|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Iphigenia finishes talking about her dream, where does she go?
(a) Into the temple.
(b) Into a field.
(c) Down to the shore.
(d) To speak with the Chorus.
2. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
(a) Because of his wealth.
(b) For the wing-like swiftness of his feet.
(c) For his great wisdom.
(d) For the quickness of his sword.
3. What takes Iphigenia's place on the altar to be sacrificed instead?
(a) A horse.
(b) A deer.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A pig.
4. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
5. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
(b) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(c) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(d) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
6. Who is the king of the Taurian country?
7. In the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia claim is her first care?
(a) That she find the young men suitable for sacrificing.
(b) That the rites of Artemis be duly ordered.
(c) To find out who the strangers are.
(d) To sing a song.
8. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
9. Iphigenia claims that even from the time of her conception and childhood that something "lay hard" for her. What is it?
(a) Her service in the temple.
(b) The hand of Fate.
(c) Her understanding of war.
(d) Her labors in the field.
10. Who enters as Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus?
(b) King Thoas.
(d) A herdsman.
11. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
(a) The world of all the Gods.
(b) The world of Artemis.
(c) The world of Apollo.
(d) The world of Zeus.
12. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
13. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
(d) The Furies.
14. When Iphigenia asks Orestes and Pylades if they are brothers in Part 3, what does Orestes say in reply?
(a) That they are twin brothers.
(b) That they are comrades.
(c) That they are brothers in love, but not blood.
(d) That they are just friends.
15. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
(a) That she has heard of Hellas.
(b) That Hellas was a place she dreamt about.
(c) That Hellas is her home and that she died there when she was a child.
(d) That she knows someone from Hellas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orestes tells Iphigenia that his body is hers while they are outside the temple, but what does he tell Iphigenia that he won't let her sacrifice?
2. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "do we not know what sorrow is"?
3. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
4. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
5. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)