|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(b) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(c) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(d) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
2. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The altar.
(b) The swords on the ground.
(c) The image in the temple.
(d) The rocks in the field of cattle.
3. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was cleaning his clothing.
(b) He was taking a bath.
(c) He was washing his cattle.
(d) He was watching for ships.
4. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
(a) Her father, Agamemnon.
(b) Her sister, Electra.
(c) Her brother, Orestes.
(d) Her betrothed, Achilles.
5. In Part 2, after Iphigenia leaves, the Chorus begins a long questioning of who the strangers are. Who does the Chorus say they wish would come to "this shore" to be sacrificed?
6. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
(a) For the quickness of his sword.
(b) Because of his wealth.
(c) For his great wisdom.
(d) For the wing-like swiftness of his feet.
7. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
(b) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(c) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
(d) She prepares the swords.
8. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(a) The Chorus.
9. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(a) In the night.
(d) At the break of dawn.
10. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) Under some rocks.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In the temple.
(d) In the caves.
11. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(c) The purple east.
12. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Jagged rocks.
(b) Smooth rocks.
(c) Clashing rocks.
(d) Purple rocks.
13. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) A herdsman.
14. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(b) King Thoas.
(c) His father.
(d) The Gods.
15. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
2. Who is Achilles' father?
3. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
4. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
5. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)