|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
2. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(c) In the night.
(d) At the break of dawn.
3. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
(b) A member of his own herdsman.
(c) Iphigenia herself.
(d) The two young men that came by ship.
4. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking of Orestes being sacrificed, Iphigenia tells Orestes that she will use what to quench his ashes?
(a) Olive oil.
(b) Sea water.
(c) The juice of grapes.
(d) Rose water.
5. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Pigs of Hellas.
(b) Sheep of Hellas.
(c) Servants of Hellas.
(d) Horses of Hellas.
6. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
(a) Barley-meal and holy-water.
(b) Wheat and barley.
(c) Sea-water and a sword.
(d) A sword and shield.
7. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
8. Who is Achilles' father?
9. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
(a) That Helen is back in Sparta with her first husband.
(b) That Helen has asked for forgiveness.
(c) That Helen is dead.
(d) That Helen is in Troy.
10. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By fire.
(d) By reading them a sacred poem.
11. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
(b) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(c) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(d) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
12. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
13. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will marry him.
(b) She will set him free.
(c) She will hide him and then help him escape.
(d) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
14. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(b) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
(c) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(d) Husband, child, city, and friend.
15. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
2. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
3. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
4. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
5. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)