|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
2. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(c) Temple attendants.
3. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
(a) Deliver a letter to Argos.
(b) If he will offer Pylades' life in return.
(c) Tell her who he really is.
(d) If he will pray to Artemis for her release.
4. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) Iphigenia's room.
(b) Taurus castle.
(c) Orestes' ship.
(d) The temple of Artemis.
5. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(b) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(c) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(d) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
6. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(a) The purple east.
7. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
8. In the beginning of Part 3, who tells Iphigenia that they need no tears from her?
(a) The Chorus.
9. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
(a) The herdsman.
(c) Orestes and Pylades.
(d) The Chorus.
10. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) The guards.
(b) King Thoas.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) Temple attendants.
11. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was washing his cattle.
(b) He was watching for ships.
(c) He was cleaning his clothing.
(d) He was taking a bath.
12. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
(a) Artemis is Apollo's sister.
(b) Artemis is Apollo's mother.
(c) Artemis is Apollo's grandmother.
(d) Artemis is Apollo's aunt.
13. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her service in the temple.
(b) The hand of Fate.
(c) Her labors in the field.
(d) Her understanding of war.
14. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(b) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(c) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(d) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
15. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
2. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
3. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
4. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
5. Who is Iphigenia's father?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)