|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their father.
2. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
(a) Her own tears.
(b) The holy water in the temple.
(c) The sea.
(d) Fire from the holy temple.
3. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(b) To build a tomb.
(c) To remember him.
(d) To build a home.
4. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
5. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple and is speaking with King Thoas in Part 5, what does she ask the Gods to guard them from?
6. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All murderers.
(b) All rituals.
(c) All pollution.
(d) All strangers.
7. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are nowhere in sight.
(b) That they have fled the country.
(c) That they are coming back to the temple.
(d) That they are trapped in a cave.
8. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
9. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The messenger.
(c) King Thoas.
10. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
11. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To build a shrine.
(b) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(c) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
(d) To find a wife to wed.
12. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
(b) Sea foam-white.
13. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
14. When Iphigenia tells the King that the young strangers were trying to win her heart, who does she claim the strangers told her about?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
15. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
(a) Hands and Feet.
(b) Rocks and Hands.
(c) Feet and Rocks.
(d) Fists and Feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Thoas is speaking of Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, he states that they have a long hard voyage before them if they hope to do what?
2. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
3. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
4. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
5. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)