|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
(b) Because he doesn't know what to say.
(c) So Orestes can ask questions.
(d) So he can hear the truth.
2. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Artemis' prayer.
(b) One piece of golden paper.
(c) Protected folds.
(d) Several folds.
3. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple and is speaking with King Thoas in Part 5, what does she ask the Gods to guard them from?
4. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
5. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia have escaped to begins to be driven backward towards the land, what does Iphigenia start to do?
(a) Cry and wail to her brother.
(b) Sing to the Gods.
(c) Help row the oars across the seawaters.
(d) Pray to Artemis.
6. At the end of Part 5, what does Iphigenia do right before the procession forms?
(a) She calls out Artemis' name.
(b) She raises the image.
(c) She calls to King Thoas.
(d) She raises her arms to Zeus.
7. At the opening of Part 5 of Iphigenia of Taurus, which single person enters the scene?
8. When the messenger is telling King Thoas about the escape of the prisoners, what does he tell the King that Iphigenia did to make them think she was busy with the ceremony?
(a) She chanted hymns.
(b) She gave a piercing cry.
(c) She burned a haystack.
(d) She splashed loudly in the sea.
9. Who is Pylades' father?
10. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) One of the temple attendants.
(b) One member of The Chorus.
(d) King Thoas.
11. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
(a) A sword.
(b) The cords that bind the strangers.
(c) Her letter.
(d) The image of Artemis.
12. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
(a) The secret sword of Zeus.
(b) The image of Apollo.
(c) The magic cloak of Athens.
(d) The ancient oracle of the Earth.
13. When the messenger finishes telling the Chorus about the two young men, what do they tell the messenger concerning the King?
(a) That the King is at a citizen's home.
(b) That the King is inside the temple.
(c) That the King has left the temple.
(d) That the King is mourning.
14. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
15. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(b) Their mother.
(c) Their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
3. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
4. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
5. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)