|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(a) The Chorus.
2. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(b) One of the temple attendants.
(c) King Thoas.
(d) One member of The Chorus.
3. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(b) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
(c) That the strangers remain unbound.
(d) That the strangers do not know where they are.
4. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Purple Rocks.
(b) The Green Hills.
(c) The Golden horizon.
(d) The Orange sun waves.
5. Iphigenia tells King Thoas in Part 5 that the citizens must do what during the purification ritual?
(b) Pray to Artemis.
(c) Remain inside their houses.
(d) Throw rocks at the strangers.
6. In Part 4, who asks Iphigenia to prescribe a pious oath for Pylades?
(b) The Chorus.
7. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, what does he tell her is hidden in her own room in their father's palace?
(a) Her favorite book about the family throne.
(b) The old spear that Pelops hurled.
(c) Her dressing gown that she used to wear.
(d) A piece of her hair.
8. When Thoas is speaking of Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, he states that they have a long hard voyage before them if they hope to do what?
(a) Kidnap his priestess.
(b) Kill his priestess.
(c) Take his image from the temple.
(d) Escape his sword.
9. Who does the Chorus mention drove Themis from the holy seat of Pytho?
10. In Part 6, who says, "I never trust a word a woman says"?
(a) The messenger.
(c) King Thoas.
11. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
(a) That Iphigenia is gone because she was kidnapped by Orestes and Pylades.
(b) That Iphigenia is still hiding amongst the caves.
(c) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to live in Athens.
(d) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to save Orestes.
12. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To tell everyone about him.
(b) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
(c) To build an image of him.
(d) To go home to his wife and bear children.
13. Who kills the dragon that is mentioned in the hymn by the Chorus in Part 6?
14. When Orestes and Iphigenia are devising a plan to escape Taurus, what does Orestes suggest they do to the king?
(a) Assassinate him.
(b) Kidnap him.
(c) Overthrow him.
(d) Sneak past him.
15. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
(d) The Chorus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iphigenia tell King Thoas the strangers did to win her heart?
2. When Iphigenia enters the scene in Part 5, what is she carrying?
3. When the messenger is describing the escape of the prisoners and Iphigenia, he tells the King that something was at Iphigenia's feet that made her shrink away. What was it that made Iphigenia shrink away?
4. What does the messenger say to the Chorus about the two young men?
5. In Part 4, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia is the mission that Apollo gave him?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)