|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking of Orestes being sacrificed, Iphigenia tells Orestes that she will use what to quench his ashes?
(a) Olive oil.
(b) Rose water.
(c) Sea water.
(d) The juice of grapes.
2. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
(a) The statue of Artemis.
(b) A dead corpse.
(c) A shield from Apollo.
(d) King Thoas' armor.
3. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
4. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By fire.
(b) By reading them a sacred poem.
(c) By having them pray to Artemis.
(d) By casting water on their heads.
5. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(b) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
(c) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(d) Friend, ship, family, and country.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
2. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
3. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
5. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Orestes and Iphigenia have concerning Odysseus during Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus.
2. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
3. What is Iphigenia's reaction when she finds out that her mother killed her father?
4. What happened to the messenger and guards when they tried to hold fast to Iphigenia and prevent Orestes from taking her onto his ship?
5. When Iphigenia is telling about her sorrow, what does she say she can't do for her brother, Orestes?
6. What plan does Iphigenia devise to make sure her message gets to its destination if the letter is lost or taken?
7. Why does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the young strangers need to be cleansed?
8. Iphigenia explains in Part 2 that the men in her homeland already know her fate. What do they think has happened to Iphigenia?
9. Describe the dream that Iphigenia has.
10. What do Orestes and Pylades finally decide to do after they have spoken of how to get into the temple?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)