|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
(b) The underworld.
2. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
3. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
(a) His name.
(b) His family.
(c) His friend.
(d) His brother.
4. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
5. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
6. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
7. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Helen was evil.
(b) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
(c) That Agememnon is king.
(d) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
8. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
(a) A magic sword.
(b) The statue of Artemis.
(d) Powerful armor.
9. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
(d) The Furies.
10. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
11. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) A member of his own herdsman.
(b) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
(c) The two young men that came by ship.
(d) Iphigenia herself.
12. Who is the king of the Taurian country?
13. Who is Achilles' father?
14. In the beginning of Part 3, who tells Iphigenia that they need no tears from her?
(d) The Chorus.
15. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(b) Run away.
(c) Kill someone.
(d) Steal some horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
2. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
3. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
4. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)