|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(a) Their father.
(d) Their mother.
2. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
(a) The harp.
(b) The lyre.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The sword.
3. In Part 6, what is the first stanza called that the Chorus recites in their poem?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
(a) She saw it in their eyes.
(b) Artemis whispered their wrongdoings to her.
(c) The holy image turned away.
(d) She could hear the Furies.
5. In Part 5, why does King Thoas have a "strong desire" to learn about the young men?
(a) Because Iphigenia tells him they are foul with kindred blood.
(b) Because he recognizes them.
(c) Because they are strange to him.
(d) Because he always wants to know who is being sacrificed at all times.
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) So he can hear the truth.
(b) Because he doesn't know what to say.
(c) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
(d) So Orestes can ask questions.
7. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking about sending Iphigenia's letter back home, who does Iphigenia say will see Pylades on board the ship?
(a) Some favored guards.
(b) A trusted herdsman.
(c) Iphigenia, herself.
(d) The Chorus.
8. When Pylades is telling Orestes in Part 4 that he will not leave Orestes behind to be sacrificed by himself, he tells Orestes that he will give his body along with Orestes to what two things?
(a) The sword and water.
(b) The fire and water.
(c) The knife and fire.
(d) The knife and sword.
9. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
10. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
(a) That the strangers are Gods.
(b) That the strangers are tainted sacrifices.
(c) That it is unsafe to sacrifice these strangers.
(d) That Artemis does not want to sacrifice these men.
11. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
(a) So people cannot see them.
(b) To show reverance for the sun's pure light.
(c) To protect the citizens from harm.
(d) So the Gods will only know their identity.
12. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
(a) Her favorite book about the family throne.
(b) Her dressing gown that she used to wear.
(c) A piece of her hair.
(d) The old spear that Pelops hurled.
13. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
(b) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(c) That the strangers remain unbound.
(d) That the strangers do not know where they are.
14. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The red sun.
(b) The fires on the city gates.
(c) The temple laterns.
(d) The strangers' bodies.
15. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
2. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
3. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
4. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
5. Who leads Orestes and Pylades out of the temple on their way to the purification ritual?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)