|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the ship that Orestes, Pylades, and Iphigenia have escaped to begins to be driven backward towards the land, what does Iphigenia start to do?
(a) Sing to the Gods.
(b) Help row the oars across the seawaters.
(c) Cry and wail to her brother.
(d) Pray to Artemis.
2. In Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, Orestes is telling Pylades that he must leave and go back home. Orestes tells Pylades that he must go home and perpetuate his name. How does Orestes tell Pylades to perpetuate his name?
(a) To go home to his wife and bear children.
(b) To build an image of him.
(c) To tell everyone about him.
(d) To proclaim his name and his mission to all the inhabitants of Hellas.
3. What does Orestes tell the messenger when he and the others are trying to stop Orestes and Pylades from escaping?
(a) That he is Iphigenia's brother and he's going to take her home.
(b) That he is too proud to die in the land of Taurus.
(c) That he is sealing his fate with stealing the image of Artemis.
(d) That he is seeking revenge for Apollo.
4. In Part 5, why does Iphigenia ask the guards to wrap the young strangers' cloaks over their heads?
(a) To show reverance for the sun's pure light.
(b) So people cannot see them.
(c) So the Gods will only know their identity.
(d) To protect the citizens from harm.
5. Who does the Herdsman consider a suitable victim and pleasing sacrifice for Artemis?
(a) A member of his own herdsman.
(b) The two young men that came by ship.
(c) No one; he does not agree with sacrificing.
(d) Iphigenia herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 6 of Iphigenia of Taurus, who says "that purification was a trick"?
2. In the opening of Part 4 of Iphigenia in Taurus, who says, "this is no cause for joy, when death parts friend from friend"?
3. When Iphigenia starts asking Orestes many questions in Part 3, Orestes finally asks her why she is so interested in Hellas. What is Iphigenia's reply to Orestes' question?
4. What does Iphigenia actually do inside the temple?
5. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)