|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia who he is, he speaks of two people that nursed a feud. Who are they?
(a) Atreus and Thyestes.
(b) Helen and Electra.
(c) Achilles and Electra.
(d) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
2. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Several folds.
(b) Artemis' prayer.
(c) One piece of golden paper.
(d) Protected folds.
3. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All pollution.
(b) All strangers.
(c) All rituals.
(d) All murderers.
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Taurian King.
(d) The guards.
5. When Pylades is telling Orestes in Part 4 that he will not leave Orestes behind to be sacrificed by himself, he tells Orestes that he will give his body along with Orestes to what two things?
(a) The fire and water.
(b) The knife and fire.
(c) The knife and sword.
(d) The sword and water.
6. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(c) The Chorus.
7. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The quick sword.
(b) The well-aimed bow.
(c) The planted seed.
(d) The furious flying arrows.
8. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple, where does she ask King Thoas to stand?
(a) At the door.
(b) By the image of Artemis.
(c) At the altar.
(d) By the pillars.
9. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
(b) King Thoas.
(c) The messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
10. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
(a) The sea.
(b) Her own tears.
(c) Fire from the holy temple.
(d) The holy water in the temple.
11. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking about sending Iphigenia's letter back home, who does Iphigenia say will see Pylades on board the ship?
(a) A trusted herdsman.
(b) Some favored guards.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) Iphigenia, herself.
12. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(b) To build a shrine.
(c) To find a wife to wed.
(d) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
13. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
(a) A family image.
(b) A woman.
(c) A heavenly sword.
(d) A golden lamb.
14. When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas what must be done for purification of the sacrifices, he tells her that what two things are very proper?
(a) Her love and purity.
(b) Her carefulness and swiftness.
(c) Her care and piety.
(d) Her loyalty and concern.
15. What type of doors are located on the temple of Artemis?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
2. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
3. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
4. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia have escaped to begins to be driven backward towards the land, what does Iphigenia start to do?
5. After the Chorus finishes their hymn in the beginning of Part 6, who enters the scene?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)