|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) Temple attendants.
(b) The guards.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) King Thoas.
2. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
(a) For the wing-like swiftness of his feet.
(b) For the quickness of his sword.
(c) Because of his wealth.
(d) For his great wisdom.
3. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
(b) She will hide him and then help him escape.
(c) She will set him free.
(d) She will marry him.
4. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
5. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
6. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) A blue sea.
(b) A raging sea.
(c) A cold sea.
(d) An unfriendly sea.
7. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her family.
8. Who is the king of the Taurian country?
9. While Iphigenia is questioning Orestes in Part 3, Orestes tells Iphigenia that her "informant was correct" about something. What is it?
(a) That Helen was evil.
(b) That Achilles was betrothed to someone else.
(c) That Agememnon is king.
(d) That Troy no longer stands and was destroyed in war.
10. In Part 2, when Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus about her terrible past, whose lips does she say she would not kiss?
(a) Her brother's lips.
(b) Her mother's lips.
(c) Her father's lips.
(d) Her sister's lips.
11. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(b) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(c) That he does not live.
(d) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
12. When Iphigenia arrived in Taurus, what was her appointed job in the temple?
13. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
14. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
(a) She prays for all the citizens of Taurus.
(b) She prepares victims for sacrifice, but does not perform the actual sacrifice.
(c) She prepares the swords.
(d) She waxes the statue of Artemis.
15. When Orestes and Iphigenia are speaking to each other, Iphigenia asks Orestes if anyone still lives in Agamemnon's house. What is Orestes' reply?
(a) That Agamemnon and Electra are still alive.
(b) That Agamemnon's death only left a daughter, Electra, at home.
(c) That no one in Agamemnon's house lives.
(d) That Agamemnon is the only one alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orestes claim "hounds" him "to and fro"?
2. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
3. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
4. How are Apollo and Artemis related?
5. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)