|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 6, who says, "I never trust a word a woman says"?
(b) The messenger.
(d) King Thoas.
2. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
(a) Sea foam-white.
3. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) A pure white dove.
(b) A young calf.
(c) Two young lambs.
(d) Three chickens.
4. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
5. When the messenger finishes telling the Chorus about the two young men, what do they tell the messenger concerning the King?
(a) That the King is mourning.
(b) That the King is at a citizen's home.
(c) That the King is inside the temple.
(d) That the King has left the temple.
6. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
(a) Because he recognizes them.
(b) Because Iphigenia tells him they are foul with kindred blood.
(c) Because he always wants to know who is being sacrificed at all times.
(d) Because they are strange to him.
7. In the opening of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "this is no cause for joy, when death parts friend from friend"?
(b) The Chorus.
8. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
(a) Wooden tusks.
(b) Lightning rods.
(c) A pair of wings.
(d) Arms across the ocean.
9. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
10. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All pollution.
(b) All strangers.
(c) All rituals.
(d) All murderers.
11. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
(a) The messenger.
(c) King Thoas.
(d) The Chorus.
12. Who are Artemis' parents?
(a) Zeus and Athena.
(b) Apollo and Leto.
(c) Apollo and Athena.
(d) Zeus and Leto.
13. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
(a) The Chorus.
14. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas he must do when the men come from the temple?
(a) Read them their rights.
(b) Pray to Artemis for their cleanliness.
(c) Hold his cloak before his eyes.
(d) Follow them to the sea.
15. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(a) The Furies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
2. When Pylades is telling Orestes in Part 4 that he will not leave Orestes behind to be sacrificed by himself, he tells Orestes that he will give his body along with Orestes to what two things?
3. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
4. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
5. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking about sending Iphigenia's letter back home, who does Iphigenia say will see Pylades on board the ship?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)