|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) The hand of Fate.
(b) Her service in the temple.
(c) Her labors in the field.
(d) Her understanding of war.
2. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
(a) He threw it out into the sea.
(b) He stabbed the ground.
(c) He came after the herdsman.
(d) He started stabbing the cattle.
3. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
(a) That she find the young men suitable for sacrificing.
(b) To sing a song.
(c) That the rites of Artemis be duly ordered.
(d) To find out who the strangers are.
4. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) His father.
(d) The Gods.
5. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
6. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
7. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
(a) His mother's.
8. Who is Achilles' father?
9. When the Chorus sees the two young men being led to the temple, who do they speak a brief prayer to?
10. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He fights a Cyclops.
(b) He prays to Artemis.
(c) He sails on forever on his ship.
(d) He dies.
11. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
(a) Wheat and barley.
(b) A sword and shield.
(c) Sea-water and a sword.
(d) Barley-meal and holy-water.
12. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His sister.
13. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(c) Her father.
14. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) Orestes' ship.
(b) Taurus castle.
(c) Iphigenia's room.
(d) The temple of Artemis.
15. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Clashing rocks.
(b) Smooth rocks.
(c) Purple rocks.
(d) Jagged rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
2. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
3. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
4. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
5. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)