune to deceive the king?
8. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
9. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia asks that two different things happen that involve cloaks. What are those two things?
10. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)