|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) So he can hear the truth.
(b) Because he doesn't know what to say.
(c) So Orestes can ask questions.
(d) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
2. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
(b) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(c) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
(d) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
3. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
(c) Her father.
4. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
(a) Her mother.
5. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
(a) That it is unsafe to sacrifice these strangers.
(b) That Artemis does not want to sacrifice these men.
(c) That the strangers are Gods.
(d) That the strangers are tainted sacrifices.
6. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
(a) A piece of her hair.
(b) The old spear that Pelops hurled.
(c) Her dressing gown that she used to wear.
(d) Her favorite book about the family throne.
7. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Several folds.
(b) Artemis' prayer.
(c) Protected folds.
(d) One piece of golden paper.
8. Besides the young strangers, what else does Iphigenia tell King Thoas she must purify?
(a) The image of Artemis.
(b) The king.
(d) Their ship.
9. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) A pure white dove.
(b) Two young lambs.
(c) A young calf.
(d) Three chickens.
10. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(c) The Chorus.
11. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
(a) The holy image turned away.
(b) She could hear the Furies.
(c) She saw it in their eyes.
(d) Artemis whispered their wrongdoings to her.
12. Which Mount did the mother of Artemis and Apollo bring them to?
(a) Mount Parnassus.
(b) Mount Hellena.
(c) Mount Pela.
(d) Mount Olympus.
13. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
(a) Because he recognizes them.
(b) Because he always wants to know who is being sacrificed at all times.
(c) Because they are strange to him.
(d) Because Iphigenia tells him they are foul with kindred blood.
14. When Iphigenia questions Orestes about Argos in Part 4, who does Orestes say rules Argos?
15. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(b) Their mother.
(d) Their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
2. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
3. When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas what must be done for purification of the sacrifices, he tells her that what two things are very proper?
4. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
5. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)