|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes and Pylades in Part 4 about taking her message back home, who does Iphigenia tell Pylades saved her from her father's hand?
(b) King Thoas.
2. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
(b) King Thoas.
(c) The messenger.
(d) The Chorus.
3. After King Thoas has ordered the guards to go towards the shore to try to capture the escapees and the guards make off toward the shore, who appears?
4. After the Chorus finishes their hymn in the beginning of Part 6, who enters the scene?
(a) A messenger.
5. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
(a) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to live in Athens.
(b) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to save Orestes.
(c) That Iphigenia is still hiding amongst the caves.
(d) That Iphigenia is gone because she was kidnapped by Orestes and Pylades.
6. When Orestes is telling Pylades to go back home, what does he ask Pylades to do for him?
(a) To kiss his wife goodbye.
(b) To build a home.
(c) To remember him.
(d) To build a tomb.
7. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
(a) A woman.
(b) A heavenly sword.
(c) A family image.
(d) A golden lamb.
8. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are nowhere in sight.
(b) That they are coming back to the temple.
(c) That they are trapped in a cave.
(d) That they have fled the country.
9. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia who he is, he speaks of two people that nursed a feud. Who are they?
(a) Atreus and Thyestes.
(b) Helen and Electra.
(c) Agamemnon and Menelaus.
(d) Achilles and Electra.
10. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
(b) Her mother.
11. When King Thoas learns what the young strangers have done, who does he claim would recoil from that type of action?
(a) A savage.
(b) A monstrous heathen.
12. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The temple laterns.
(b) The strangers' bodies.
(c) The fires on the city gates.
(d) The red sun.
13. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(b) A serpent in the brush.
(c) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
(d) The foam from the waves.
14. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
(d) The Chorus.
15. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the strangers did to win her heart?
(a) They forced her to agree with them.
(b) They kissed her.
(c) They threatened to kill someone.
(d) They held out pleasing bait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
2. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
3. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
4. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
5. In Part 6, what is the first stanza called that the Chorus recites in their poem?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)