|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
2. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
3. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
(a) Down to the shore.
(b) Into a field.
(c) Into the temple.
(d) To speak with the Chorus.
4. When the guards reappear after Orestes and Iphigenia have spoken about Orestes' fate, what does Iphigenia tell the guards to do about the two young men?
(a) Bind them and guard them.
(b) Take them back to their ship and tie them inside.
(c) Lead them back to the temple.
(d) Guard them and leave them unbound.
5. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
6. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
7. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
(a) Her brother's lips.
(b) Her mother's lips.
(c) Her sister's lips.
(d) Her father's lips.
8. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The altar.
(b) The image in the temple.
(c) The swords on the ground.
(d) The rocks in the field of cattle.
9. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
10. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(d) The Chorus.
11. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
12. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) A member of his own herdsman.
(b) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
(c) Iphigenia herself.
(d) The two young men that came by ship.
13. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(a) Her father.
14. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(b) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(c) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(d) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
15. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will marry him.
(b) She will hide him and then help him escape.
(c) She will set him free.
(d) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
2. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
3. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
4. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
5. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)