|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(a) Temple attendants.
2. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
3. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
4. When Orestes cries to Phoebus, who does he claim he has killed?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His father.
5. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her service in the temple.
(b) The hand of Fate.
(c) Her understanding of war.
(d) Her labors in the field.
6. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) On their ship.
(b) Under some rocks.
(c) In the caves.
(d) In the temple.
7. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
(d) The Chorus.
8. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(b) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(c) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(d) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
9. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The image in the temple.
(b) The rocks in the field of cattle.
(c) The swords on the ground.
(d) The altar.
10. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
11. What happens to the person that Iphigenia sees in her dream?
(a) He fights a Cyclops.
(b) He sails on forever on his ship.
(c) He dies.
(d) He prays to Artemis.
12. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
13. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(b) Her sword.
(d) Her good luck.
14. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(b) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
(c) She prepares the swords.
(d) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
15. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was washing his cattle.
(b) He was cleaning his clothing.
(c) He was taking a bath.
(d) He was watching for ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
2. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
3. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
4. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
5. Who was Iphigenia betrothed to when she lived in Greece?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)