|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pylades' father?
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Pylades says in an aside that he will ask no questions of Iphigenia. Why does he say that he will ask no questions?
(a) He can't, because he is so dumbfounded by her story.
(b) So he can hear the truth.
(c) So Orestes can ask questions.
(d) Because he doesn't know what to say.
3. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, who says "that purification was a trick"?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) The Chorus.
(d) The messenger.
4. In the opening of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "this is no cause for joy, when death parts friend from friend"?
(c) The Chorus.
5. In Part 4, Iphigenia returns from the temple and speaks with Orestes and Pylades and hands them her letter. What does she state the letter is written on?
(a) One piece of golden paper.
(b) Protected folds.
(c) Artemis' prayer.
(d) Several folds.
6. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The quick sword.
(b) The well-aimed bow.
(c) The furious flying arrows.
(d) The planted seed.
7. In Part 5, what does Iphigenia tell King Thoas washes "clean all the foulness of mankind"?
(a) The holy water in the temple.
(b) Fire from the holy temple.
(c) Her own tears.
(d) The sea.
8. Whose pure blood does Iphigenia say she needs to purge the taint of murder on the men?
(a) A young calf.
(b) Three chickens.
(c) Two young lambs.
(d) A pure white dove.
9. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Orange sun waves.
(b) The Golden horizon.
(c) The Green Hills.
(d) The Purple Rocks.
10. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
(a) She saw it in their eyes.
(b) She could hear the Furies.
(c) Artemis whispered their wrongdoings to her.
(d) The holy image turned away.
11. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
12. When the messenger is describing the escape of Orestes and Pylades, he also describes the oars and how they looked like what?
(a) Wooden tusks.
(b) Arms across the ocean.
(c) Lightning rods.
(d) A pair of wings.
13. When Iphigenia is speaking with King Thoas about the image moving, she tells him that something else happened as well as the movement. What else does Iphigenia say happened with the image?
(a) It rocked back and forth and spoke.
(b) Its eyelids closed.
(c) It raised its sword.
(d) It fell.
14. When Iphigenia is speaking to Orestes and Pylades in Part 4 about taking her message back home, who does Iphigenia tell Pylades saved her from her father's hand?
(a) King Thoas.
15. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, when Thoas asks the messenger how it is possible that Iphigenia is gone and why she is gone, what does the messenger tell him?
(a) That Iphigenia is still hiding amongst the caves.
(b) That Iphigenia is gone because she was kidnapped by Orestes and Pylades.
(c) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to save Orestes.
(d) That Iphigenia is gone because she wanted to live in Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
2. When Iphigenia enters the scene from the temple, where does she ask King Thoas to stand?
3. What is the dragon guarding that the Chorus mentions in their hymn in the beginning of Part 6?
4. In Part 4 when Orestes and Iphigenia are planning their escape, Orestes states that night is for thieves, but what does he say daylight is for?
5. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)