|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) Two young lambs.
(b) A young calf.
(c) A pure white dove.
(d) Three chickens.
2. When Thoas is speaking of Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, he states that they have a long hard voyage before them if they hope to do what?
(a) Kill his priestess.
(b) Take his image from the temple.
(c) Kidnap his priestess.
(d) Escape his sword.
3. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(b) That the strangers remain unbound.
(c) That the strangers do not know where they are.
(d) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
4. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia have escaped to begins to be driven backward towards the land, what does Iphigenia start to do?
(a) Pray to Artemis.
(b) Cry and wail to her brother.
(c) Sing to the Gods.
(d) Help row the oars across the seawaters.
5. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking about sending Iphigenia's letter back home, who does Iphigenia say will see Pylades on board the ship?
(a) Some favored guards.
(b) Iphigenia, herself.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) A trusted herdsman.
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To tell everyone about him.
(b) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
(c) To go home to his wife and bear children.
(d) To build an image of him.
7. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(b) The Furies.
8. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
9. Who are Artemis' parents?
(a) Apollo and Athena.
(b) Apollo and Leto.
(c) Zeus and Leto.
(d) Zeus and Athena.
10. What does King Thoas tell Iphigenia he thinks the young strangers have done?
(a) Killed a soldier.
(b) Killed one of his people.
(c) Hidden from their king.
(d) Escaped from prison.
11. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To build a shrine.
(b) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
(c) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(d) To find a wife to wed.
12. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(b) A serpent in the brush.
(c) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
(d) The foam from the waves.
13. At the end of Part 5, what does Iphigenia do right before the procession forms?
(a) She raises her arms to Zeus.
(b) She raises the image.
(c) She calls out Artemis' name.
(d) She calls to King Thoas.
14. Who is Pylades' father?
15. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(d) The Chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
2. When Iphigenia tells the King that the young strangers were trying to win her heart, who does she claim the strangers told her about?
3. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
4. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
5. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)