|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator get invited to participate in the Battle Royal?
2. What does the narrator recall having been given instead of a cigarette?
3. What does the narrator discuss with the woman in his dream?
4. What does the narrator tell Mr. Emerson that he wants to do with his future?
5. What would the narrator like to add to his "hole"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the veteran at the Golden Day understand that the narrator does not?
2. What favor does the young Mr. Emerson do for the narrator?
3. What does Mary Rambo want the narrator to do?
4. Explain the irony of the sign "Keep American Pure with Liberty Paints."
5. Why is Harlem a particularly appropriate setting for the novel?
6. Of what "irresponsibility" are sleepwalkers and dreamers accused?
7. What mistake does the veteran doctor predict the narrator will make?
8. What is the objective of Rev. Barbee's sermon?
9. Describe Dr. Bledsoe.
10. To what kind of action has music called the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the novel, the graduating black boys are deliberately used as cruel sport for the white men at a club. Norton is at the club with all the other white men. Norton does not care about the black boys any more than anyone else does. Therefore, what is his purpose at the college? Explain the things that Mr. Norton and Brother Jack have in common.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the women in the novel: Mary, Emma, Sybil, the nuns, and the white woman at the rally. What role do the women play in the narrator's development?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the following items: the figurine bank, the dark glasses, the briefcase, the dancing dolls, the piece of chain.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)