|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
2. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas he must do when the men come from the temple?
(a) Read them their rights.
(b) Pray to Artemis for their cleanliness.
(c) Hold his cloak before his eyes.
(d) Follow them to the sea.
3. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) One member of The Chorus.
(b) King Thoas.
(d) One of the temple attendants.
4. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(b) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
(c) To find a wife to wed.
(d) To build a shrine.
5. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
(c) Her father.
6. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
(a) A piece of her hair.
(b) The old spear that Pelops hurled.
(c) Her dressing gown that she used to wear.
(d) Her favorite book about the family throne.
7. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
(a) She could hear the Furies.
(b) The holy image turned away.
(c) She saw it in their eyes.
(d) Artemis whispered their wrongdoings to her.
8. When the messenger is telling King Thoas about the escape of the prisoners, what does he tell the King that Iphigenia did to make them think she was busy with the ceremony?
(a) She burned a haystack.
(b) She gave a piercing cry.
(c) She chanted hymns.
(d) She splashed loudly in the sea.
9. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
(a) A rose.
(b) A locket.
(c) A drop of holy water.
(d) A lock of hair.
10. Who is Pylades' father?
11. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
12. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas about the holy image moving on the pedestal, King Thoas explains the movement as what happening?
(a) Her eyes deceiving her.
(b) The earth shaking.
(c) The movement of Artemis, herself.
(d) The temple falling.
13. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(c) The Furies.
14. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
(a) A sword.
(b) The cords that bind the strangers.
(c) The image of Artemis.
(d) Her letter.
15. In the beginning of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does the Chorus address by saying, "A voyage of tears awaits you"?
(c) The guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
2. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
3. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
4. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
5. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)