|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) Her hair.
(b) The ropes binding the swords.
(c) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(d) The image from the pedestal.
2. In Part 1 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes states that people claim that something fell from the sky into the temple. What was this item that fell from the sky?
(a) A magic sword.
(b) The statue of Artemis.
(c) Powerful armor.
3. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
(a) His mother's.
4. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) King Thoas.
(b) The guards.
(c) Temple attendants.
(d) The Chorus.
5. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(a) King Thoas.
(d) A herdsman.
6. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(a) The Gods.
(b) King Thoas.
(c) His father.
7. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
8. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
9. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
(a) Her brother, Orestes.
(b) Her betrothed, Achilles.
(c) Her father, Agamemnon.
(d) Her sister, Electra.
10. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
11. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
(a) Artemis is Apollo's sister.
(b) Artemis is Apollo's aunt.
(c) Artemis is Apollo's mother.
(d) Artemis is Apollo's grandmother.
12. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she was taken from her family.
(b) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
(c) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
(d) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
13. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her labors in the field.
(b) Her understanding of war.
(c) Her service in the temple.
(d) The hand of Fate.
14. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By having them pray to Artemis.
(b) By casting water on their heads.
(c) By reading them a sacred poem.
(d) By fire.
15. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
2. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
3. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
4. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
5. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)