|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple, where does she ask King Thoas to stand?
(a) By the pillars.
(b) At the door.
(c) At the altar.
(d) By the image of Artemis.
2. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The fires on the city gates.
(b) The temple laterns.
(c) The red sun.
(d) The strangers' bodies.
3. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
(a) Because Iphigenia tells him they are foul with kindred blood.
(b) Because they are strange to him.
(c) Because he recognizes them.
(d) Because he always wants to know who is being sacrificed at all times.
4. After the Chorus finishes their hymn in the beginning of Part 6, who enters the scene?
(b) A messenger.
5. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(a) The Chorus.
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
(b) The Chorus.
7. When the messenger is telling King Thoas about the escape of the prisoners, what does he tell the King that Iphigenia did to make them think she was busy with the ceremony?
(a) She splashed loudly in the sea.
(b) She gave a piercing cry.
(c) She chanted hymns.
(d) She burned a haystack.
8. Besides the young strangers, what else does Iphigenia tell King Thoas she must purify?
(b) The image of Artemis.
(c) The king.
(d) Their ship.
9. Iphigenia tells King Thoas in Part 5 that the citizens must do what during the purification ritual?
(a) Remain inside their houses.
(c) Throw rocks at the strangers.
(d) Pray to Artemis.
10. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
(a) So people cannot see them.
(b) So the Gods will only know their identity.
(c) To show reverance for the sun's pure light.
(d) To protect the citizens from harm.
11. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
(a) That Iphigenia is still hiding amongst the caves.
(b) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to save Orestes.
(c) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to live in Athens.
(d) That Iphigenia is gone because she was kidnapped by Orestes and Pylades.
12. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(b) To remember him.
(c) To build a tomb.
(d) To build a home.
13. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All pollution.
(b) All rituals.
(c) All strangers.
(d) All murderers.
14. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
(b) Her father.
15. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple and is speaking with King Thoas in Part 5, what does she ask the Gods to guard them from?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
2. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
3. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas he must do when the men come from the temple?
4. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)