|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(b) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(c) That Helen is in Troy.
(d) That Helen is dead.
2. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
(a) Because she "lures men in only to kill them".
(b) Because she helps "drench an altar with blood of travelers".
(c) Because she "sings a song of death".
(d) Because she helps "sail men's body to sea".
3. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Servants of Hellas.
(b) Sheep of Hellas.
(c) Pigs of Hellas.
(d) Horses of Hellas.
4. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) Taurus castle.
(b) Orestes' ship.
(c) The temple of Artemis.
(d) Iphigenia's room.
5. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
(b) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
(c) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(d) She prepares the swords.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
2. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
3. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
4. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does the messenger not leave when the Chorus tells him that the King is not there at the temple?
2. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
3. In Part 4, when Iphigenia is telling Pylades the contents of her letter, why does Pylades tell Iphigenia that she has bound him with an easy oath?
4. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
5. In Part 2 of Iphigenia of Taurus, why does Iphigenia claim she is cruel now, and what does she say has made her that way?
6. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reason does Iphigenia give for binding the stranger's arms with cords?
7. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what reaction does the king have and why?
8. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
9. When Iphigenia enters from the central door of the temple in the beginning of Part 2, why does she say she is sunk in "bitter tears and deep distress"?
10. When Iphigenia tells Orestes what her plan is for sending her letter back, what does Orestes say to her about a change in plans, and why does he want to change Iphigenia's plans?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)