|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(b) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
(c) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(d) That he does not live.
2. In Part 2, after Iphigenia leaves, the Chorus begins a long questioning of who the strangers are. Who does the Chorus say they wish would come to "this shore" to be sacrificed?
3. Iphigenia talks about the seizure of Helen in Part 1. Who is Helen's husband?
4. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
5. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
(a) Because she is scared of King Thoas.
(b) Because she thinks her brother, Orestes, is dead.
(c) Because she was taken from her family.
(d) Because she does not like helping with sacrifices.
6. What does Orestes suggest that he and Pylades do, to which Pylades replies, "out of the question- we're not used to it"?
(a) Steal some horses.
(b) Kill someone.
(d) Run away.
7. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To have a feast.
(b) To toss them into the sea.
(c) To put them on a trail.
(d) To sacrifice them.
8. When Orestes and Iphigenia are discussing Hellas, Orestes tells Iphigenia that a particular person's end was terrible. Who is Orestes talking about?
9. Where does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes hide so that they are not captured?
(a) In the temple.
(b) On their ship.
(c) In the caves.
(d) Under some rocks.
10. Who does the Chorus mention led the famous fleet to the towers of Troy?
11. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By reading them a sacred poem.
(b) By having them pray to Artemis.
(c) By fire.
(d) By casting water on their heads.
12. Whose temple was Iphigenia to work in?
13. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
(a) Take it back and give it to Athens.
(b) Break it.
(c) Throw it into the sea.
(d) Give it to Apollo.
14. Which character from the story enters first in Part 1?
15. In Part 3, when Iphigenia tells Orestes that he is the visitor she has longed for, what does Orestes tell Iphigenia to hug?
(c) Her sword.
(d) Her good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
2. Who is Iphigenia's father?
3. When the Herdsman first enters and tells Iphigenia about the visitors, where does he tell Iphigenia the men are from?
4. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who enters the scene besides Iphigenia?
5. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia offers to spare Orestes' life if he will do what?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)