|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(b) At the break of dawn.
(d) In the night.
2. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he does not live.
(b) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(c) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(d) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
3. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
4. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Servants of Hellas.
(b) Horses of Hellas.
(c) Sheep of Hellas.
(d) Pigs of Hellas.
5. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(b) Temple attendants.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
2. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
3. Who is Achilles' father?
4. In Iphigenia's dream, where does she dream that she has escaped to live?
5. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gave birth to Artemis and Apollo and what did she do after their birth?
2. What are some of the ways that Orestes and Pylades contemplate entering the temple?
3. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
4. How does the herdsman describe Orestes and Pylades to Iphigenia in Part 2 ?
5. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, King Thoas asks Iphigenia what they should do with the two young men. Why does King Thoas ask Iphigenia this, and what is Iphigenia's reply?
6. What is Orestes' mission that Apollo sent him to complete?
7. In Part 6, the messenger tells the King that after Iphigenia got onto the ship safely and the ship was on its way, he heard a ringing voice. What did the voice say?
8. When the messenger enters the scene in Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, he ignores the Chorus and eagerly seeks out King Thoas. Why does he do this?
9. What does the herdsman tell Iphigenia the young stranger's insane fit looked like?
10. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, why does King Thoas tell Iphigenia that it is natural that the city honors her?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)