|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(a) The purple east.
2. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(a) King Thoas.
(c) The Gods.
(d) His father.
3. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
4. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
(a) Barley-meal and holy-water.
(b) Wheat and barley.
(c) Sea-water and a sword.
(d) A sword and shield.
5. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
(a) Throw it into the sea.
(b) Break it.
(c) Take it back and give it to Athens.
(d) Give it to Apollo.
6. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
(a) A horse.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A pig.
(d) A deer.
7. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) A blue sea.
(b) An unfriendly sea.
(c) A raging sea.
(d) A cold sea.
8. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
9. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
(b) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
(c) That she has heard of Hellas.
(d) That she knows someone from Hellas.
10. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
11. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(a) At the break of dawn.
(c) In the night.
12. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To toss them into the sea.
(b) To have a feast.
(c) To put them on a trail.
(d) To sacrifice them.
13. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Helen was evil.
(b) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
(c) That Agememnon is king.
(d) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
14. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking of Orestes being sacrificed, Iphigenia tells Orestes that she will use what to quench his ashes?
(a) Olive oil.
(b) Sea water.
(c) Rose water.
(d) The juice of grapes.
15. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
2. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
3. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
4. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
5. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)