|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Orestes asks Iphigenia if she actually sacrifices the victims, Iphigenia tells him that she does not, but that she purifies the victims. How does Iphigenia purify the sacrifice victims?
(a) By casting water on their heads.
(b) By reading them a sacred poem.
(c) By fire.
(d) By having them pray to Artemis.
2. What is the first thing Iphigenia requests of King Thoas when beginning with the purification ritual after she finishes explaining the need for the ritual?
(a) That the strangers' arms be bound with cords.
(b) That the strangers remain unbound.
(c) That the strangers get a chance to speak.
(d) That the strangers do not know where they are.
3. What is the name of the priest that Iphigenia questions Orestes about in Part 3?
4. While Iphigenia is speaking to the Chorus, she mentions that she is without what four things?
(a) Brother, friend, country, and horse.
(b) Friend, ship, family, and country.
(c) Country, child, farm, and fortune.
(d) Husband, child, city, and friend.
5. In Part 5 of Iphigenia in Taurus, the first person to speak asks if something is blazing. What does this person inquire about?
(a) The fires on the city gates.
(b) The red sun.
(c) The temple laterns.
(d) The strangers' bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 3 of Iphigenia in Taurus, what does Iphigenia order the guards to untie?
2. When Iphigenia is speaking to King Thoas, she tells him that the holy image of Artemis shrank backward. What does she tell King Thoas this event reveals to her?
3. What is the name of Iphigenia's grandmother on her mother's side?
4. When Iphigenia speaks to the Chorus, why is she in mourning?
5. In Part 3, what does Iphigenia suggest will happen to Orestes' friend, Pylades, if she sets Orestes free to deliver a letter to Argos?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)