|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After King Thoas has ordered the guards to go towards the shore to try to capture the escapees and the guards make off toward the shore, who appears?
2. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(b) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
(c) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
(d) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
3. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "sometimes, somehow, extraordinary misfortune seems to take, by pure chance, some extraordinary turn"?
(c) The Chorus.
4. In the beginning of Part 6, the Chorus tells of Apollo and his skill at what?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The harp.
(c) The lyre.
(d) The sword.
5. Iphigenia promises Pylades and Orestes in Part 4 that she will send Pylades safely beyond what?
(a) The Purple Rocks.
(b) The Green Hills.
(c) The Orange sun waves.
(d) The Golden horizon.
6. When Iphigenia tells King Thoas of the rituals she must perform on the sacrifices, what does she tell King Thoas is needful?
7. When the Chorus is speaking in the beginning of Part 6, what is the second stanza of the poem called?
8. When Orestes is telling Iphigenia about two people that nursed a feud, what does he tell Iphigenia that these two were fighting over?
(a) A heavenly sword.
(b) A golden lamb.
(c) A woman.
(d) A family image.
9. Who is the mother of Artemis and Apollo?
10. After the Chorus finishes their hymn in the beginning of Part 6, who enters the scene?
(b) A messenger.
11. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who claims that Phoebus' pronouncements are no help to them?
(b) The Chorus.
12. In the beginning of Part 6, what does the Chorus state that Artemis is the queen of?
(a) The furious flying arrows.
(b) The well-aimed bow.
(c) The quick sword.
(d) The planted seed.
13. When Orestes speaks of appearing in court for killing his mother, where does he say the court met?
(a) Ares' Hill.
(b) Golden Mountain.
(c) Athena's Hill.
(d) Wonder Mountain.
14. When Orestes and Iphigenia are working out a plan to deliver the letter in Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who does Orestes ask Iphigenia about, wondering if they will consent to letting Pylades go?
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The guards.
(d) The Taurian King.
15. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
(a) That Artemis does not want to sacrifice these men.
(b) That it is unsafe to sacrifice these strangers.
(c) That the strangers are tainted sacrifices.
(d) That the strangers are Gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia is the mission that Apollo gave him?
2. After Orestes tells Pylades what he wants Pylades to do for him when he gets home, what does he ask that his sister leave for him?
3. In Part 5, after Iphigenia tells King Thoas what the citizens of the city must do, what does she tell him must be shunned?
4. At the opening of Part 5 when the single person enters the scene, who does he have with him?
5. Who does Iphigenia tell the King that the young strangers told her was prospering and alive?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)