|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(b) King Thoas.
(c) A herdsman.
2. In the beginning of Part 3, who tells Iphigenia that they need no tears from her?
(a) The Chorus.
3. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
(a) He started stabbing the cattle.
(b) He stabbed the ground.
(c) He threw it out into the sea.
(d) He came after the herdsman.
4. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
(a) King Thoas' armor.
(b) A shield from Apollo.
(c) The statue of Artemis.
(d) A dead corpse.
5. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
6. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
(a) His name.
(b) His family.
(c) His friend.
(d) His brother.
7. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
(a) Her father.
8. Who snatched Iphigenia from the altar from which she was to be sacrificed?
9. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
10. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
11. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
12. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(b) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(c) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
(d) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
13. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(b) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(c) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(d) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
14. What does Orestes see that is stained with Hellene's blood?
(a) The rocks in the field of cattle.
(b) The swords on the ground.
(c) The altar.
(d) The image in the temple.
15. When the guards reappear after Orestes and Iphigenia have spoken about Orestes' fate, what does Iphigenia tell the guards to do about the two young men?
(a) Lead them back to the temple.
(b) Take them back to their ship and tie them inside.
(c) Guard them and leave them unbound.
(d) Bind them and guard them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
2. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
3. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
4. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)