|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(c) The Chorus.
3. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
4. When Iphigenia is speaking with King Thoas about the image moving, she tells him that something else happened as well as the movement. What else does Iphigenia say happened with the image?
(a) Its eyelids closed.
(b) It rocked back and forth and spoke.
(c) It fell.
(d) It raised its sword.
5. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Orange sun waves.
(b) The Golden horizon.
(c) The Purple Rocks.
(d) The Green Hills.
6. In Part 4, who does Iphigenia ask Pylades to deliver her message/letter to?
(a) Her mother.
7. When Orestes is trying to prove to Iphigenia that he is her brother, he tells her about her wedding day. Who does Orestes claim sent holy water on Iphigenia's wedding day?
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
8. After King Thoas has heard about the escape of Iphigenia, Orestes, and Pylades he suggests that they capture them, fling them down the rocky cliffs and impale their bodies on what?
(c) The altar of sacrifice.
(d) The rocks.
9. When Iphigenia speaks of the statue of Artemis, she tells Orestes in Part 4 that only one person is allowed to touch it. Who is that person?
(a) One of the temple attendants.
(b) One member of The Chorus.
(d) King Thoas.
10. In Part 4, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia is the mission that Apollo gave him?
(a) To taint the statue of Artemis so it is no longer clean.
(b) To break the statue of Artemis on the jagged rocks of Taurus.
(c) To bring the statue of Artemis to him.
(d) To take the statue of Artemis and set it up in Athens.
11. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "Stop, stranger! Take away your hands!"?
(d) The Chorus.
12. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Ares' Hill.
(b) Wonder Mountain.
(c) Athena's Hill.
(d) Golden Mountain.
13. In Part 6, the Chorus mentions a dragon in the hymn they sing. What color eyes do they mention the dragon has?
(c) Sea foam-white.
14. When Orestes is speaking of appearing in court for killing his mother, who does he say raised a hand for his acquittal?
(c) The Furies.
15. At the end of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what is Orestes ordered to do when he reaches Athens?
(a) To build a shrine.
(b) To deliver his sister to her father's house.
(c) To find a wife to wed.
(d) To take Pylades safely to his wife, Electra.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas about the young strangers in Part 5, what is the reason she tells King Thoas that she recognized the "stain" on them?
2. When Thoas is speaking of Orestes and Pylades escaping in Part 6, he states that they have a long hard voyage before them if they hope to do what?
3. Iphigenia tells King Thoas in Part 5 that the citizens must do what during the purification ritual?
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
5. In the opening of Part 6 of Iphigenia in Taurus, a member of the Chorus starts a hymn by talking about long ago in a certain place. What is the place she mentions?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)