|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
(a) A deer.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A pig.
(d) A horse.
2. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(a) At the break of dawn.
(d) In the night.
3. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was cleaning his clothing.
(b) He was watching for ships.
(c) He was taking a bath.
(d) He was washing his cattle.
4. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(b) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(c) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(d) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
5. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(b) The purple east.
6. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(c) King Thoas.
(d) A herdsman.
7. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
(a) The underworld.
8. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her service in the temple.
(b) The hand of Fate.
(c) Her understanding of war.
(d) Her labors in the field.
9. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
10. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
11. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
(b) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(c) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
(d) She prepares the swords.
12. Who snatched Iphigenia from the altar from which she was to be sacrificed?
13. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(b) Steal some horses.
(c) Kill someone.
(d) Run away.
14. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
(a) Into the temple.
(b) Down to the shore.
(c) To speak with the Chorus.
(d) Into a field.
15. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
2. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
3. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
4. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
5. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)