|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
2. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
3. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
(a) That they are just friends.
(b) That they are twin brothers.
(c) That they are brothers in love, but not blood.
(d) That they are comrades.
4. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
5. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That she has heard of Hellas.
(b) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
(c) That she knows someone from Hellas.
(d) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
6. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Agememnon is king.
(b) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
(c) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
(d) That Helen was evil.
7. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(b) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(c) That he does not live.
(d) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
8. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He sails on forever on his ship.
(b) He dies.
(c) He fights a Cyclops.
(d) He prays to Artemis.
9. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) Her hair.
(b) The ropes binding the swords.
(c) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(d) The image from the pedestal.
10. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
11. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
(b) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(c) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(d) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
12. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
(a) The Furies.
13. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(a) Her good luck.
(c) Her sword.
14. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
(a) Tell her who he really is.
(b) If he will pray to Artemis for her release.
(c) Deliver a letter to Argos.
(d) If he will offer Pylades' life in return.
15. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(b) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(c) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(d) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's father?
2. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
3. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
4. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
5. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)