|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the messenger finishes telling the Chorus about the two young men, what do they tell the messenger concerning the King?
(a) That the King has left the temple.
(b) That the King is inside the temple.
(c) That the King is mourning.
(d) That the King is at a citizen's home.
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(c) The Chorus.
3. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A rose.
(c) A drop of holy water.
(d) A locket.
4. Which Mount did the mother of Artemis and Apollo bring them to?
(a) Mount Pela.
(b) Mount Hellena.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) Mount Parnassus.
5. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
(a) That Artemis does not want to sacrifice these men.
(b) That the strangers are tainted sacrifices.
(c) That the strangers are Gods.
(d) That it is unsafe to sacrifice these strangers.
6. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, who says "that purification was a trick"?
(a) The Chorus.
(c) King Thoas.
(d) The messenger.
7. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) A pure white dove.
(b) Two young lambs.
(c) A young calf.
(d) Three chickens.
8. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
9. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple and is speaking with King Thoas in Part 5, what does she ask the Gods to guard them from?
10. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) One piece of golden paper.
(b) Artemis' prayer.
(c) Protected folds.
(d) Several folds.
11. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
(a) His guards.
(c) Orestes and Pylades.
(d) Orestes and Iphigenia.
12. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) One member of The Chorus.
(c) One of the temple attendants.
13. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Athena's Hill.
(b) Wonder Mountain.
(c) Ares' Hill.
(d) Golden Mountain.
14. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(b) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
(c) A serpent in the brush.
(d) The foam from the waves.
15. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(b) To build a home.
(c) To build a tomb.
(d) To remember him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
2. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
3. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
4. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking about sending Iphigenia's letter back home, who does Iphigenia say will see Pylades on board the ship?
5. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)