|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What truth about the Brotherhood does the narrator realize in Chapter 20?
2. In Chapter 14, why is Mary cooking cabbage?
3. The narrator becomes dizzy at the thought that true saviors might actually be where?
4. What does Brother Tod Clifton do?
5. What does the narrator spontaneously decide to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary problem with the instructions given to the narrator to gather more members?
2. Explain the irony of the figurine owned by Mary.
3. Why is Ras' anger ironic?
4. What puzzling irony does the narrator tell us about the human race?
5. Why do Dupre and his men choose a particular building to burn?
6. To what does Brother Tarp attribute the warning letter?
7. What epiphany has the narrator experienced regarding his race?
8. Identify several mistakes that the narrator makes in his first assigned speech in Harlem.
9. What is meant by "white fever"?
10. What was the narrator's real problem, and how has he settled it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times the narrator recalls his grandfather's dying words. Discuss the situations in which the narrator recalls his grandfather, showing how he reacts to those memories upon different occasions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the following items: the figurine bank, the dark glasses, the briefcase, the dancing dolls, the piece of chain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of white vs black and dark vs light throughout the novel. How are these contrasting concepts used in unexpected ways?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)