|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas he must do when the men come from the temple?
(a) Pray to Artemis for their cleanliness.
(b) Hold his cloak before his eyes.
(c) Follow them to the sea.
(d) Read them their rights.
2. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
(a) The Chorus.
(c) The Taurian King.
(d) The guards.
3. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
(a) The cords that bind the strangers.
(b) Her letter.
(c) The image of Artemis.
(d) A sword.
4. At the end of Part 5, what does Iphigenia do right before the procession forms?
(a) She raises her arms to Zeus.
(b) She calls out Artemis' name.
(c) She raises the image.
(d) She calls to King Thoas.
5. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
6. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) The foam from the waves.
(b) A serpent in the brush.
(c) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(d) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
7. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Golden Mountain.
(b) Ares' Hill.
(c) Athena's Hill.
(d) Wonder Mountain.
8. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
(a) The lyre.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The sword.
(d) The harp.
9. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
(a) The ancient oracle of the Earth.
(b) The image of Apollo.
(c) The secret sword of Zeus.
(d) The magic cloak of Athens.
10. Who is Pylades' father?
11. What does King Thoas tell Iphigenia he thinks the young strangers have done?
(a) Escaped from prison.
(b) Killed one of his people.
(c) Hidden from their king.
(d) Killed a soldier.
12. When Iphigenia is telling King Thoas what must be done for purification of the sacrifices, he tells her that what two things are very proper?
(a) Her love and purity.
(b) Her loyalty and concern.
(c) Her care and piety.
(d) Her carefulness and swiftness.
13. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
(d) Her father.
14. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple, where does she ask King Thoas to stand?
(a) By the image of Artemis.
(b) At the altar.
(c) At the door.
(d) By the pillars.
15. At the opening of Part 5 of Iphigenia of Taurus, which single person enters the scene?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who hammers on the temple door?
2. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
3. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia have escaped to begins to be driven backward towards the land, what does Iphigenia start to do?
4. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas about the holy image moving on the pedestal, King Thoas explains the movement as what happening?
5. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes and Pylades in Part 4 about taking her message back home, who does Iphigenia tell Pylades saved her from her father's hand?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)