|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Iphigenia's father?
2. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(b) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(c) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(d) That he does not live.
3. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) The image from the pedestal.
(b) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(c) The ropes binding the swords.
(d) Her hair.
4. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is speaking of her past, what does she tell the Chorus she doesn't believe any god is?
5. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
6. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus in Part 2, where does she tell the Chorus she "yearns toward"?
(a) The underworld.
7. In Part 2, when Iphigenia is done speaking to the Chorus, where does she go?
(a) Inside the temple.
(b) To the field with the cattle.
(c) To her bedroom.
(d) To the seashore.
8. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
(b) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
(c) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
(d) Because she was taken from her family.
9. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(d) The purple east.
10. When Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, who does she claim is extinct?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her love.
11. When Orestes speaks to Iphigenia about being sacrificed and what will happen, Iphigenia offers to heap what at Orestes' grave?
12. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
13. Where was the altar on which Iphigenia was going to be sacrificed?
14. What is Orestes asked to take from the temple by Phoebus Apollo?
(a) A dead corpse.
(b) A shield from Apollo.
(c) King Thoas' armor.
(d) The statue of Artemis.
15. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
(a) Jagged rocks.
(b) Purple rocks.
(c) Clashing rocks.
(d) Smooth rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
2. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
3. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
4. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
5. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)