|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(b) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(c) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(d) That he does not live.
2. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is in Troy.
(b) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(c) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(d) That Helen is dead.
3. In Part 2, after Iphigenia leaves, the Chorus begins a long questioning of who the strangers are. Who does the Chorus say they wish would come to "this shore" to be sacrificed?
4. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) Iphigenia herself.
(b) A member of his own herdsman.
(c) The two young men that came by ship.
(d) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
5. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
(a) Artemis is Apollo's grandmother.
(b) Artemis is Apollo's mother.
(c) Artemis is Apollo's aunt.
(d) Artemis is Apollo's sister.
6. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(b) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
(c) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(d) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
7. What name does Orestes tell Iphigenia would name him justly when he is talking with her outside the temple?
(a) The Willing.
(b) The Unfortunate.
(c) The Sad.
(d) The Brave.
8. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Purple rocks.
(b) Smooth rocks.
(c) Clashing rocks.
(d) Jagged rocks.
9. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
10. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(b) Temple attendants.
11. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(b) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(c) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(d) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
12. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
13. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That she knows someone from Hellas.
(b) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
(c) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
(d) That she has heard of Hellas.
14. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
15. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Agememnon is king.
(b) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
(c) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
(d) That Helen was evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
2. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
3. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
4. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
5. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)