|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) Temple attendants.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) King Thoas.
(d) The guards.
2. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
3. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He prays to Artemis.
(b) He dies.
(c) He fights a Cyclops.
(d) He sails on forever on his ship.
4. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(d) The purple east.
5. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(b) Temple attendants.
6. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
7. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
8. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
(b) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(c) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(d) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
9. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) The temple of Artemis.
(b) Taurus castle.
(c) Iphigenia's room.
(d) Orestes' ship.
10. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
(b) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(c) She prepares the swords.
(d) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
11. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
(a) Her love.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her sister.
12. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) A member of his own herdsman.
(b) Iphigenia herself.
(c) The two young men that came by ship.
(d) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
13. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
(a) The Unfortunate.
(b) The Brave.
(c) The Willing.
(d) The Sad.
14. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
(b) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
(c) That she has heard of Hellas.
(d) That she knows someone from Hellas.
15. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(b) Helen's treachery.
(c) Her father's villainy.
(d) Achilles' love.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
2. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
3. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
4. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
5. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)