|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the vet react when Mr. Norton tries to explain his interest in the college?
2. The image of the slave owners bidding for a naked girl is
3. How does the narrator regard Mr. Bledsoe?
4. In addition to his memories, what else has the narrator lost?
5. What unexpected sight does the narrator see in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator expect from his visit with Mr. Bates?
2. What does Mary Rambo want the narrator to do?
3. How does the setting in chapter 5 provide additional foreshadowing?
4. Of what "irresponsibility" are sleepwalkers and dreamers accused?
5. How has the narrator ended up in the factory hospital? How is he being treated once he gets there?
6. Why does the drug store have the pork chop and grits special?
7. Describe Dr. Bledsoe.
8. Why is important to know that the introduction was written 30 years after the novel itself?
9. How was the narrator's graduation speech a betrayal of black people?
10. What does the narrator notice while waiting for his appointment with the trustees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times the narrator recalls his grandfather's dying words. Discuss the situations in which the narrator recalls his grandfather, showing how he reacts to those memories upon different occasions.
Essay Topic 2
Being invisible can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. By the end of the novel, how does the narrator intend to use his invisibility? Is the state of being invisible to the inner eye of other people something that can be changed? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the women in the novel: Mary, Emma, Sybil, the nuns, and the white woman at the rally. What role do the women play in the narrator's development?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)