|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
(a) A woman.
(b) A heavenly sword.
(c) A family image.
(d) A golden lamb.
2. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To remember him.
(b) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(c) To build a home.
(d) To build a tomb.
3. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(c) The Chorus.
4. When the messenger is telling King Thoas about the escape of the prisoners, what does he tell the King that Iphigenia did to make them think she was busy with the ceremony?
(a) She burned a haystack.
(b) She gave a piercing cry.
(c) She splashed loudly in the sea.
(d) She chanted hymns.
5. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
(a) Fists and Feet.
(b) Feet and Rocks.
(c) Rocks and Hands.
(d) Hands and Feet.
6. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
(b) Orestes and Iphigenia.
(c) His guards.
(d) Orestes and Pylades.
7. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) King Thoas.
(c) One member of The Chorus.
(d) One of the temple attendants.
8. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(a) The Chorus.
9. When Thoas is speaking of Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, he states that they have a long hard voyage before them if they hope to do what?
(a) Kill his priestess.
(b) Take his image from the temple.
(c) Escape his sword.
(d) Kidnap his priestess.
10. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The red sun.
(b) The strangers' bodies.
(c) The temple laterns.
(d) The fires on the city gates.
11. In the opening of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "this is no cause for joy, when death parts friend from friend"?
(d) The Chorus.
12. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The quick sword.
(b) The furious flying arrows.
(c) The well-aimed bow.
(d) The planted seed.
13. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
(a) The Chorus.
(c) The guards.
(d) The Taurian King.
14. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) A serpent in the brush.
(b) The foam from the waves.
(c) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
(d) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
15. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Purple Rocks.
(b) The Green Hills.
(c) The Golden horizon.
(d) The Orange sun waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes and Pylades in Part 4 about taking her message back home, who does Iphigenia tell Pylades saved her from her father's hand?
2. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas about the holy image moving on the pedestal, King Thoas explains the movement as what happening?
3. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
4. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
5. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)