|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The fires on the city gates.
(b) The temple laterns.
(c) The strangers' bodies.
(d) The red sun.
2. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(b) To build a shrine.
(c) To find a wife to wed.
(d) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
3. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
(a) That they are nowhere in sight.
(b) That they have fled the country.
(c) That they are coming back to the temple.
(d) That they are trapped in a cave.
4. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
5. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he tells the King that neither party had swords but that Orestes' men came at them with what?
(a) Fists and Feet.
(b) Feet and Rocks.
(c) Rocks and Hands.
(d) Hands and Feet.
6. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
(a) Orestes and Iphigenia.
(b) Orestes and Pylades.
(c) His guards.
7. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
(a) The image of Artemis was on the ground before her.
(b) An arrow from an archer had landed at her feet.
(c) The foam from the waves.
(d) A serpent in the brush.
8. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
(a) Fire from the holy temple.
(b) The holy water in the temple.
(c) Her own tears.
(d) The sea.
9. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
(a) Her mother.
10. Who is Agamemnon's grandfather?
11. When Pylades is telling Orestes in Part 4 that he will not leave Orestes behind to be sacrificed by himself, he tells Orestes that he will give his body along with Orestes to what two things?
(a) The knife and fire.
(b) The sword and water.
(c) The knife and sword.
(d) The fire and water.
12. In Part 4, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia is the mission that Apollo gave him?
(a) To take the statue of Artemis and set it up in Athens.
(b) To bring the statue of Artemis to him.
(c) To taint the statue of Artemis so it is no longer clean.
(d) To break the statue of Artemis on the jagged rocks of Taurus.
13. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the strangers did to win her heart?
(a) They threatened to kill someone.
(b) They held out pleasing bait.
(c) They kissed her.
(d) They forced her to agree with them.
14. When Iphigenia questions Orestes about Argos in Part 4, who does Orestes say rules Argos?
15. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
(b) The rocks.
(d) The altar of sacrifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of Part 5 of Iphigenia of Taurus, which single person enters the scene?
2. Who are Artemis' parents?
3. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
4. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
5. When Iphigenia is telling the King about the young strangers trying to win her heart, what does she claim that she hates?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)