|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell Mr. Emerson that he wants to do with his future?
2. Dr. Bledsoe is preoccupied with what?
3. How is the narrator's invisibility related to his residence?
4. Why is the narrator offended by the man behind the drugstore counter?
5. What group of society is represented by the white men at the Battle Royal?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what kind of action has music called the narrator?
2. What lie does Dr. Bledsoe expect the narrator to tell?
3. How was the narrator's graduation speech a betrayal of black people?
4. Why do the grandfather's dying words make the narrator feel guilty about receiving praise?
5. What does Dr. Bledsoe mean by "acting the nigger."
6. What surprises the narrator upon his arrival in Harlem?
7. What is the objective of Rev. Barbee's sermon?
8. Describe Dr. Bledsoe.
9. Why was the narrator doomed to fail at the paint factory?
10. What does the veteran at the Golden Day understand that the narrator does not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the narrator mean when he talks about "existing outside of history"? Where does he envision himself by the end of the story? Since he never tells us his name, has he ultimately clarified or further obscured his self-discovery and identity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast the leaders of the Brotherhood with Dr. Bledsoe and Mr. Norton. How does each group accomplish or fail to accomplish their ultimate goals?
Essay Topic 3
Blindness is one of the most pervasive motifs of the novel. Discuss the different types of blindness that are represented by the characters, for example, Norton, Mary, the two nuns, Brother Jack, Ras, the narrator himself, and others. Choose three or four characters that represent different types of blindness and explain how their blindness influences their actions and decisions. Is there anyone in the novel who sees clearly, whether he uses his sight for good or for evil purposes?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)