|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
(a) Orestes' and Pylades' arms.
(b) The ropes binding the swords.
(c) Her hair.
(d) The image from the pedestal.
2. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
3. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(d) The Chorus.
4. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(b) Steal some horses.
(c) Kill someone.
(d) Run away.
5. Who is Iphigenia's father?
6. In Part 3, when Iphigenia suggests that Orestes deliver a letter to Argos, what does Orestes suggest they change about Iphigenia's plan?
(a) That he and Pylades both deliver the letter.
(b) That Pylades deliver the letter and Orestes stay to be sacrificed.
(c) That they will send a member of the Chorus to deliver the letter and both men will face death.
(d) That no one will deliver the letter because he doesn't trust Iphigenia.
7. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
8. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The herdsman.
(d) Orestes and Pylades.
9. After Iphigenia talks about her dream and exits, who appears from the shore?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) King Thoas.
(d) Orestes and Pylades.
10. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
11. In the Chorus' opening prayer to Artemis, what do they speak about that "crop the green meadows"?
(a) Sheep of Hellas.
(b) Pigs of Hellas.
(c) Horses of Hellas.
(d) Servants of Hellas.
12. Why did the king of Taurus receive his particular name?
(a) For the wing-like swiftness of his feet.
(b) Because of his wealth.
(c) For the quickness of his sword.
(d) For his great wisdom.
13. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
(b) The purple east.
14. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) A blue sea.
(b) A cold sea.
(c) A raging sea.
(d) An unfriendly sea.
15. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
(a) She will marry him.
(b) She will set him free.
(c) She will still sacrifice Pylades.
(d) She will hide him and then help him escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Orestes claim is as chaotic as the mortal world?
2. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
3. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
4. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
5. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)