|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(b) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(c) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(d) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
2. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(a) Temple attendants.
3. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By fire.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By casting water on their heads.
(d) By reading them a sacred poem.
4. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
5. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) Taurus castle.
(b) Iphigenia's room.
(c) The temple of Artemis.
(d) Orestes' ship.
6. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
7. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) On their ship.
(b) Under some rocks.
(c) In the caves.
(d) In the temple.
8. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(b) A herdsman.
(c) King Thoas.
9. When Iphigenia is telling the Chorus about her terrible past, she mentions that she would not hold who?
(a) Her sister, Electra.
(b) Her father, Agamemnon.
(c) Her brother, Orestes.
(d) Her betrothed, Achilles.
10. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(a) At the break of dawn.
(c) In the night.
11. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
12. In Iphigenia's dream, where does she dream that she has escaped to live?
(a) With the Gods.
13. When the guards reappear after Orestes and Iphigenia have spoken about Orestes' fate, what does Iphigenia tell the guards to do about the two young men?
(a) Lead them back to the temple.
(b) Guard them and leave them unbound.
(c) Bind them and guard them.
(d) Take them back to their ship and tie them inside.
14. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
(a) To sing a song.
(b) To find out who the strangers are.
(c) That she find the young men suitable for sacrificing.
(d) That the rites of Artemis be duly ordered.
15. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
2. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
3. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking of Orestes being sacrificed, Iphigenia tells Orestes that she will use what to quench his ashes?
4. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
5. In Part 2, after Iphigenia leaves, the Chorus begins a long questioning of who the strangers are. Who does the Chorus say they wish would come to "this shore" to be sacrificed?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)