|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
(a) A sword and shield.
(b) Sea-water and a sword.
(c) Barley-meal and holy-water.
(d) Wheat and barley.
2. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He fights a Cyclops.
(b) He prays to Artemis.
(c) He dies.
(d) He sails on forever on his ship.
3. In Iphigenia's dream, where does she dream that she has escaped to live?
(b) With the Gods.
4. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
(a) To speak with the Chorus.
(b) Into the temple.
(c) Down to the shore.
(d) Into a field.
5. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) A raging sea.
(b) A cold sea.
(c) An unfriendly sea.
(d) A blue sea.
6. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she was taken from her family.
(b) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
(c) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
(d) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
7. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
(a) The herdsman.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) Orestes and Pylades.
8. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
9. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
10. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(b) That Helen is dead.
(c) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(d) That Helen is in Troy.
11. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
(a) To the field with the cattle.
(b) Inside the temple.
(c) To her bedroom.
(d) To the seashore.
12. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
(b) The Chorus.
13. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By fire.
(d) By reading them a sacred poem.
14. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
(d) His mother's.
15. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
(b) That Helen was evil.
(c) That Agememnon is king.
(d) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
2. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
3. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
4. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
5. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)