|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
(a) Down to the shore.
(b) Into the temple.
(c) Into a field.
(d) To speak with the Chorus.
2. In Part 2, after Iphigenia leaves, the Chorus begins a long questioning of who the strangers are. Who does the Chorus say they wish would come to "this shore" to be sacrificed?
3. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(a) Achilles' love.
(b) Helen's treachery.
(c) Her father's villainy.
4. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
(a) Throw it into the sea.
(b) Break it.
(c) Take it back and give it to Athens.
(d) Give it to Apollo.
5. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
6. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(b) Her sword.
(d) Her good luck.
7. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
8. Who is Iphigenia's father?
9. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He dies.
(b) He fights a Cyclops.
(c) He sails on forever on his ship.
(d) He prays to Artemis.
10. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
11. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
12. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To sacrifice them.
(b) To toss them into the sea.
(c) To have a feast.
(d) To put them on a trail.
13. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) Temple attendants.
(c) The guards.
(d) The Chorus.
14. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
(a) Barley-meal and holy-water.
(b) Wheat and barley.
(c) A sword and shield.
(d) Sea-water and a sword.
15. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(a) Kill someone.
(b) Run away.
(d) Steal some horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 3, who tells Iphigenia that they need no tears from her?
2. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
3. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
4. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
5. Who snatched Iphigenia from the altar from which she was to be sacrificed?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)