|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iphigenia order to go into the temple and prepare for the sacrifice?
(a) Temple attendants.
(b) King Thoas.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The guards.
2. The Herdsman hears one of the young men's names. Who is the young man that he knows the name of?
3. Who is Iphigenia's mother?
4. In Part 2, when Iphigenia asks the Herdsman why he was down by the seashore, what is his reply?
(a) He was washing his cattle.
(b) He was cleaning his clothing.
(c) He was taking a bath.
(d) He was watching for ships.
5. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he tells her that one of the strangers drew his sword. What did the stranger do with his sword?
(a) He stabbed the ground.
(b) He threw it out into the sea.
(c) He started stabbing the cattle.
(d) He came after the herdsman.
6. When Iphigenia asks Orestes about the king's son in Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, and asks where he lives, what is Orestes' reply?
(a) That he lives in the afterlife and here on earth.
(b) That he does not live.
(c) That he has visited the Gods and lives nowhere.
(d) That the king's son lives nowhere and everywhere.
7. When does Pylades suggest that he and Orestes retrieve the item they are looking for in Taurus?
(b) In the night.
(c) At the break of dawn.
8. Where does Iphigenia tell the Chorus she was sent in a chariot of state to?
9. In Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who is Orestes speaking of when he says, " her blood was the unjust ransom for a worthless wife"?
(a) His mother's.
10. In Part 2 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Iphigenia tells the Chorus that she finds Artemis guilty of what?
11. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of sea do they describe?
(a) An unfriendly sea.
(b) A raging sea.
(c) A cold sea.
(d) A blue sea.
12. When Iphigenia is talking with Orestes and Pylades, who says, "events mislead and baffle us"?
(a) The Chorus.
13. Who enters from the central door while the Chorus is praying to Artemis?
(a) Temple attendants.
14. After Orestes finds the item he is searching for in Taurus, what is he required to do with it?
(a) Take it back and give it to Athens.
(b) Throw it into the sea.
(c) Give it to Apollo.
(d) Break it.
15. When the Herdsman is telling Iphigenia about the capture of the strangers, he mentions something about their country's custom towards strangers. What is their country's custom towards strangers?
(a) To put them on a trail.
(b) To sacrifice them.
(c) To have a feast.
(d) To toss them into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iphigenia think her dream is about in Part 1?
2. When the Chorus begins speaking in the opening of Part 2, what type of rocks do they speak of?
3. What two things does the Herdsman tell Iphigenia to get ready for the young men to be sacrificed?
4. When Iphigenia and Orestes are speaking to each other outside the temple in Part 3, who does Orestes tell Iphigenia is no more trustworthy than a fleeting dream?
5. What does Orestes call Iphigenia throughout Part 3?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)