|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(c) The Chorus.
2. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are trapped in a cave.
(b) That they have fled the country.
(c) That they are coming back to the temple.
(d) That they are nowhere in sight.
3. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
(a) The Taurian King.
(c) The guards.
(d) The Chorus.
4. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers do not know where they are.
(b) That the strangers remain unbound.
(c) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(d) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
5. In Part 6, who says, "I never trust a word a woman says"?
(b) The messenger.
(d) King Thoas.
6. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) One of the temple attendants.
(c) One member of The Chorus.
7. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
(c) The Chorus.
8. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(b) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
(c) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
(d) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
9. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Purple Rocks.
(b) The Green Hills.
(c) The Orange sun waves.
(d) The Golden horizon.
10. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
(b) The Chorus.
11. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
(a) The old spear that Pelops hurled.
(b) A piece of her hair.
(c) Her favorite book about the family throne.
(d) Her dressing gown that she used to wear.
12. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(d) The Furies.
13. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The well-aimed bow.
(b) The quick sword.
(c) The furious flying arrows.
(d) The planted seed.
14. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
(a) Fists and Feet.
(b) Feet and Rocks.
(c) Rocks and Hands.
(d) Hands and Feet.
15. When Iphigenia is speaking with King Thoas about the image moving, she tells him that something else happened as well as the movement. What else does Iphigenia say happened with the image?
(a) It rocked back and forth and spoke.
(b) It raised its sword.
(c) Its eyelids closed.
(d) It fell.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia who he is, he speaks of two people that nursed a feud. Who are they?
2. Besides the young strangers, what else does Iphigenia tell King Thoas she must purify?
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
4. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
5. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)