|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After King Thoas has ordered the guards to go towards the shore to try to capture the escapees and the guards make off toward the shore, who appears?
2. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
(a) Lightning rods.
(b) Wooden tusks.
(c) A pair of wings.
(d) Arms across the ocean.
3. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are trapped in a cave.
(b) That they have fled the country.
(c) That they are nowhere in sight.
(d) That they are coming back to the temple.
4. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
5. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) A serpent in the brush.
(b) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(c) The foam from the waves.
(d) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
6. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To build a shrine.
(b) To find a wife to wed.
(c) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
(d) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
7. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
8. Who kills the dragon that is mentioned in the hymn by the Chorus in Part 6?
9. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
10. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia who he is, he speaks of two people that nursed a feud. Who are they?
(a) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(b) Atreus and Thyestes.
(c) Achilles and Electra.
(d) Helen and Electra.
11. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
(a) Her own tears.
(b) The holy water in the temple.
(c) The sea.
(d) Fire from the holy temple.
12. When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas what must be done for purification of the sacrifices, he tells her that what two things are very proper?
(a) Her carefulness and swiftness.
(b) Her care and piety.
(c) Her love and purity.
(d) Her loyalty and concern.
13. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(b) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
(c) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
(d) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
14. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
15. When King Thoas learns what the young strangers have done, who does he claim would recoil from that type of action?
(a) A savage.
(d) A monstrous heathen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Orestes and Pylades out of the temple on their way to the purification ritual?
2. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
3. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
4. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
5. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)