|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
(a) The secret sword of Zeus.
(b) The image of Apollo.
(c) The ancient oracle of the Earth.
(d) The magic cloak of Athens.
2. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Golden Mountain.
(b) Wonder Mountain.
(c) Ares' Hill.
(d) Athena's Hill.
3. Who kills the dragon that is mentioned in the hymn by the Chorus in Part 6?
4. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are nowhere in sight.
(b) That they are coming back to the temple.
(c) That they have fled the country.
(d) That they are trapped in a cave.
5. Who leads Orestes and Pylades out of the temple on their way to the purification ritual?
(b) Guards and temple attendants.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) King Thoas.
6. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) Protected folds.
(b) Artemis' prayer.
(c) Several folds.
(d) One piece of golden paper.
7. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers do not know where they are.
(b) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(c) That the strangers remain unbound.
(d) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
8. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
(a) A rose.
(b) A locket.
(c) A drop of holy water.
(d) A lock of hair.
9. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
10. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(d) The Chorus.
11. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
(d) The Chorus.
12. At the opening of Part 5 of Iphigenia of Taurus, which single person enters the scene?
13. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
14. In the beginning of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does the Chorus address by saying, "A voyage of tears awaits you"?
(b) The guards.
15. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple and is speaking with King Thoas in Part 5, what does she ask the Gods to guard them from?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
2. Who does the Chorus mention drove Themis from the holy seat of Pytho?
3. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
4. At the end of Part 5, what does Iphigenia do right before the procession forms?
5. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)