|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the strangers did to win her heart?
(a) They forced her to agree with them.
(b) They threatened to kill someone.
(c) They held out pleasing bait.
(d) They kissed her.
2. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Wonder Mountain.
(b) Ares' Hill.
(c) Golden Mountain.
(d) Athena's Hill.
3. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
(b) To build an image of him.
(c) To tell everyone about him.
(d) To go home to his wife and bear children.
4. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(b) That the strangers remain unbound.
(c) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
(d) That the strangers do not know where they are.
5. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The furious flying arrows.
(b) The quick sword.
(c) The well-aimed bow.
(d) The planted seed.
6. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(d) The Chorus.
7. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas he must do when the men come from the temple?
(a) Follow them to the sea.
(b) Hold his cloak before his eyes.
(c) Pray to Artemis for their cleanliness.
(d) Read them their rights.
8. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) A young calf.
(b) Three chickens.
(c) Two young lambs.
(d) A pure white dove.
9. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Protected folds.
(b) Several folds.
(c) Artemis' prayer.
(d) One piece of golden paper.
10. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(b) To build a home.
(c) To remember him.
(d) To build a tomb.
11. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
(a) Wooden tusks.
(b) Lightning rods.
(c) A pair of wings.
(d) Arms across the ocean.
12. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
13. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
14. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
(a) The magic cloak of Athens.
(b) The secret sword of Zeus.
(c) The image of Apollo.
(d) The ancient oracle of the Earth.
15. When King Thoas learns what the young strangers have done, who does he claim would recoil from that type of action?
(a) A savage.
(d) A monstrous heathen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
2. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
3. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
4. After the Chorus finishes their hymn in the beginning of Part 6, who enters the scene?
5. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)