|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
2. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
(a) To sing a song.
(b) That she find the young men suitable for sacrificing.
(c) To find out who the strangers are.
(d) That the rites of Artemis be duly ordered.
3. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) An unfriendly sea.
(b) A blue sea.
(c) A raging sea.
(d) A cold sea.
4. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(b) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(c) That Helen is in Troy.
(d) That Helen is dead.
5. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) In the temple.
(b) In the caves.
(c) Under some rocks.
(d) On their ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
2. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
3. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
4. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
5. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6, even though Iphigenia has left Artemis' temple, she prays to Artemis and asks for her protection and help. Why does Iphigenia feel like Artemis will still understand her and listen to her heartfelt prayers?
2. Describe how Iphigenia was saved from death.
3. At the end of Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who follows with the procession and how they go into the temple? Why did those that went into the temple go back into the temple?
4. When Iphigenia first finds out that Orestes and Pylades are from her homeland, what plan does she come up with?
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the messenger tells the King about the escape of Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia. After the messenger tells the King about the escape, he tells the King that he'll be even more surprised by what other news he has tell him. What is the other news that will surprise the King even more?
6. When the messenger and guards had sat waiting for Iphigenia to perform the purification process in Part 6, they finally became worried about what was taking so long. What did they think could have happened to Iphigenia?
7. In Part 1, what does Iphigenia claim her father vowed to Artemis?
8. After Orestes finishes telling Pylades what he would like him to do when he goes back home, what is Pylades reply?
9. In Part 2, what does Iphigenia say was happening while her father was bringing her to her death?
10. In Part 3, after the guards have entered the temple and Iphigenia is alone with the two young strangers, what does she begin asking them about?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)