|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(d) The Chorus.
2. At the opening of Part 5 of Iphigenia of Taurus, which single person enters the scene?
3. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(a) Their mother.
(d) Their father.
4. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
(a) To show reverance for the sun's pure light.
(b) So the Gods will only know their identity.
(c) So people cannot see them.
(d) To protect the citizens from harm.
5. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
(a) A rose.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A drop of holy water.
(d) A locket.
6. When Orestes and Iphigenia are devising a plan to escape Taurus, what does Orestes suggest they do to the king?
(a) Sneak past him.
(b) Overthrow him.
(c) Kidnap him.
(d) Assassinate him.
7. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple, where does she ask King Thoas to stand?
(a) At the altar.
(b) At the door.
(c) By the pillars.
(d) By the image of Artemis.
8. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
9. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
(b) So Orestes can ask questions.
(c) Because he doesn't know what to say.
(d) So he can hear the truth.
10. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
11. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To build an image of him.
(b) To tell everyone about him.
(c) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
(d) To go home to his wife and bear children.
12. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Wonder Mountain.
(b) Ares' Hill.
(c) Athena's Hill.
(d) Golden Mountain.
13. In the opening of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "this is no cause for joy, when death parts friend from friend"?
(c) The Chorus.
14. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
15. Who leads Orestes and Pylades out of the temple on their way to the purification ritual?
(b) Guards and temple attendants.
(c) King Thoas.
(d) The Chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
2. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
3. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
4. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
5. Who does the Chorus mention drove Themis from the holy seat of Pytho?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)