|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
(a) His father.
(b) The Gods.
(c) King Thoas.
2. The opening scene in the story Iphigenia in Taurus starts at what landmark?
(a) The temple of Artemis.
(b) Taurus castle.
(c) Iphigenia's room.
(d) Orestes' ship.
3. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) The hand of Fate.
(b) Her service in the temple.
(c) Her understanding of war.
(d) Her labors in the field.
4. When Iphigenia is speaking with Orestes outside the temple, she mentions a particular name that is in the world's mouth. What name is that?
5. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(b) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
(c) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
(d) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
6. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
7. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was cleaning his clothing.
(b) He was washing his cattle.
(c) He was taking a bath.
(d) He was watching for ships.
8. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(a) The Chorus.
9. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(b) That he does not live.
(c) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(d) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
10. Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she is the doomed victim of what?
(a) Her father's villainy.
(b) Helen's treachery.
(d) Achilles' love.
11. Which end of the Crimean Peninsula does the opening scene take place?
12. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
13. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(b) Husband, child, city, and friend.
(c) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(d) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
14. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
15. Who is the king of the Taurian country?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
2. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
3. When Iphigenia is having the conversation with Orestes and Pylades outside the temple, she asks Orestes where Helen is. What does Orestes tell Iphigenia?
4. Why does Iphigenia feel like the rites she celebrates are unfit for song?
5. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)