|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
(a) His guards.
(b) Orestes and Iphigenia.
(d) Orestes and Pylades.
2. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
(b) The altar of sacrifice.
(d) The rocks.
3. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
(a) Her father.
4. Who is Pylades' father?
5. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
(a) The magic cloak of Athens.
(b) The secret sword of Zeus.
(c) The ancient oracle of the Earth.
(d) The image of Apollo.
6. In Part 6, who says, "I never trust a word a woman says"?
(a) King Thoas.
(c) The messenger.
7. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
(b) To go home to his wife and bear children.
(c) To tell everyone about him.
(d) To build an image of him.
8. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Several folds.
(b) Artemis' prayer.
(c) One piece of golden paper.
(d) Protected folds.
9. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
(a) All murderers.
(b) All strangers.
(c) All rituals.
(d) All pollution.
10. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes and Pylades in Part 4 about taking her message back home, who does Iphigenia tell Pylades saved her from her father's hand?
(d) King Thoas.
11. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Wonder Mountain.
(b) Ares' Hill.
(c) Athena's Hill.
(d) Golden Mountain.
12. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
(a) The messenger.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) King Thoas.
13. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
(b) So he can hear the truth.
(c) Because he doesn't know what to say.
(d) So Orestes can ask questions.
14. Iphigenia tells King Thoas in Part 5 that the citizens must do what during the purification ritual?
(a) Pray to Artemis.
(b) Remain inside their houses.
(c) Throw rocks at the strangers.
15. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
(a) A heavenly sword.
(b) A family image.
(c) A woman.
(d) A golden lamb.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger finishes telling the Chorus about the two young men, what do they tell the messenger concerning the King?
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
3. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia who he is, he speaks of two people that nursed a feud. Who are they?
4. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)