|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pylades is telling Orestes in Part 4 that he will not leave Orestes behind to be sacrificed by himself, he tells Orestes that he will give his body along with Orestes to what two things?
(a) The fire and water.
(b) The knife and fire.
(c) The knife and sword.
(d) The sword and water.
2. Who is Pylades' father?
3. When the messenger finishes telling the Chorus about the two young men, what do they tell the messenger concerning the King?
(a) That the King is inside the temple.
(b) That the King has left the temple.
(c) That the King is at a citizen's home.
(d) That the King is mourning.
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are devising a plan to escape Taurus, what does Orestes suggest they do to the king?
(a) Kidnap him.
(b) Sneak past him.
(c) Assassinate him.
(d) Overthrow him.
5. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(c) The Furies.
6. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
(a) Her letter.
(b) The cords that bind the strangers.
(c) A sword.
(d) The image of Artemis.
7. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
(a) The rocks.
(b) The altar of sacrifice.
8. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All murderers.
(b) All pollution.
(c) All strangers.
(d) All rituals.
9. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
(a) Wooden tusks.
(b) A pair of wings.
(c) Arms across the ocean.
(d) Lightning rods.
10. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) One piece of golden paper.
(b) Several folds.
(c) Protected folds.
(d) Artemis' prayer.
11. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(c) The Chorus.
12. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
13. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A locket.
(c) A rose.
(d) A drop of holy water.
14. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
(a) The sword.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The lyre.
(d) The harp.
15. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(b) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
(c) That the strangers do not know where they are.
(d) That the strangers remain unbound.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger is telling the King about Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, who does he tell the King came up on the troop and drove them back?
2. When King Thoas learns what the young strangers have done, who does he claim would recoil from that type of action?
3. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
5. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)