|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
2. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
(b) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(c) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
(d) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
3. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas about the holy image moving on the pedestal, King Thoas explains the movement as what happening?
(a) The movement of Artemis, herself.
(b) The earth shaking.
(c) The temple falling.
(d) Her eyes deceiving her.
4. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
5. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
(a) Sea foam-white.
6. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
(a) Orestes and Iphigenia.
(b) Orestes and Pylades.
(c) His guards.
7. Who does the Chorus mention drove Themis from the holy seat of Pytho?
8. Which Mount did the mother of Artemis and Apollo bring them to?
(a) Mount Hellena.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(c) Mount Pela.
(d) Mount Parnassus.
9. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
(d) The Chorus.
10. What does King Thoas tell Iphigenia he thinks the young strangers have done?
(a) Hidden from their king.
(b) Killed one of his people.
(c) Escaped from prison.
(d) Killed a soldier.
11. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
(a) So people cannot see them.
(b) To protect the citizens from harm.
(c) So the Gods will only know their identity.
(d) To show reverance for the sun's pure light.
12. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Protected folds.
(b) Several folds.
(c) One piece of golden paper.
(d) Artemis' prayer.
13. In Part 6, who says, "I never trust a word a woman says"?
(c) King Thoas.
(d) The messenger.
14. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Green Hills.
(b) The Purple Rocks.
(c) The Golden horizon.
(d) The Orange sun waves.
15. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The red sun.
(b) The fires on the city gates.
(c) The strangers' bodies.
(d) The temple laterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
2. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
3. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
4. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
5. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)